Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

I bought one of these Lee Perfect Powder Measures a year or so ago but delayed using it over concerns of accuracy. I weigh every charge on my Redding version 1 scale, a scale I really like. I don't trust digitals. Watching Youtube video reviews the last couple of days I decided to set it up. Wow! Have I been missing out. The powder throw dropped right into my process and really sped things up. I'm throwing 5.2gr of BE-86 for 125gr 9mm. I throw into the scale pan, drop the pan on the scale to verify the charge and if it lands inside of .1gr I go with it. When I was weighing every charge without the throw I was adjusting to +- zero. I'm loosening up my precision just a fuzz to get quite a bit more production for my 9mm needs. I'm using the Lee Classic turret press and the caliber specific aluminum Satern funnel.
    I just wanted to post and say I am excited to use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and agree with the positive comments I watched and read on Youtube.

Attachment 172272 Attachment 172273 Attachment 172274

I've also got one--had it for about 10 years. Works great.

Boolit Master
    I use one to drop charge light and trickle to final weight for single stage rifle charging . A couple years ago I found a used little dandy to throw small charges after hand weighing for handguns it was like a dream . It takes a long time to charge 50-100 cases scooped and weighing by hand . Be safe

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with the powder measure till you get to Acc #5 or H110 or other fine powder. Then it leaks. I cut a cool whip lid to fit around the base to catch the leaking powder and keep going. Kinda hard to use extruded powders with.

Boolit Master
    Used a friends one works well but I still use my Lyman but if it ever wears out I'd get the Lee to replace it.

Boolit Grand Master

My first powder measure was a Lee PPM. I thought I'd get a more "sophisticated" tool and tried a couple "better" measures. I now have a C-H 502 and it is a good measure with most powders, but not any more accurate than my newer Lee PPM. Some very fine powders leak (both measures), and some "log" powders are crunchy (both measures). The only complaint I've ever had was with Lee's stand, it will flex, so I made up a brace out of aluminum to stop the flexing of the stand. No big deal...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    The only complaint I've ever had was with Lee's stand, it will flex, so I made up a brace out of aluminum to stop the flexing of the stand. No big deal...
    Can you post a pic? This is my only problem. Maybe you found a good solution?

My problem is not the actual stand. It's that it only connects on a little screw at the bottom, and this part flexes. I put a screw thru the middle of the thrower... with the head of the screw barely clearing the moving parts. And it still has some flex that is annoying.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Nothing wrong with the powder measure till you get to Acc #5 or H110 or other fine powder. Then it leaks. I cut a cool whip lid to fit around the base to catch the leaking powder and keep going. Kinda hard to use extruded powders with.
    I pulled my Lee measure apart and lapped the drum into its seat with some fine lapping paste in a few minutes . , no more leaks with red dot or other flake powders . Lubricated with graphite powder works a lot smoother as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    I pulled my Lee measure apart and lapped the drum into its seat with some fine lapping paste in a few minutes . , no more leaks with red dot or other flake powders . Lubricated with graphite powder works a lot smoother as well.
    Any specific lapping compound or would you mind recommending one?

Boolit Master
    I lapped mine as well just using a fast cutting polishing compound and leakage with the finer powders is very minimal. I also washed it clean at first and then sprayed the inside down with graphite lube and put in a baffle I made form light aluminum using Uncle Mikes templates I downloaded. The only measure I have that works better, and this is only with stick powders, is my good old Lyman 55.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    I bought one of these Lee Perfect Powder Measures a year or so ago but delayed using it over concerns of accuracy. I weigh every charge on my Redding version 1 scale, a scale I really like. I don't trust digitals.

Attachment 172272
    The old Redding No 1 is an excellent scale - better than most beam scales produced today. Do you use it dry or oil dampened?

I have a Lee PPM and very pleased with the accuracy - I also have an Ohaus Du-o measure but find it's no more accurate.

Yes, the base is a little flimsy and the hopper could be a little larger if using it for larger capacity rifle cases.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    The old Redding No 1 is an excellent scale - better than most beam scales produced today. Do you use it dry or oil dampened?

I have a Lee PPM and very pleased with the accuracy - I also have an Ohaus Du-o measure but find it's no more accurate.

Yes, the base is a little flimsy and the hopper could be a little larger if using it for larger capacity rifle cases.
    Oil dampened. I love that feature. I actually recently bought a 2nd New Old Stock Redding #1 to put up. The key is to find one someone hasn't moved the compensator nuts. Too many people mistake them as the means of zeroing the scale.
    Last edited by 6622729; 07-26-2016 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry it took so long, my good camera died...

I used a piece of 2" aluminum angle cut to the same width as the PPM stand. I drilled holes for mounting to stand an a hole, about 1/2" dia., to accept the spout and add a bit of strength. I epoxied the angle to the mount of the PPM and screwed the assy. to the stand. Stiffened it up quite a bit...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PPM brace 2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	173117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PPM brace.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	173116
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Man
    I received one of these as a gift when I first started reloading. They guy who gave it to me took mercy on me when he saw I was hand dipping and weighing charges for my 45 ACP. It works surprisingly well for something that costs around $20. I now only check once every tenth throw.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one, and it works very well. No leaking. Sometimes when using BLC2 it gets tougher to turn the lever, but it always throws the right charge within .05 grains I would say. That's a perfect measure for me. When I'm load developing, I use my balance beam scale to exact every load (I set the powder measure to throw a but under weight and trickle up) but when I'm doing quantity reloading for a known load, I only measure the first 5 and ever 10 to 15th. Even though it's never off on those 10th or 15th loads.

Only slight gripe is that the lid of the powder measure comes off really easy. So I use a very loose rubber band to keep it in place.

I'm happy with mine and have no need to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Oil dampened. I love that feature.
    Me, too. Use the same scale. Excellent product.

Boolit Master

I use masking tape to hold the lid on.Once I get the amount that I want I just load and have had no problems.It stays where I put it.I use to check it about every twenty charges or so but it never change so I don't eve brother with that any more but I do check after I am through to make sure it stayed set so far it has.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by plus1hdcp View Post
    Any specific lapping compound or would you mind recommending one?
    I used a water based engine valve lapping paste , the tube I have has two compartments one fine and one coarse , I used the fine grit .
    I then dumped a whole lot of graphite powder through it to lubricate it . Works very nicely .

Boolit Bub
    My Lee PPM drops accurately enough for any pistol ammo I load, even target stuff. An interesting exercise is to throw and measure 10 charges, find the maximum delta, and figure out the change in velocity and point of impact due to that delta.

I bet you'll find it's too small to matter on anything except precision rifle rounds.

Boolit Master
    I solved the loose hopper lid by putting some tape on the inside edge of the lid. snugs it up well. On both of mine.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.