Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 20 gauge sabot suggestions

20 gauge sabot suggestions

I've been working on this 20 gauge plastic sabot. O.D right now is sitting at about .621 but I'll wait a few days and measure again. Has a tendency to shrink. I may have to open die up a bit. After a few mistakes the bullet for the sabot ended up being 325 grain, .452 cal. I see many of the major manufacturers run bullets lighter 250-275 grains. I haven't shot any of these rounds. I was trying for 300 grains. But it's trial and error ..any thoughts would be appreciated. DClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	174070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	174071

Boolit Master
    They look good, are you shooting them in a 20ga savage?

NYFF. I have an USH 20 gauge. Haven't fired any yet. The outsides are a little rough yet. I broke my reamer halfway through. So I had to order a new one this evening. Still have to finalize the size once plastic settles in. Just trying to get some opinions before I finish it up. . D
    Last edited by uncle dino; 08-09-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Uncle dino doesn't have time to shoot, he is too busy creating new projectiles for the rest of us to drool over.

BB

Basically it doesn't matter what slug you put in it. Are you trying for reloadable unit for market or just tinkering on your own for pleasure? If it is the sabot that you are truly interested in developing then let be the case. Shooters will pick and choose the boolits that best suit their shotties and their particular style of hunting. The 100 yd and under hunter might choose a boolit that is heavy with a big meplat. The shooter that watches cut corn may want a semi point, round nose, or something with a smaller meplat with length for BC enhancement. The shooter could also paper patch shim the boolit to his barrels liking.

The main concern is the sabot design and composition of the material used. For instance, the RS12 Blue and the earlier grey one I think has a seemingly tough material, but it seems brittle as well as elastic, just weird. The european's plastic type material may be recycled, reground or something. Like their hulls when after a few loadings their mouths start to split. Remington sabots seem like good material as well as Federal. Look at Hornady's SSTs, I believe the bullets that they use are the same diameter, but something has to be off somewhere in the hull thickness, hull ID, or inconsistency with their sabot petal thicknesses. If you get a good lot they can shoot real accurate. Ed Hubel back a couple of years ago developed a 12 ga sabot that seemed like it was pretty good from the result pics of fired sabots. I would of liked to acquired a few hundred of them. Just like MZLR sabots they are for example 50 cal and hold a 429 boolit and basically look the same, but they are entirely different, must be the material composition. That would be a key point to ponder about.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Slug Master in Remembrance
    The 12ga sabot I had company make was same plastic as the REM accutip.

Design was similar to accutip. used .575" minie bullets.Plastic was HDPE or

something like that, I think. Another run will be going by somebody, this fall maybe.

Are you using a plastic injection machine? Ed

I want to set the of the recess that holds bullet in to correct dimension. Too short, only light bullets. Too long, bullet can possibly move around in sabot..I don't really want to use a filler wad at the base of the bullet. If these work well, I will definitely offer them. D

Boolit Master
    I've just added some Polymorph plastic pellets to my "come in handy someday" collection, bought on eBay as usual. This seems promising for anyone who wants to make sabots for his own use at least. You simply put them in hot but not boiling water and mould them together.

It is biodegradable but the little I have tried doesn't look like being excessively degradable, and perhaps resilient enough to tailor your sabot to the inside of a plastic cartridge case, and yet capable of safely entering the forcing cone. I don't know if there is any shrinkage you would have to allow for. But once you have the right size of smooth cylindrical die, you can keep changing the dies you put into each end.

For round ball a ball-bearing could be incorporated into one punch. Or for a ball and sabot meant to stay together, like a Brenneke, the plastic could even be formed around a lead ball. The rear punch could be slotted for metal fins, to make a sabot capable of being squeezed down in the choke.