Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: alloy for hollow points

Boolit Bub

alloy for hollow points

Any body got a specific alloy they use for 45acp and 9mm hollow points to get good expansion

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Use 1:40 tin-lead in revolvers below 900 fps. Use 1:30 above 900 fps to 1200 fps. Use 1:20 above 1200 fps. Soft alloys needed for reliable expansion can be problematic for feeding in autopistols. Pb-Sb-Sn alloys of proper hardness will work well in autopistols, but if Sb content exceeds Sn alloy will be more brittle and expanded nose will fragment.

Best results in autopistols generally with largest meplat with will feed reliably and give good crush with deep, reliable penetration. Hollowpoints fragile enough to expand may fail to give adequate penetration. Their best use is for varmint shooting to reduce risk of riccochet, not for defense or use on dangerous game. Two holes give better blood trail.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-18-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

20-1 alloy has given me good results for HP boolits, mine being used in 444 marlin and 45/70 have different issues to contend with than your auto loading pistol

The best alloy would depend on your mold. Lyman Devastators, call for wheel weights, other brands may be different. I'm using inexpensive ROTOMETAL and getting predictable results.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately you will need to experiment to get the best alloy for your load. Velocity of the bullet and type of bullet will mandate the alloy for your bullet/gun combination. Folks advised me to use wheel weight metal with my Lyman Devastator bullet mold for the 44 Magnum. My bullets fragmented horribly with that alloy. I softened up the alloy to a BHN of 9 (about a 1:25 alloy) and got excellent expansion and weight retention. Experimentation will be the key for you and your gun/bullet/velocity combination. Have fun!

Wheel Weight Alloy
    Attachment 176936

Softer Alloy
    Attachment 176937

It depends too on the size of the HP's hole, width and depth and boolit profile.

What molds are you using?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    I'll be using MP molds in 45acp 200 gr penta hp and 9mm 125gr penta hp they won't be for hunting target shooting and defense

Moderator Emeritus

I use a soft range scrap alloy (unknown composition) that measures about 8 BHN, for my revolver HP molds and HB molds, all of which have a fairly large hollow area.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance

20 - 1 is what I use for the HP boolets I use in .45 LC and .44 Mag. with decent results if I keep an eye on how fast I`m driving them.Robert