Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New Lee Auto Drum

New Lee Auto Drum

Just received my new Lee Auto Drum and have started testing consistency. For now I'm using HP-38 powder and testing a 4.0gr charge on the Lee Pro 1000 press in single stage to just throw powder. So far I'm seeing mostly spot on with occasional +0.1gr charges but most are zero or +0.05. For those already using this measure does that seem normal? So far I haven't seen any light throws.

Also when I start loading progressively with all three stations will I see a weight change?

Tomorrow the plan is to test some at 4.2gr to see if I get this same stability.

Boolit Mold
    I started using the Auto Drum as soon as they became available, mine is always spot on. I ordered the multi drum pack so I can leave a few drums set to specific loads and every time I go back to one of those they are always right where they are suppose to be. I do cycle the drum at least a dozen or so times before weighing charges to make sure its settled, and when I'm changing powders or weights, before loading rounds I verify consistency by throwing 10 charges into a pan and weighing the total. This I do twice, and its rare to be off more than a couple tenths over 10 charges depending on the powder, and some are almost always the same weight.

Boolit Bub
    I have a drum that gives me 8 grains of Unique. Another drum set for 7 grains of HP-38. Like dave33, I weigh 10 throws and weigh them on a Frankford electronic scale, and average them out. Then I verify the Frankford by weighing the 10 charges on a Lee scale. Always within a couple of tenths. For smaller charges of Unique, the Auto Drum is the only way to go.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Great powder measure and inexpensive enough to have dedicated turrets per caliber. I have three and am going to get another one. Get the risers makes changes much easier. Gp

Boolit Master
    Never average powder charges; we shoot them individually so each round stands alone. Averaging hides significant excursions and suggests they really don't count - but they do.

What I was doing with the Drum measure and the Disk measure before that was throwing each charge and weighing it individually to get a flow chart of each charge. Then I can actually see how consistent each setting is. With the Disk I actually recorded each hole and noted what charge I was getting with that powder and what the variance was from high to low.

With the Drum it appears I could close it down a smidge and get a + or - of 0.05gr of HP-38 or leave it as set and achieve 0 to +.1gr of this powder. I would think this is a very reasonable variance for a mechanical volumetric measure. For a handgun charge I'm not sure I could physically tell a difference of .1gr between 2 consecutive shots.

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Great powder measure and inexpensive enough to have dedicated turrets per caliber. I have three and am going to get another one. Get the risers makes changes much easier. Gp
    Inexpensive enough to have a complete powder measure for each turret you have set up. That way you can set it and leave it set up and not have to change anything until you decide to change powders or bullets for that caliber.

One of the primary reasons I purchased this measure is to load small light pistol charges. Many powders only have a charge spread of .5gr between high and low and that is hard to achieve with the Disk were only one or two cavities may fall between that range.

Yes, I never did like the Auto Disk measures for that reason. You either had to buy the adjustable charge bar for it (that didn't work very well for me), or you had to drill out a hole in one of your disks if you wanted to make a custom charge hole ( works better and the disks were cheap).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    One of the primary reasons I purchased this measure is to load small light pistol charges. Many powders only have a charge spread of .5gr between high and low and that is hard to achieve with the Disk were only one or two cavities may fall between that range.
    Thread a set screw into the side of the cavity that is just a little bigger than the size you want. Turn the screw in and out to zero it. You don't even need a tap, just find the correct size drill and let the set screw form the threads. I'll let you use your superior visual relationships abilities to determine exactly where to install the screw so it doesn't bind up the disc....

Quote Originally Posted by No Blue View Post
    Thread a set screw into the side of the cavity that is just a little bigger than the size you want. ....
    Had seen that trick also. Decided the Drum measure was a better way to go.