Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Zoli Zouave Musket and winged caps

Boolit Buddy

Zoli Zouave Musket and winged caps

how tight are the winged caps supposed to fit on the nipple?

If i put one on mine, and roll the rifle over it falls off,,,thinking its time for a new nipple,

Ive taken my nipple to the hardware store, and it fits BOTH a 5/16 and M8x1 nut,
    so what Nipple do i buy from track of the wolf for replacement?

is it worth it to get the Number 11 nipple also? pro's and cons?

thanks

That should be an 8x1M thread and yes Track of the Wolf is a great place to get a Treso cone for it. Don't bother with the No. 11, it's difficult to use and the musket lock is designed for musket caps. good luck.

Boolit Buddy

If the cap actually "falls off" you may have #11 nipple, instead of the musket nipple you should have.
    I have never had any problems with musket caps using a musket nipple.
    In fact, I prefer musket nipples on some of my cap locks because that little #11 cap can sometimes be a real bear with these old arthritic fingers, even when using a Ted Cash caper. A few loose Musket Caps in my bag, that I use my fingers to seat, is often preferred by me, but that is strictly a personal thing IMO.

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

If I remember right, the Zoli-Zooies came with both a musket and a #11 nipple. As already stated, go with the musket nipple, preferably in stainless steel...and a spare mainspring while you're at it. Zoli springs weren't tempered the best.

Boolit Grand Master

The winged cps are slit on the sides and a slight pinch and they fit as tight as you want them to. Many of the guns had a #11 nipple installed so make sure you have the right cap for the nipple. And make sure you have a new nipple with the proper size flash hole as some of the early Itie nipples were almost bored straight through and gave you a self cocking gun.

Boolit Buddy
    My Zoli Zouave takes the standard 5/16x24tpi nipples.
    "For a man, be he ever so much resolved to do his duty as a parent, can't be flogging his children all day....."

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).

The Zoli Zouaves had a spare nipple seated into the wood of the stock inside the patch box. If the rifles had the musket nipple installed then the spare would be for the #11. I have musket nipples in all four of my .58 rifles and the musket caps fit them all just fine. None will fall off if the rifle is inverted. I think Rbak is right.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Many, MANY years ago, I switched out the standard "musket nipple" with an Ampco nipple that would use #11 caps in an original Barnett Enfield that I had in my collection. The main reason I switched it was because I was having trouble getting muskier nipple but did have access to #11 Remington caps (which were 25 cents a tin of 100). About the only musket caps that were readily available were the old Alcan musket caps which were sometimes "iffy".

At any rate, the #11 actually did work pretty well but as soon as I was able to get musket caps. I switched back to the musket nipple. A musket lock, in most cases, is a "heavier" lock - for want of a better word and it will hammer hard on a #11 nipple as opposed to a musket nipple. If you get caught in a bind - try it but IMHO, a musket nipple and cap is much preferable. A winged cap is much easier to "flick off" after firing.