MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: 550 gr boolit & the H&R .45-70

Boolit Grand Master

550 gr boolit & the H&R .45-70

Greetings all,

I have a question: Does anybody have experience loading a 550 gr boolit in the Buffalo Classic? If so, any load suggestions? I'm looking to start long distance target shooting on the order of 500 to 600 yards. Thanks in advance. 725

Boolit Buddy

There's a good chance you're going to need to lengthen the throat, mine was too short to load Miha's 460 Hammer boolit as it came from the factory.
    I purchased a throater from Brownell's for a reasonable price.
    Also, be aware that the Buff has microgroove rifling.

CPL Lou

Here's the one I used from 4D:
    http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayit...6&tname=rental

They waive the deposit if you use a credit card. Dip it in cutting oil and go slow...you can't put it back.
    I took mine out +.240"
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    My friend and I loaded up some 525 grain Postells the other day. They shot just fine. A bore riding nose will fit in the throat no problem.

Boolit Master
    A long nose may do well. The standard 405 grain Lee mold has to be seated deeper than the crimp ring and I have to be careful not to push the boolit in to far. Neck sizing didn't work because there was nothing to keep the boolit from going in. So I have to partial size the brass when using those boolits. It no doubt has a short throat in the BC. That throat reamer might just be a good idea. I bought the 405 grain GC Lyman mold and I think the profile let me seat it to the crimp groove.

Rosewood

Boolit Grand Master
    You're giving me hope. In addition to the throat issue, I was wondering about the strength of the action vis-à-vis a boolit of that weight. What loads should I start to consider? I don't really want to start out with BP, but rather one of the smokeless.

Boolit Master
    The BC will handle more than your shoulder will. It will easily handle Marlin loads and if I had to take a guess, will handle more than Marlin, but maybe not as high as the Ruger #1 or bolt gun only loads.

Boolit weight is irrelevant to the strength of the action by itself. The factor that matters is the chamber pressures generated (which is affected by the boolit weight). Heavier boolit doesn't necessarily mean higher chamber pressures if you back off on the powder. Keep an eye for pressure signs and back off if you see any and you will be fine. You stay below published Marlin loads and you will not have an issue.

Rosewood

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Greetings all,

I have a question: Does anybody have experience loading a 550 gr boolit in the Buffalo Classic? If so, any load suggestions? I'm looking to start long distance target shooting on the order of 500 to 600 yards. Thanks in advance. 725
    And put a recoil pad of some sort on your BC.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    The BC will handle more than your shoulder will. It will easily handle Marlin loads and if I had to take a guess, will handle more than Marlin, but maybe not as high as the Ruger #1 or bolt gun only loads.

Boolit weight is irrelevant to the strength of the action by itself. The factor that matters is the chamber pressures generated (which is affected by the boolit weight). Heavier boolit doesn't necessarily mean higher chamber pressures if you back off on the powder. Keep an eye for pressure signs and back off if you see any and you will be fine. You stay below published Marlin loads and you will not have an issue.

Rosewood
    H&R said that the Handi-Rifle was good for Ruger #1 loads in 45-70 (I asked). Your shoulder will give out before the action will, trust me.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.