Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Forming 458WM from 300WM

Boolit Master

Forming 458WM from 300WM

Not that 458WM brass is hard to come by or overly expensive but has anyone on this board done this or currently doing this?

I am new to blowing out brass but read and researched a lot before dipping my toes into this new pool. So far I have formed 10 brass cases successfully doing the following: 1) Size and deprime using a Hornady 458WM FL die. 2) Cleaned using SS pins wet tumble with Dawn and LemiShine. 3) Annealed case neck. 4) Primed using LPP and loaded with 12gn RedDot, wad of TP, cornmeal to case neck and plugged with paraffin wax. 5) Fired in Ruger M77. 5) Trimmed to 2.50" & deburred and chamfered. 6) Sized & deprimed. 7) Annealed. 8) Cleaned with SS wet tumble.

What say the folks with experience, what am I missing or doing wrong?
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Nope sounds like you got it going I don't use the wax just a small wad of TP.

Oh cream of wheat smells better when blowing out case
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-21-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    I've made 300 Win Mag into 458 Win Mag but I annealed and expanded in various dies I already had. I've blown out other cases with essentially the same steps. Good job.

I've done a bunch with a home turned long tapered expander fitted to an RCBS expander die. Imperial sizing wax one Q-tip swirled inside of case mouth, one stroke, no annealing. About half of what I try split on the expander but they're all range pickups used for plinkin' and dinkin' loads so I don't care. Got about 300 usable cases in not long, there are lots of magnum shooters that plink at the local gravel pits. I've used just about any belted mag, even 7mmRM with the same rate of attrition but the 7Mags are short when done. 338s, 375s, the various Wbys, whatever belted mag I find I give it a go on the expander. If it works, great, another case, if not, nothing lost...
    Last edited by PWS; 07-21-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: typos

Boolit Master
    Just use a long tapered expander. I have used Lee dies with the long tapered factory expander to make .416 Taylor without any issues.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll look into the tapered expander method as it has advantages over fire forming. I have a lathe so another mini-project will be in my future.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I make mine from 7 mm Rem Mag with an identical loading of Red dot, TP, maltomeal, Lars BAC to seal. The 7 mm Rem Mags are a little short. 7 mm Wby's come out about 0.004" over max @ 2.504" I neck my 7mm to 0.338" prior to firing.

I gained some length by fire forming as compared to using a progression of expanders to form 458's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Oh cream of wheat smells better when blowing out case
    I thought you were supposed to use NEW toilet paper.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy

I lube the hell out of the inside neck and push 7 RM, 300 WM and 338WM thru a 416 Taylor die. I have to trim the 300 more but all work. About 10% have sloped or cocked ends that need trimming anyway.