Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Al At NOE Molds

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Lee hasn't changed their Universal 'flare' die.

The Lee Universal 'flare' die comes with two universal flare inserts. For short pistol cases, you need to have both in the die, to flare a short pistol case...SOooo, for expanding the case mouth of a short pistol case using a NOE expander, you need to have one of the Lee 'flare' inserts in the die so the NOE expander is low enough in the die, to reach your 9mm case, to expand it.
    Good Luck
    Jon
    The problem I have is if I push a shell on the expander and drop the expander with the shell in it in the die, the case doesn't stick out the bottom of the die far enough to even let the shell holder even think of holding the shell. Then if I push the shell on the expander far enough to start flaring the case mouth then drop it in the die, the bottom of the shell is flush with the bottom of the die. I tried this with both the 9 mm and the 380. I with is was a mess up on my part assembling the die, but not the case here.
    Swaging. Keeping the 40's running for the price of .22's
    and .223 bullets for a fraction of a cent!

Yes Sir Al Nelson is great to do business with, speaking of I need to order some more of his molds

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by anotherred View Post
    The problem I have is if I push a shell on the expander and drop the expander with the shell in it in the die, the case doesn't stick out the bottom of the die far enough to even let the shell holder even think of holding the shell. Then if I push the shell on the expander far enough to start flaring the case mouth then drop it in the die, the bottom of the shell is flush with the bottom of the die. I tried this with both the 9 mm and the 380. I with is was a mess up on my part assembling the die, but not the case here.
    Are you using the Lee Universal flare die, or the Lee 9mm powder through expander die?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    On a recent order, through honest error, one small item was left off. Al quickly took care of the issue.

Boolit Buddy
    I got 2 of the the universal lee dies and got solid expander dies from AL to go with it.

Boolit Mold
    I appreciate that he has started a section for air rifles and made air rifle sizing inserts for his die...

Moderator Emeritus

I got 2 of the the universal lee dies and got solid expander dies from AL to go with it.
    OK, I guess I am wrong about Lee's Universal flare die not being changed. I hope Al can help you out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I'm just getting back into casting after a 15 year hiatus. I've only used Lee molds in the past and several had alignment issues.

This time I'm doing it right. Placed an order last night for a .401 and .501 mold from NOE, along with their push through sizer die and bushings for .431, .401, and .501

I've heard great things about his molds and can't wait to try them out.

Things sure have changed since I casted last. I've got some Hi tek powder and a convection oven on the way. Have to get with the times!

Boolit Grand Master

Probably shouldn't tell this story on Al but it shows the kind of guy he is so here goes: I hate my old RCBS mould mallet, it leaves splinters everywhere after a session with stubborn moulds....not NOE, of course.
    Al's mould mallet caught my eye, first time I tried to include in in an order he was out of the mallets. Soon another order came together around a new mould I "needed" and the mallet was in stock! The much anticipated package from Provo arrived in short order but no mallet! Quite honestly I was more excited about the mallet than the mould I ordered so was a bit disappointed. I ship stuff all over the country so I know this sort of thing happens so I called to let him know and to tell him not to ship the mallet a la carte as there was a group buy or production run (can't recall) coming together and he could ship it with a later order. He agreed, and within a few weeks I had a shiny new mould....and a really cool mallet! Can't recall which mould it came with (up to 14 now, I think) but that mallet is all I hoped it would be; no more splinters on my casting bench!
    Yes, I get excited about simple things...and GREAT customer service! I also get pretty excited over the quality of NOE moulds. They are precision works of art that work very well. Yep, he makes mistakes now and then, we all do. Never seen anyone quicker to offer a solution and more interested in resolving an issue than Al. My only regret is that it seems I always have two or three new NOE moulds waiting to be broken in. Last mould...part of a group buy or production run...probably won't see use for another year or two but I like to support his efforts to make small runs of semi-custom moulds.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

Cool just my 2 cents,

have had problems in the past ,and he took care of them promptly, cannot ask for more,

outside of getting mold runs started quicker (from the his forum) you know the ten or more posts thing, but then again, I would be constantly broke if they went quicker

Boolit Buddy
    For an update, AL gave me a call yesterday. Really nice guy on the phone, and I was happy he took the time to call. We'll see how this all plays out in the end, but I'm fairly certain he will make everything right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Man after my own heart - I have 10 at my computer desk - eventually they will move in with the other NOE's in the gun room but for now they need fondling time.
    I'm so glad to see I'm not the only mould fondler , I thought I had a problem !
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

Mould fondler. I like that, lol. Quite often a new arrival will sit here on the end table until I get around to breaking them in.
    Pace of the group buys was pretty brutal on my pocket book for over a year. I helped promote a few, bought a couple I wouldn't need for awhile, upgraded a few favorite Lee/RD moulds and even bought one or two I hadn't planned on buying. Luckily they were spread out a bit but I've learned to click the "Buy" button when he has the mould I want, sometimes it takes awhile to get them back on the shelf.
    Can't think of a mould I need right now but it seems I've run out of handles and ruined a few top punches.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Would you please post a pic or two? I'm having a devil of a time understanding what's going on. I use the NOE plugs with the Lee UED myself and as JonB said, depending on case length, it needs one of the Lee plugs pointy side up, pointy side down, or not at all.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Another package waiting at home tonite when I got off the road. a 311-155-FN RG4 GC.
    Suppose to be in the low 90's tomorrow. So I'll be sweatin while i send a couple pounds thru the new mold. Can't let it sit for a whole week with out some lead going thru it.

Boolit Buddy
    Heres a picture. This is with the brass pushed on the sizing die upto the stop/flair area and the sizer dropped all the way to the bottom of the die. 380 on the left, 9 on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3531.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	176319
    Last edited by anotherred; 09-10-2016 at 05:57 PM.