WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: licence to sell dies??

Boolit Man

licence to sell dies??

Do i need a ffl licence to sell bullet swaging dies??

Boolit Man
    No you do not

Moderator Emeritus

Nope.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned

Watcha got. I mean after you have 100 posts, 6 months, and a vendor sponsor

Boolit Master
    Just curious, would ITAR be involved if selling outside of the U.S. ?
    Bob

Boolit Man
    ok thanks guys

Boolit Man
    nothing yet lol except materials... :P and lots of planning.

Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    Just curious, would ITAR be involved if selling outside of the U.S. ?
    If ITAR is invoked it is without regard to where the selling takes place. The Fed doesn't care, regardless of what the "I" in ITAR stands for. For example, if you sell bullets, you have to pay the ITAR tax, no matter the scope of your sales area.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny1892 View Post
    nothing yet lol except materials... :P and lots of planning.
    Is your planning based around a reloading press design or a dedicated swag press. I have used reloading style and always become frustrated.

Frosted Boolits

Do you get frustrated making reloading style swage dies or using them to swage?
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Man
    it is going to be a dedicated rcbs rock chucker press.

Judging by your posts it looks like you're in the process of making your first set of dies. After you've accomplished this little feat and added up the time it takes, figure out how much money you'd make per hour to make dies and sell them. That's why there's only a hand full of individuals that have been successfull in the endeavor, just sayin.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Man
    thsi project is mainly just to see if i can do it with the possibility for making a little coin possibly on the side is all.

How is this coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    If ITAR is invoked it is without regard to where the selling takes place. The Fed doesn't care, regardless of what the "I" in ITAR stands for. For example, if you sell bullets, you have to pay the ITAR tax, no matter the scope of your sales area.
    Think he said dies which is touchy because if exported would require registration as I recall without re-reading the ITAR regulations. Not sure it's treated the same a selling bullets which you are correct requires registration. He might not have to register

ITAR is a pretty broad law that covers a lot more then people give it credit for. ITAR can cover things as simple as latex gloves, electronics, or any technical information. The reason being, latex gloves are needed for making biological weapons, electronics can be used in bombs and other weapons, and technical information is technical information that can inform people about just about anything. The original purpose of ITAR was to prevent the export of weapons and technologies that can be used to create weapons, to foreign countries that may not have our best interests in mind.

So does ITAR apply to swage dies? I would venture and say yes it does. ITAR has become a broad over reaching an burdensome bureaucracy in and of itself. It doesn't take much more then a google search to see where companies have run afoul with ITAR for some pretty benign things. The State department has even gone so far as to suggest that internet forums and youtube videos that cover information relating to firearms, ammunition, gunsmithing or anything of the such is covered under ITAR and should be either removed from the internet or should be controlled and regulated.

Now will you ever be charged under ITAR rules or regs for selling a few Swage Dies to foreign nationals or outside entities? If they never showed up at a crime scene or they never became subject of an investigation, likely not. If someone had a beef with you or a score to settle and they wanted to nail you with something, that could be some thing they use against you. In the end I would play it safe, produce for those within your country of residence, and be aware that even selling to foreign nationals who reside with in your country is breaking ITAR regs. Like I said, ITAR is like the ATF, or the EPA, it's a very broad overreaching and impossible to stay within 100 percent compliance all the time type law.

Valornor, You are correct as I understand the ITAR. It is very broad and could even cover a person with a Dillion 550 reloading because the language is so broad. I spent today in a conversation with my Senator about this flawed process. As the State Dept collects and determines what is a ITAR item, and whom should register. The UML should be reviewed by either those whom write the laws or simply not enforced except for export or import not domestic production. My 2 cents worth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Regulator. View Post
    Valornor, You are correct as I understand the ITAR. It is very broad and could even cover a person with a Dillion 550 reloading because the language is so broad. I spent today in a conversation with my Senator about this flawed process. As the State Dept collects and determines what is a ITAR item, and whom should register. The UML should be reviewed by either those whom write the laws or simply not enforced except for export or import not domestic production. My 2 cents worth.
    Yes, tell your representative that ITAR needs to be reformed. Many ITAR restrictions could be lifted without harm to national security and it would help U.S. businesses and our economy. ITAR is out of control and now is being used as a tool for gun control and political fights.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

What ?

In Remembrance

My 2 cents worth. If you are selling tools to make "instruments of war" (bullets) to foreign nationals, you might get put on some lists that you would want to stay off of. Especially these days.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER