MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky

Thread: This Sucks!

Banned

This Sucks!

Ok not really but really.

I fired up the pot to cast some 12ga slugs from a mould that I've borrowed and need to return.

so while I was at it I cast some 41 cal boolits too since I was out.

Finally got the right barrel locking lug from TC as the original one didn't work. Got it on with no trouble.

used my new die set to prep some brass and then went to "bell" the mouth of the case. RATS no 'beller'

so went to slug my barrel. .401x.410 and pretty much no lead.

So my .412 as cast boolits have to be sized. So no sizer either.

So shooting my 41 mag has gotten off to a slow start.

Anyone got an idea of how to bell the case mouth if you don't have a 41 cal 'necksizer'?

also need a .411sizing die for the boolits...

Boolit Master
    I used to just run a pair of needlenose around the inside of the case. Maybe with a 41, a pair of regular pliers would work. The outsides have about the right curvature. If you have some old punches lying around that are big enough, most anything like that will work.

Boolit Master
    To get good rentention on my 44 mag loads I switched to an expander from a 30 carbine die set ( this was before Lee Universal expander) All it did was flare but not expand the case. Great neck tension but requires fairly hard boolits to keep the case from sizing they as they are seated!

Any expander for a round smaller than 41 mag should get it done for you!

Yes, agree with heavymetal, on the Lee, or a tapered punch, might have to cut a little off the front of the punch. Been there..........

Blammer, I never heard of a .41 mag die set that wouldn't bell the case mouth. What brand is it?

Boolit Grand Master

In absolute deperation you can size your boolits by removing your revolver cylinder and drive the boolits through from the rear through the chambers using a 3/8 wood dowl long enough to keep you from tapping on the cylinder back. Light taps .. a little lube and youŽll have sized boolits.

size brass with a revolver cylinder. Wonder if you could thread the cylinder and screw it in your press? I guess it could be made into a turret effect.

Not recently, but what to use for an expander oft gets about as many posts as to what to use for an ingot mold. Get those bullet looking chrome gizzies off the grill of a 1949 DeSoto and mount them on your garage door. On the grill of your vehicle mount some shell holders. When you pull up to your garage just barely bump into the mounted grill gizzies and they'll have the perfect flare. If all else fails buy a Lyman M tool.

Boolit Master

emergency beller

I keep a 50 BMG bullet in one of my loading bench drawers for just such emergencies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    Not recently, but what to use for an expander oft gets about as many posts as to what to use for an ingot mold. Get those bullet looking chrome gizzies off the grill of a 1949 DeSoto and mount them on your garage door. On the grill of your vehicle mount some shell holders. When you pull up to your garage just barely bump into the mounted grill gizzies and they'll have the perfect flare.
    Mr. Carpetman, I'm posting to let you know that this technique is not very efficient. After 37 cases I spent $421.06 to re-hang the door. Since the airbag also deployed, I've another $300+ in auto repairs to do. And I have a black eye.

This averages to $19.48 per cartridge case; I'm rather certain there is a more suitable accommodation to be found.

Tom

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405 View Post
    I keep a 50 BMG bullet in one of my loading bench drawers for just such emergencies
    458 RNFMJ - Same purpose.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Use another caliber expander.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bltsandwedge View Post
    mr. Carpetman, i'm posting to let you know that this technique is not very efficient. After 37 cases i spent $421.06 to re-hang the door. Since the airbag also deployed, i've another $300+ in auto repairs to do. And i have a black eye.

This averages to $19.48 per cartridge case; i'm rather certain there is a more suitable accommodation to be found.

Tom
    rotflmao!!!!