Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 44 bgm .

Boolit Mold

44 bgm .

There were a few questions concerning the 44 BGM on Molemans 357 AR thread .
    Moleman an I spoke via PM an decided to give out more details .
    Im sure he will be along to give more details as well.
    this is up an running round on his Mauser .

I originally envisioned the round in a AK 47 . I also had a longer version that ill call the 444 BG . The same reamer will cut both chambers .
    A rimless 444 marin has been done before . this is a little different .

As far as comparing it to a 44 auto mag its a lot more. the closest comparison is a 444 Marlin that this round can duplicate or exceed depending on action strength or be down loaded for AR 15 use .

I and another member here ( Moleman ) have been working on a 44 cal wildcat based on
    cut 30-06 brass ( or similar ) for a few years .

Its case is 1.799" long making it legal for MI an other states that have the 1.800" long straight case rule . Loaded to 60,000= PSI it will exceed 444 marlin velocity's .
    it will fit in a AK or AR length mag as well as any bolt action running a .470" bolt face.

Loaded to lower AR 15 power levels it will out run a 44 mag by several hundred FPS an be on par with a 458 Socom or 450 Bushmaster for a fraction of the cost if you hand load .

Bullets from under 200 grain to over 400 grain can be used . the round has subsonic potential.

It can be loaded with 444 marlin dies an a few other off the shelf things .

Moleman has beautiful working Mauser chambered in it .

I an others ( Gunter an Moleman ) on Gunco originally designed it for use in a AK 47 that is a bit stronger than a AR . Since the MI an IN laws have came about the round has become more interesting to many as a deer hunting round . IMO its a great 200 yard an under deer round that delivers a lot of energy an pretty good trajectory.

We are looking for a good pointed cast bullet for this round in the 250 grain range or any range for that matter . Something for tipped for a auto loader .

Boolit Mold
    a few rough pictured of the early development stage from about 8 years ago .

Note the bulged neck area an the slight hour glass shape .
    This is from no inside reaming an no pre expansion .

That is the first loaded/live 44BGM round made.

A expanding mandrel an Forster Inside reamer make quick of the bulge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 161049.jpg   0151.JPG  

I used a 1891 mauser chambered in it last year for deer season. It meets the Michigan DNR regs for a straight walled cartridge for use in the limited firearm zone. The cases were formed from RP 30-06 that were cut, annealed, expanded to remove any taper, reamed and trimmed. The pressures were kept lower for the 123 year old action, 37Kpsi for a 265gr flextip at 1985 fps. The 16.5" barreled ar10 version that's in progress now should push the same bullet to around 2250 fps. I'd still like to figure out a good heavy cast bullet that will feed well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 444-cases2.jpg   IMG_0666.JPG   IMG_0702.JPG  

Boolit Mold
    I would think some of the cast bullet expert here would have some ideas. Maybe a custom mold ?

a pointed version that's better for feeding a auto loader would be nice.

The 16.5" barreled ar10 version that's in progress now should push the same bullet to around 2250 fps
    There is still room for improvement if a strong bolt action is used an loads over 60,000 PSI are used. IM not sure the gains are worth the wear an tear on the brass however .

I need to get one of those expander made up soon .

The thing that killing velocity on my ar10 version is the barrel length, but I don't want a 24" barreled upper in a tree stand even if it allows the same bullet to be pushed another 100fps.

Boolit Mold
    I don't think 100FPS at the ranges this round is intend for will make a huge difference .

265 grains of bullet is going to give what ever it hits a bad day regardless if its going 2000 or 2400 fps .

Sneak peek at the ar10 upper. Haven't decided on barrel threads dia and pitch or profile ahead of the carbine length gas port yet. The barrel is headspaced and cut for the gas block so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AR44BGM-length3.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Where do I get one of these??

Man that looks like a fun wildcat!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Where do I get one of these??
    Right now you have to make one . Not sure what the future will hold .

Boolit Buddy
    AK weapon system....SBR at 10 inch barrel with folding stock...What a night stand queen for the creaks in the middle of the night.

Boolit Mold
    AK weapon system....SBR at 10 inch barrel with folding stock...What a night stand queen for the creaks in the middle of the night.
    I originally intended the round for a AK with a opened up bolt . There a bit stronger than a AR 15 . There is a picture above of the round in a AK mag .

I do a considerable amount of deer hunting in a shot gun pistol zone with a AK pistol with a 12" barrel . ( don't laugh its sub MOA ) I don't know if I want a pistol in this round due to the recoil . shame the brace got reclassified . Ill likely build one possibly on a AR 15 plat form an down load for it . If it works out then SBR an suppress it later.
    I can hunt with a SBR an a suppressor in my state. The round gives pretty good speed with shorter barrels so a suppressed SBR would be pretty compact an light .

A SBR AK is plenty doable . To be honest it might be a bit over kill for in home use in both recoil an on your hearing .

Think of it as 44 mag x2 . it will almsot double the velocity of some 44 mag loads at higher pressures. A AK with a adjustable gas block would give a lot of options for this round however .

At moderate pressures is would be classified as a big game round on Hornady's HITS scale . So were talking elk an moose if the bullet selection is correct . Pushed hard in a bolt action or other really strong action and it gets really close to a dangerous game round . The brass should be safe to around 65,000 PSI

Even at lower pressures ( AR 15 safe ) it scores high on the medium game chart.

With a good cast bullet an even lower pressures it would be like a 44 mag an can be down loaded down to subsonic levels . Looking for a good cast lead bullet for that .