Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41mag wadcuctter.

41mag wadcuctter.

Hi all,

First post here! I have been lurking around a while, and finally decided to join.
    Anyways I just got my hands on an old lee 410-208-WC and was wondering if anyone had any data for this boolit? I have never loaded full wadcuctters in anything, plenty of semi wadcuctters though. So I was thinking I would seat to the last grove and put about 8 grains of unique behind it.... I also have some universal, HS-6, and win 296.
    I'm not looking for full mag so the 296 is pretty much out.... Any help would be appreciated!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	177173

Boolit Master
    Wish I could help but I've never loaded a full WC in a 41. What dia. do they drop at?
    Thanks Aaron

They are dropping at .412, and my 657 mountain gun chamber throats are .410. Also, I'm not sure if I want to tumble lube with lee liquid alox or make up some 50/50 beeswax Vaseline and pan lube...

Boolit Master
    looks like a good cast - --lots bearing surface area---your load -- of 7-8 gr sounds good -start low - I would start at 6 -have fun --share info with us just my
    humble opinion

I don't know if this will help, but I load a 260 Grn. FWC for 44. I use between 7 and 8 grns of Unique. I would take a load for a comparable bullet and start on the low side and work up to where you want it.

BTW, I use that 44 wad cutter load in a 2x4 match and it's a real board buster.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

It's not the same, but I cast the H&G #255 175gr full wadcutter. They usually throw about 180 gr. I tried 4 gr Vectan BA-10. They are going 700-775 depending on barrel length/gun. When I'm doing my part they will cut out the X-ring on a 25 yd bullseye target. Hope that helps with the extrapolation.

Vendor Sponsor

Unique would do great up to the low end of magnum velocities. I use HS-6 in my Vaquero .45 Schofield conversion with a 250gr Ogival Wadcutter and it does great. Either of those would launch the boolit in your photo into the 1000 ~ 1100fps range. I would lean toward your beeswax based lube and away from alox, but that's just me.

I can also accommodate sizing throats to .4115" or .4125" if you need it done send a PM lots of happy customers here.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-23-2016 at 12:29 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I use that boolit sized to 411 [could go to 410]
    in my 41's it's stupid accurate.
    your 8grs of unique will work, I'm using 8.5 in my Rugers.
    I seat it with the front band exposed.
    in my hunter model I have to press each round in the chamber and spin the cylinder to make sure it's seated.
    not conducive to quick reloads for sure
    but the 6 nice round [paper punched like] holes all but touching each other at 25yds is worth the extra effort.

Awesome! Thanks for all the tips! I just realized all my .41 mag brass is loaded.... Oh well planning to hit the range this weekend anyways. I should have a nice pile of brass to load up to try these out next weekend!

I myself am soon going to be loading .41 Wadcutters.

I do not have a mold, and I have not found any so far, so I sent off to "mattsbullets" and got some of these.

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...gpg0la4g8shn82

Dies have not arrived yet, so, "soon"...

Sounds like 'UNIQUE' is a good choice for this sort of thing?

And a Beeswax based Lube then?

I do not plan to be loading these to full power...just some medium power range to have fun with the Revolver with some Paper Target stuff.

I will also load some up in Black Powder...see what they do...just for fun.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 09-23-2016 at 01:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    If you are lube looking-- try giving a look at White Label lubes-- they are vender here on CAST BOOLITS

Boolit Master
    You'll like the 41 wadcutters, they're for more than 38s. I load a 200 grain 44 mag wadcutter in front of 6.0 of bullseye that will take care of vermin quite well at 50 yards.

Ebner

Start with 6.5g of HP-38/W231 or 6.0g Tight Group. No need to push them hard, just watch your accuracy and continue working up until the recoil and groups are where you want them.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    I myself am soon going to be loading .41 Wadcutters.

I do not have a mold, and I have not found any so far, so I sent off to "mattsbullets" and got some of these.
    I have a 4 cavity one of these but haven't used it yet.
    http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php/e-...11-hb-wc-2-cav

Groo here
    Use Trail Boss powder , fill to bottom of bullet, start at 90% by weight, light with hot primers, and use a GOOD crimp.
    Use with 215gr SWC 41 loads [6gr] and shoots tight and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I have a 4 cavity one of these but haven't used it yet.
    http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php/e-...11-hb-wc-2-cav
    Nice looking Mold/Boolit..!

Range report on the 410-208-WC... First test run was 7.5 grains of unique, bullet seated with the front band exposed, tumble lubed with LLA, and a good crimp. The shot very accurately at 25 yards. The paper was ripped to shreds big jagged hole but a perfect wadcuctter cutout in the backer(this had me scratching my head). Also I noticed I was getting some lead fouling on the mouth of my brass.... I'm going to make some 50/50 beeswax/Vaseline tomorrow. And am going to try to get some trail boss or w231....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Nice looking bullet.

Have one of the MiHec WC molds that will throw a full solid WC or a HB or HP...

For reasons unknown I did not record what powder I put in the initial test rounds but I believe it was my standard 8.0 grains of Unique.. Using the bullet as a HP the velocity was 1302 fps from a 4" S&W 657....

Wadcutters take up a LOT of space inside the case so cut your loads way back from a "normal" bullet that has a lot of lead outside the case...

Bob

The HS-6 is good too with lighter loads. I use it often with SWCs from 180-270gr, MP HBWC and several other bullets in .44mag. Have not had great results with Alox myself, much better results with a 50/50 mix of BAC and Carn red.

dkf - have you looked at any recovered bullets with that 50/50 mix? I'm curious if the mix allows for the higher vis. cara red to be a bit more sticky with the BAC addition. I run just straight red, wonder if some of the flyers are from balance mis-match with some of the red flaking off.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK