RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ingot mold

Boolit Mold
    I also prefer the Lee ingot moulds. The ingots stack so nicely in 30 cal ammo cans.

Boolit Mold
    Ditto. Furthermore I have a gun shop just a block from my school and fuel (in Europe is something to take into account, going around in yard sales can be expensive) expense was nil.
    The LEE ingot mould works well for me

I prefer the lyman mold. The lee ingot mold has 1/2lb and 1lb ingots in the same mold. I want all my ingots the same size. I just bought an RCBS ingot mold that I'm wanting to trade for another lyman ingot mold. I'm not a fan of the RCBS.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Teflon breaks down around 450F, and one of its decomp children is FLOURINE or (phosgene?) gas. Can't remember. I DO remember that the breakdown products are NASTY. That's another reason why I don't use firearms lube with Teflon in a barrel; I promise it gets lots more hot than 450F in that environment!

NEVER use TEFLON in apps over 375F!

I know this because while working as an industrial hygienist for Kemper Corp. in the seventies, we called upon this place that was electroplating electrodes in a hot metal bath. The sprayed Teflon onto the parts they din't want the plating to adhere.

There were ALL MANNER of respiratory problems in the crew that manned that production line; we looked into it and found that the Teflon broke down around 450F, making nasties upon nasties for that crew to breathe.

I don't even like Teflon on pans any longer. That bottom of pan that is no longer coated with Teflon? Guess where it went???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacd View Post
    Teflon breaks down around 450F, and one of its decomp children is FLOURINE or (phosgene?) gas. Can't remember. I DO remember that the breakdown products are NASTY. That's another reason why I don't use firearms lube with Teflon in a barrel; I promise it gets lots more hot than 450F in that environment!

NEVER use TEFLON in apps over 375F!

I know this because while working as an industrial hygienist for Kemper Corp. in the seventies, we called upon this place that was electroplating electrodes in a hot metal bath. The sprayed Teflon onto the parts they din't want the plating to adhere.

There were ALL MANNER of respiratory problems in the crew that manned that production line; we looked into it and found that the Teflon broke down around 450F, making nasties upon nasties for that crew to breathe.

I don't even like Teflon on pans any longer. That bottom of pan that is no longer coated with Teflon? Guess where it went???
    No problem - there is so little teflon (a couple thousandths thick) on the non-stick pans that the out-gassing is negligible...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    Teflon coated muffin pans from Walmart work great, about $6. They will create bubbled bottoms on your ingots the first 10-12 times you use them but that doesn't hurt anything. I use standard, mini, and square ones. When filled they hold about 20lb of lead.
    +1 Been using the same ones for years.

Boolit Buddy
    How to turn a regular tin type muffin tin into a good ingot mould. ( will not work on coated muffin tins)

(1) Place 1 teaspoon of vinegar (any style) into each muffin cup.
    (2) Cover muffin tray with Saran Wrap or tin foil
    (3) Pierce Saran Wrap / tin foil over each muffin cup with a push pin
    (4) Place outdoors in sunlight approx. 3-5 days and forget about it
    (5) Next time you think about the muffin tin Uncover muffin tin and discard vinegar.

Your muffin cups are now covered in rust. In fact you may want to wire brush some of it off.

Sticking problem solved

Ron H

Boolit Master

If you are using muffin tins, be selective, hold out for the aluminum ones. Lead will not stick-unless they are dented-DAMHIKT. You will not have to wait for them to rust, they never will.
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    If you are using muffin tins, be selective, hold out for the aluminum ones. Lead will not stick-unless they are dented-DAMHIKT. You will not have to wait for them to rust, they never will.
    Bill
    Wilton makes one piece aluminum muffin pans , in mini , regular , king size and jumbo....perfect for ingots. My mini-muffin pan has been in use for over 20 years. You might have to order them from Wilton as the one piece aluminum pans are hard to find.
    The one piece pans can be ordered from Wilton for $6.99 each. Check out their site and look at the photo's to see the one piece muffin pans , not every one is one piece or aluminum...some are coated steel and two piece.

I bought a two piece aluminum Wilton mini muffin pan just to test . Have used it only once during last big big smelting session, I had a large quanitity of scrap lead to make into ingots and it did just fine. None of the cups came out, nothing stuck to any ofof the pressed in cup edges.....but my other 1 piece pan is over 20 years old....so time will tell, but so far so good.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-21-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use a few different ingot moulds.

My default lead ingot mould, is the aluminum 4 brick Lyman.

I like the way they stack/fit in boxes with every other one inverted.

Used to have a Saeco version as well, but I've misplaced it over the years. Having two different types, helped me to easily segregate different alloys, before I started marking my ingots.

I also have a diving weight mould, for lead weight belts, but it's less convenient for cast boolit work. (and it could really use a handle)

One of my pet peeves is with the inexpensive and more common Lee brand lead ingot mould.

Many people seem to like overfilling the Lee ingot mould so as to make one large heavy segmented ingot, instead of 4 separate ingots. (2 small, and 2 large)

I have a buddy who does this often, and I end up having to break them apart to mix up batches of lead for my use. It's not a big deal if you have a huge lead pot. If you cast with a small pot, or in smaller batches it makes it harder for me to melt though..

Which brings me to my next point.

As I'm getting older, I often cast smaller batches of boolits at a time, using an electric ladle, instead of a bottom pour pot. If you are not familiar with the electric ladle, you can find more info about them by searching for a CPalmer Hot-Pot, or a Hilts Moulds Hot1. They used to be quite popular for pouring fishing jigs with.

Casting a few full wad cutters, with the hand held electric ladle.

Here's another Cast Boolits member who likes to cast with the Hot Pot.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...th-A-Hot-Pot-2

Anyhow, I'll blend bullet casting alloy into mini-muffin sized lead ingots, specifically for use with the hand held electric ladle.

My inexpensive rusted mini-muffin pan while not very pretty, has never failed to release the lead mini-muffin ingots with ease.

I find the smaller mini-muffin ingots more convenient for use with the Hot Pot. Here's a few larger bottom of the pot ingots, next to some mini muffin ingots for scale.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Wilton makes a 12 cup mini-muffin pan that is formed from 1 piece of aluminum. No seperate cups, no coatings...been using mine for 20 years. Only find them in the special birthday cake section of store. Not in the regular baking section. Go to Wilton's web site and see them.
    Spotted a 24 cup Wilton mini-muffin at wally-world and bought but this one has seperate cups rolled in . Made of all aluminum but haven't tried it out yet...12 cup 1-piece works like a charm.
    Again, you will find the Wilton aluminum pans in the party supply area of store not in regular baking section.

Gary
    I just bought a Wilton mini-muffin pan from Goodwill. All Aluminum, small cavities, just right for casting solder ingots. Anything in these small ingots will always be solder, and marked w/Sn oz...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    WalMart condiment cup ingot molds, cost me $4 total, cast 8 pounds at a time

If I may, how do you mount them to the metal? That is assuming that you do, cannot really tell from the picture. That is what I have been wanting to do, get 8 of them mounted to a piece of steel and can dump them out all at once. Maybe have to weld them.

Boolit Mold
    My favorite ingot mold for the last few years has been the Fox RunŽ 6-cup and 12-cup stainless steel muffin pans. I initially oil smoked the pans when they were new. The nice thing is that you can pour your ingots and walk away for a half hour without any worry of them sticking in the pans. They are a bit pricey compared to the Walmart aluminum and steel muffin pans but you only need to buy them once. Wayfair and Amazon usually have them available for sale.