Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading small charges with solvent instead of filler

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I know it will take bluing off, I just wonder what it will do to brass over a period of time. I also know it will melt most plastics.
    Acetone is a great degreaser. It does not remove bluing.

Boolit Master
    I have definitely found tipping the gun first to make a big difference with some rounds, such as the Nagant revolver with 3 grains of red dot. I'm not sure I buy the "position insensitive" claim on that powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I know it will take bluing off, I just wonder what it will do to brass over a period of time. I also know it will melt most plastics.
    Unless you have a real *** bluing job (virtually surface painted on), acetone will NOT remove it!!!!! No way....no how. And it will NOT bother brass. Or steel. Or nickel plating. Or any other metals for that matter.

It WILL soften and dissolve most paints and plastics.

It is a great hydrocarbon solvent used in everything from laquer thinner to fingernail polish remover to many paint products. I go thru gallons of the stuff in my shops - - - refinishing antiques.

Boolit Mold
    I posted this over at 300BlkTalk also.

This idea intrigued me since I have been working on improving my 150 gr subsonic load for my 8" barrel AR15 300 Blackout SBR.

I will keep this short, and give the high lights of my experiments this weekend.

After quite a bit of trial and error the best way I came up with to "glue" the powder in the bottom of the case was to use a Q-tip to swab a small amount of high purity acetone around the bottom third of the empty case, quickly drop the powder, then put a small drop of the same acetone onto the top of the powder charge and let it sit open for about 3 hours. I loaded 5 with the acetone and 5 without.

I have a known good recipe for 150 gr Hornady fmj @ ~1000 fps, 8.5 gr LiLgun, col = 2.050, cci400, moderate crimp.

The normal recipe gives me ~980 fps but the spread is generally higher than I would like, usually around 80 fps, that is what I am working on improving.

So the normal loads averaged 953 fps and spread of 85, ~1 in group at 50 yds, perfect function.

The acetone loads averaged 1086 fps, and spread of 32, ~1.5 in group at 50 yds, 4 of the 5 either failed to feed or eject properly, it acted as if it was under gassed.

I did not see any un-burnt powder of excessive fowling, with the acetone rounds, and no signs of excess pressure.

As we know there are benefits to having the powder held in the bottom of the case, hence the increased velocity and improved spread, but it appears the acetone changed the gas producing qualities of the powder.

Interesting experiment but I don't think it is really a viable option, at least not for what I am doing. Maybe other powders would work better, or for a bolt gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Acetone is a great degreaser. It does not remove bluing.
    I guess I have to bite my tongue, I went out and tried it on the lug of a TC barrel, you've made a believer out of me, I don't remember where I got that. Some times I jump in with both feet and land on my head.