RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to stain brass cases

Boolit Master
    I started using red sharpies to draw a fat red ring around the case body. Seems to work better for me than coloring the base but it has to done over after tumbling.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I started using red sharpies to draw a fat red ring around the case body. Seems to work better for me than coloring the base but it has to done over after tumbling.
    I also use a red sharpie ...I use it for converted 9x18 from 9mmNato, on the case head.

On a similar thought, one range I shoot at, has many Oak trees. In the spring, when picking up 223/556 cases in the wet oak leaf covered grass...the cases can be quite Black and it's difficult to polish that Black tarnish/oxidation off without using aggressive additives to the media (but a hot Citric acid works). I've often thought of making a Tea out of Oak Leaves (for the tannic acid I suppose?), to apply a black tarnish to brass cases.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Here is a link to an old thread on CB about this topic. I don't know if it offers any advantages or not. Just remembered having seen it before.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ng-brass-cases

Boolit Buddy
    Wet tumble them with stainless pins and too much lemshine, they will turn pink. Don't ask me how I know.

Boolit Grand Master

Miss a couple steel cases when citric acid tumbling, and they will revert to a brown tarnish as soon as they dry.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Leave some in a secured colander in full sun for a year. Turn over at 6months. No kidding. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I've found that leaving brass in a citric acid solution at close to boiling turns it pink. I'm not sure if the brass was damaged by this process, but it's not a very masculine color and I doubt many would be inclined to pick it up if you are trying to mark your brass. I thought it was kinda funny and decided it looked good on the .223 brass I was working with.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!