WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I love the 06

Banned

two more going in the freezer today because of an 06

Boolit Master

After reading this thread, I need to get out with a 30-06 more. All three of mine are mil-surps. A Garand, an 03-A3 and a USA Enfield 1917. All 3 are only shot with cast. I haven't shot any of them enough to settle on a favorite load.

I hate the upcoming election. I'm too busy accumulating brass and it is too far to the range.
    John
    W.TN

My very short list of 30-06 rifles I want/need:
    M1 Garand
    Remington 760
    Remington 03A3

Boolit Master
    I too love the 30-06, and 308 cause there are many options for cast boolits, but when I go hunting I always grab my 270, I guess cause the rifle fits me well, and I am confident with, and hey Jack O'connor used it for everything! But long live the grand ole '06!

Boolit Buddy
    The most capable caliber of all time imo.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Add the Remington 721 to my list. The granddaddy of the modern bolt action. I love its huntability.Best, Thomas.

I have had many 30/06s, the only disappointing one was a 742, late 60s. This wasn't just mine
    they were all 3" shooters. I had a 721, Lyman 57 reciever sight that was my everyday carry gun
    around the farm. I bought it as not to scuff up one of my good rifles, gun shot as well as my pre
    64 Win m70. One of my favorite deer rifles is a old 95 Win in 30/06. I have shot many deer with
    it. I have to many 30/06s now. I'm keeping the M-70 & M-95 Wins and trading the others off.

Boolit Buddy

I lost 21 or so guns in a house fire 8 years ago, two were Rem700 '06s. I looked at rifles like a kid in a candy store for years without buying anything. Oh I replaced most of the handguns I lost and the 22lrs without much hesitation but I reall only wanted one all around utility rifle and opinions were coming at me left and right. A friend at work had a Win M70 fwt in 30-06 he wanted to sell because , according to him, it wouldn't eject spent rounds properly. Long story short I bought the gun for $250.00. $20 and a new ejector spring later I have a rifle now that I wouldn't part with for twice he price. I have some pretty awesome loads for that rifle ranging from 110gr soup can cast Boolits up to 180gr j-words. What a great round the 30-06 is.

I have an Interarms Mark X in 30-06 of uncertain manufacture date, that was given to me by my stepfather. It is in lightly used shape, although I have taken it to the field almost every year. Nowadays I shoot cast almost exclusively with it. A moderate load with the Lyman 311284 is my preference. It will handle anything I need to around here in SW PA. It is my preferred deer rifle, and I will never sell it. Not sure which of my girls it should to go after I'm gone.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

the 06 sucks. The .308 is better in every regard.

It sucks so much I only have 3 of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

I have killed many deer with the 06 with every bullet weight from the so called 90 grained plinker to 200 grain SP my favorite is the 200 grain SP it doesn't bloodshot as much meat as the lighter bullets.I have killed deer at close ranges to about 600 yards out.The 600 yard shot was stepped off by another guy that was watching me and could not blieve that I was even taking the shot.I held about 30 inches high.This is where the training from Army on the 600 meter silhouette shooting came into play (one of the few things I found useful from the Army) like it has been said you cannot go wrong with the 06 it has been here for over a hundred years and likey to be here as long as we are still able to own weapons for the next hundred years.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Always did love the 06.The first one that I ever shot was the Springfield that my Father carried in WW1.Was 12 years old.Got my first deer with the first shot too.That rifle disappeared and we still don`t know where it went.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Once the bullet leaves the barrel it is no longer a .30-06. It is just a 165 grain 30 caliber bullet traveling at 2850 FPS.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Once the bullet leaves the barrel it is no longer a .30-06. It is just a 165 grain 30 caliber bullet traveling at 2850 FPS.
    Well, that is really not much of a description, now is it. The cartridge is over a hundred years old. It was made primarily for one thing initially. Sportsman have used it since then. Powders and Bullets have changed during that century. It is the most versatile 30 cal. It pushes the 150 gr to 180 gr bullets from about 2800 to a bit over 3000 fps giving good range, energy, and wind deflection to pass most normal hunting situations encounter from swamps/woods to cut corn and long hardwood ridges. This can usually be done with at least a 90% loading.It will tackle the Key deer to the grizzly. It has gone through all the new era social media knocks for a century and still is the most chambered round, I wonder why. Plus it has got that ole american panache like when Sergeant York wetted his thumb and then wiped his front sight.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    Amen. With the exception of a 20" Handi-Rifle in 30-06 that would not be made accurate, every rifle I have owned in this caliber has been a treat. Never really "needed" it back east where a deer at 60 yards was an unheard of long range shot and a 30-30 with iron sights was plenty of rifle but headed out Friday on a pack trip for elk in CO and it's the 30-06 and 180 grs that will be making the trip. Such a reliable and versatile cartridge.

Most of my 30-06 shooting was with a M1 Garand shooting High Power. Still have the Springfield but it has a Douglas barrel now. The throat went out on the original barrel but once I had the Douglas put on I quickly learned I could shoot 125 - 130 grain bullets real good on 100 yard reduced targets and 200 yard slow and rapid stages. 155's at 300 yards and 168's at 600 yards. Very consistent with all of those weights and lower recoil with the lighter ones too.

My best hunting shot was with a sporterized 03A3 with a Williams peep on a 275 yard running deer, 4 out 5 hits with the last being a DRT.

But a 200 grain 338-06 at 2800 FPS is whole nother level of performance off the '-06 case that is amazing out in the field.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Call me boring but I could probably get by with that o6 and my 4 5/8s 44 mag super Blackhawk for all my hunting dutys till I died.
    Love simple stuff.

A friend just got a 1964 Remington 700 with the sights still on it & a Weaver K4. It has the early 20" barrel and of course it's a 30-06. I'm coveting....

Ok, so this year I only shot a moose with my 06. But I did it with 200 grain Partitions that I have been saving since my very first year of guiding back in 1990. They were a gratuity from my very first hunter. So 26 years later I cashed in. what a great feeling with my 06.
    I have shot my biggest deer with that rifle, and my most memorable hunts have been with it in hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    Amen. With the exception of a 20" Handi-Rifle in 30-06 that would not be made accurate, every rifle I have owned in this caliber has been a treat. Never really "needed" it back east where a deer at 60 yards was an unheard of long range shot and a 30-30 with iron sights was plenty of rifle but headed out Friday on a pack trip for elk in CO and it's the 30-06 and 180 grs that will be making the trip. Such a reliable and versatile cartridge.
    Got my elk. A reasonable 5x5. Unfortunately, first shot he was on the run and I was high and behind - right through both tenderloins above the stomach, ruined them 170 yards. Anchored him though and second was a perfect through and through lung shot - 180 grs SGK, liquefied the lungs. He took two wobbly steps and was down and dead by the time I got to him. Love the 06.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk