RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong with brush+chore boy?

What am I doing wrong with brush+chore boy?

I've done lots of research on the copper pad+bore brush trick.

It isn't cutting it for me. I can't seem to get all of the lead out of the grooves in my 9mm Shield.

Is too much a bad thing? I have it loaded with copper strands. I have a good 20 passes in and there's still a lot in the grooves.

Boolit Master
    I'd appreciate a video demonstration if possible . I've ruined a few choreboys cutting them up and wrapping around bore brushes with no success either. I found soaking the barrel in atf and a standard oversized bore brush worked well for me though.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Are you brushing dry? I use Kroil, seems to help a lot, but regular bore solvent also works. The brush needs to be tight fit too.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Perma-Banned

I have never used oil and always had great success with choreboy and have cleaned some pretty bad bores, years ago. However, oil is sure to help with "chore".

Boolit Bub
    I use an old worn-out bore brush as a base and then wrap a good chunk of ChoreBoy around said brush. I brush dry, and it works.

I've been brushing with Hoppes. New bronze brushes, stainless steel brushes, chore boy.. all no dice.

I am going to try the vinegar/peroxide soak. Will use safety precautions.

In another thread... I need to figure out why the thing is leading in the first place!

Boolit Master
    A regular copper bore brush with a cloth patch wrapped over the bore brush with steel wool or chore boy on top of the cloth patch will remove the lead with some oil on the cloth patch.
    Have removed lead when other people could not get the lead from the barrel.
    The bore brush with the oily patch will keep the steel wool or chore boy material very close to the bore of the barrel which AIDS in removing the lead. Some times two patches is required to get the cleaning metal fibers into the groves. The assembled cleaning arrangement needs to fit tight in the barrel to work.

Boolit Bub
    9mm barrels are a PITA to delead. To get my m&p9L barrel clean took countless passes and over an hour to finally get clean....

Was running bore brushes, patch jigs covered with a patch with chore boy on top, you name it. I couldn't figure out an easy way to deal with it. Guessing I'm doing it wrong too.

If your barrel is hard, order some stainless steel bore brushes from Brownell's. They remove everything. Quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moderator Emeritus

I use a properly sized brass jag, cotton patch soaked in Ed's Red, 0000 steel wool (about 20 or 30 strands)...never fails.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I have always used a jag with a patch of cloth or paper towel covered with chore boy. I first run a snug patch covered jag through the barrel without the chore boy with Kroil / Ed's Red etc. Then I wrap the patched jag with chore boy and run it through the barrel several times. The tighter the better.

Have Fun,
    JCherry

Boolit Master

For heavy leading in a handgun's bore, it's really hard to beat the Lewis Lead Remover. While "old school," it has been available for decades as it really works well.

https://youtu.be/bP69SZDwbjw
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    This stuff works wonders... much better than chore boy, etc. A few strands on your brush, and a few passes and lead is gone! I have used just this without solvent and it still works.

http://www.big45.com/
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

If you have a marine or boating store nearby get some bronze wool, it's easy to wrap around the bore brush and a little harder than pure copper. Tim

Banned

Not something I want. First is to stop leading at the start. I go 3 to 5 years without a bore cleaning. Actually never need it. I clean cylinders to get fresh STP on pins and the ratchet. I never need to touch the bore.
    Your alloy or lube is failing.

Boolit Master
    for a barrel with bad leading 20 passes is nothing.

Boolit Master
    Interesting that your .44 stays that clean. I know that mine stays clean, but I've been cleaning it after each session, probably unnecessarily.

My PPQ .45 has a polygonal barrel and after a couple hundred rounds has a trace of lead at the beginning of the rifling. The only bad leading I have ever had in a firearm was from about 30 rounds of .22 Thunderbolt through my Ruger SR22. I could barely see through the barrel and the lead had stalactites sticking out ... couldn't even get a brush through it. I must have been squirting bullets through the mess before the gun stopped.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Get a Birchwood Casey Lead remover& Polishing cloth. Cut it into patches and using a smaller than nine jag clean the barrel. I've even cleaned up Nagant barrels that I believe hadn't been cleaned ever. Give it a try, only five bucks. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I too use Kroil (not really oil, but a "light penetrating" oil) and often squirt/soak the barrel with it. It seems to "seep under" lead and removing it is easier. I've read of "antimony wash" that appears to be leading but is much harder to remove. I may have experienced that with one of my 9mms...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 302w View Post
    I've been brushing with Hoppes. New bronze brushes, stainless steel brushes, chore boy.. all no dice.

I am going to try the vinegar/peroxide soak. Will use safety precautions.

In another thread... I need to figure out why the thing is leading in the first place!
    Ed's Red Bore Cleaner, search the recipe , give the barrel a long soak, submerge it. Then work it over with the brush, steel wool / Chore Boy , wet with Ed's Red. That should get it.
    PS...20 strokes is just a start on a stubborn lead build up , I've spent three days cleaning some old neglected military bores , 30 to 45 minutes brushing, then soaking until the next day, 30 to 45 minutes brushing and soak until next day...day three will usually get it complete. If not....new barrel time !
    You can make a gallon of Ed's Red for less than $20.00 with all ingredients bought from Wally Mart
    Gary