Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swage Press from the Sticky section

Frosted Boolits

Swage Press from the Sticky section

Hey fellow swagers!

Has anyone contacted a machine shop to consider doing a group buy on these massive presses?

Thanks!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

I Think they have tried but theirs not a machine shop that will take the job

Frosted Boolits

I wonder why. These would be a breeze to make.

I know there are a few members who got burnt on presses from another member, but is there much interest in these? I would be talking about a completly finished product, professionally painted and all.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    Hey fellow swagers!

Has anyone contacted a machine shop to consider doing a group buy on these massive presses?

Thanks!
    Oh yah, contacted a local shop and he called me back when he reached $1200 on about half the plan estimate kkand asked if I wanted him to finish the estimate. Although he added that if I really wanted to setup a group buy to use his C & C he could offer a better price. However at 1200 for less than half the estimate left me scratching the bald spot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    I wonder why. These would be a breeze to make.

I know there are a few members who got burnt on presses from another member, but is there much interest in these? I would be talking about a completly finished product, professionally painted and all.
    Some one wrote about buying steel for 2 presses in the $250 range and could have saved a couple bucks ordering a different roll stock and save a little on the shipping by buying everything from the same vendor.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    That makes me wonder how RCE is able to make the Walnut Hill for only, what? $450.00? I guess it's more expensive if he never actually sends it but $450.00 is hella cheap! Sorry, my sarcasm is on high today.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    Well... RCE doesn't bill you until they ship it... so...

Chances are Richard has jigs set up to make building and assembly quick. He's also not just making 1 at a time which means the cost to produce goes way down. Any time you call a machine shop with a one off project you'd better bring a hefty wallet with you. When I built metal drums I'd have to order at least 10 at a time to make it worth the welders time.

Boolit Master

I have a CNC mill. I can accurately drill and bore the holes, and cut the slots to make these presses.
    I am not a welder, have no desire to honcho a group, and right now lack the wearwithall to purchase enough steel to make set up cost effective.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I have been working on one of these presses for a couple of months now,all the steel came from a scrap yard.I have access to a mill at work (my boss doesn't mind if i play while I'm on break)working on the parts 20 minutes at a time took a little planing on witch piece to work on, and get done in what order. It is now home no paint yet and not mounted (need to beef up my bench)if i added up the time to make this i would never be able to afford it!With scrap metal i don't have much $in it but i missed a lot of breaks.

Boolit Master
    Hi!
    Been a while from last time in forum..
    As it happens, i talked today with a friend of mine about swaging press issue.
    I happen to have Walnut Hill and i showed it to my friend who owns a machine shop.
    We talked about some improvements to the current design and he estimated the price to be around 500 for one. I talked that there might be also others interested so he said that if he get order for 10, the price might go to 450. I joked about possible order of 20, so he discounted another 50 from the price..
    Not bad, if it is available. The cromed rods will be replaced with pre hardened rods that are over 60 rockwell, and the surfaces that are painted as blue will be yellow passivated. Also the lower link will be milled out from bar stock.
    There will be some other improvements that we where talking about. But those are still under consideration.
    If anybody have some good ideas, i gladly hear them.
    I will start to draw the parts tomorrow.

S

Ps. Some preliminary talks about swaging dies. Might be possible in near future also.
    Last edited by seppos; 09-19-2016 at 03:28 PM.

My wife would kill me but if more interest develops on this my interest is increasing. If some more people jump on board I would figure out a way to get one.

Was there ever an official set of drawings put together for the press? I didn't want to go through the full sticky looking for prints. If not, I would say that's the place to start. I know quite a few machine shops and machinists, if I had a stack of prints to email around I could get quotes on a group buy.

Worse comes to worse, I can put the prints together. I'm a bit busy with a few other projects, but if there's a lot of interest I can put the prints together for the group. I seem to remember seeing a swaging press of similar design on one of the Grab CAD sites when I was looking for reloading press models....

Boolit Master

The first post has a link to Mat Morgan's drawing.
    http://mattmorgan.org/cb_press_v2.pdf

If this press that is "in the works" would be set-up to be able to load 50 bmg I would be interested. This means the distance between bottom of the top plate and shell-holder is sufficient, 1-1/2 x 12 die capability (with bushing), and screw-in type .50 shell-holder.

On another note/rant... I was looking at a Rockcliffe but Richard replied to my email a week later with: "i'm sorry I may have forgotten to reply to your email... what was it again that you were asking?" I mean he had to hit "reply" to the email in the first place right?
    Last edited by maxreloader; 09-20-2016 at 08:51 PM. Reason: deleted a comma
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Some how I missed that. Got it thanks.

If you can incorporate those features... I am "IN" for one providing the minimum qty IN's are met.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Good idea about the .50 ability. I already sent the pics forward but should not be a problem to make those little changes. I doupt that there will any changes to price as the changes are so little.

S

Boolit Master
    I checked the Matt Morgans plans. I will visit the machine shop today and ask price for complete press and for the kit. In the kit the welding should be done and the only things to be done for the customer would be the paint job and the assembly of the press.

S

Frosted Boolits

Welding should be eliminated and the use of SHCS incorporated in my humble opinion. It may even cut down on machining/setup time for the pivot holes in the toggle. Just my two pennies (plus it will give a more professional appearance.) Maybe get a price on black oxide and paint (for those that dont want to have to finish the press). Thanks!

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be in for one!
    Domari Nolo