RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt SAA still being produced?

Colt SAA still being produced?

Perhaps this question is in ignorance, and if so please pardon it in advance!

Anyways, is Colt still producing the SAA? Every dealer I talk to around me pretty much laughs at me when I inquire, and believe that I am left to find one on gunbroker at primo prices.
    I was hoping they were still being produced, as I don't just want a collectible (though it will also be that).

Thanks!

Yes, they still make them.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

I wonder why I keep getting laughed off by dealers. Guess I'll have to look a little further out.

Not sure but in 08 my dealer laughed too, said "we might find you a good used one around, estate sales or the like. If you want new, your going to have to wait a while, they haven't shipped me a SAA in some time."
    I put my order in, waited 3+ months and Jerry called, sait it came in, I got to see it for an hour then he sent it somewhere back East for Ivory and that took 2 months...when he got it back he had it another 30 days while his Colt man went through it top to bottom...and, after all that I got my SAA. It was worth the wait, it's a gem.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Nice! That's what I'm hoping to do OS OK, and I don't mind waiting at all. Be more time to convince the wife on the purchase! But I need to find a dealer that will at least tell me it'll be awhile haha

Did you buy it as a shooter I hope? Or a safe queen?

Bought it for a shooter, 'iffin it don't shoot it don't go in the safe'... Years back, I bought Winchesters 'Legendary Lawman'...when I told my oldest son, "sure you can shoot it first"...the shop owner turned a bit green...said, "You aren't really going to shoot that rifle are you?" I smiled and said "of course, that's what they're made for!"

One of my dearest friends, enamored with the Colt SAA, Sam Houston said..."Alright Charles, let's go to my safe, I'll start counting off a stack of $100 bills, when you say 'stop', she's mine OK?" I just smiled and said I'd will it to you but, you're going to have to deal with my sons first though it's my daughter you're going to have to deal with in the end. Sam gave me a warm smile and said "I'm gonna get it!"

Boolit Buddy
    Close to 2 years from the Custom shop for a plain Jane.

*Sigh* If only I could find a dealer willing to order one lol

All the clones will get the job done for a lot less. It's just this...when we have a SAA day at our private range (we few handloaders in this area share info and techniques, love to compete and razz each other too) but when all the SAA's are out on the table and we're commenting on their qualities, it's the Colt that gets most admiration, not on looks so much as it does because the smith made it feel like it was made with ball bearings and the trigger being so crisp and clean...it's mostly about the mechanical feel.
    However long the wait, I'd wait, and don't get into a rush...let your smith trick it out.

Thinking I might just look for one of the 1971 NRA centennial commemorative models. They sell for a hair cheaper, and are allegedly good shooters.

I sure hope you are able to score...those SAA's, regardless of make are a kick in the pants!

Thanks. I guess I should list the S&W 500 as a means to finance this haha

If they'd make an accessory to make that cannon a carbine to hunt hogs or maybe even bigfoot...I might hang onto one. My shooting buds will break out the .454 or .500 when we have a newbie around but outside of that not so much.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    All the clones will get the job done for a lot less. It's just this...when we have a SAA day at our private range (we few handloaders in this area share info and techniques, love to compete and razz each other too) but when all the SAA's are out on the table and we're commenting on their qualities, it's the Colt that gets most admiration, not on looks so much as it does because the smith made it feel like it was made with ball bearings and the trigger being so crisp and clean...it's mostly about the mechanical feel.
    However long the wait, I'd wait, and don't get into a rush...let your smith trick it out.
    Same here. People are always willing to say that their foreign gun does the same thing, but cheaper; I can guarantee they would rather have the real deal. That's why I just Pony up the cash for the real deal and wait my turn in line. I've ordered 5 SAA from Colt in the last 10 years and all have been worth it. I have a pair of sequential numbers I keep for myself and the others were gifts to family for major achievements.

OP-Bite the bullet, order your Colt, and sit back and wait...or go get one off of gunbroker. I'd save up a little more and order one with ivory grips.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    If they'd make an accessory to make that cannon a carbine to hunt hogs or maybe even bigfoot...I might hang onto one. My shooting buds will break out the .454 or .500 when we have a newbie around but outside of that not so much.
    Yep.. Got one of both. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. lol

And Lumpkin, I think I will. Just need to call a few more dealers to get someone to say yes, in addition to laughing at me haha

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Lumpkin View Post
    Same here. People are always willing to say that their foreign gun does the same thing, but cheaper; I can guarantee they would rather have the real deal. That's why I just Pony up the cash for the real deal and wait my turn in line. I've ordered 5 SAA from Colt in the last 10 years and all have been worth it. I have a pair of sequential numbers I keep for myself and the others were gifts to family for major achievements.

OP-Bite the bullet, order your Colt, and sit back and wait...or go get one off of gunbroker. I'd save up a little more and order one with ivory grips.
    Does colt actually build the saa or do they just contract it out? I know the new colt pockets are being contracted out and used to their black powder stuff was as well. Kind of hard to be the *real deal* when the only deal was who got to slap the colt name on it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    I wonder why I keep getting laughed off by dealers. Guess I'll have to look a little further out.
    Colt filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection on June 15, 2015. They are still trying to figure out what to do as the the dust hasn't settled yet. Except for some government contracts they aren't really making much of anything and they don't really know what they have for parts yet either.

Boolit Master
    My brother has four new Colt SAs, still in the box and one made in the 1920s. The pre war SA is a 44-40 Frontier Six Shooter and is the only model so marked. I bought it for him in the mid '60s for 90 bucks. I also bought a 32-20 from the same man for $90. I still have it but I converted it to 44 SPL about thirty years ago.Two years ago my brother wanted to sell his but he never did and they all went back in the safe. I don't know what he will do with them, he just turned 89. I only have one but have owned others. In the 1960s the price of the Colt SAs were very low. You could buy a new one for $125. Cowboy action shooting drove the price way up. If my memory serves, the commemorative done up in royal blue was only $150. Who knows what Colt SAs will be in the future. I regret the ones I sold and I also regret the fact that I didn't keep at least one of the Lugers that passed thru my hands.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yenningComity View Post
    Does colt actually build the saa or do they just contract it out? I know the new colt pockets are being contracted out and used to their black powder stuff was as well. Kind of hard to be the *real deal* when the only deal was who got to slap the colt name on it.
    They are built in the custom shop.