RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Smokers?

Boolit Master

No,but I'm still looking for that one pipe.Gotta be a bent stem.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Not that, but I do have found my 4 favorite tobacco's at P&C.

They are

Trout Stream
    Bass Pond
    Cavendish in the Woods
    Black Vannilla

Three years ago I posted I gave up Cigs. and Really missed my pipe. Was informed 6 months I have failing kidney's, not missing my pipe any longer, time grows short!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I quit smoking pipes and cigars about twenty six years ago.
    I still have a very nice collection of pipes.
    If I ever get terminal cancer, I will smoke them again.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I used to smoke a pipe for a number of years. Gave it up probably 35 years ago. I also smoked cigarettes and cigars but can't stand the smell of either now. But, even though I rarely see anyone smoking a pipe anymore - if I smell one I still get the "urge". I had several briars but have to admit I was pretty "low key". I actually preferred to smoke the old "Missouri Meerschaums" - the corn cob pipes that had the replaceable filter in the stem - you could buy them in just about any store that sold pipe tobacco - used to come on a display board of about a dozen or so and if I remember correctly, wee less that $2.00. I had several of them that I would rotate. Nothing fancy for tobacco either . . . Kentucky Club, Cherry Blend or Borkum Riff.

You've got a nice collection! By the way . . . I started with the Missouri Meerschaums when I was 16 . . . lot's of things I regret as I get older and smoking is one of them - glad I quit.

Yes. I too am glad this thread came back up. One of my habits, and because of this thread I met 2 forum members, great guys.

Boolit Master
    My great-grandma smoked her cob pipe till her last days at 97 years... I don't smoke but take nasal snuff.

I have a fair collection of brior, my best nes are the Royal Danish I bought back in the 60's. Today some of my favs are the Misssouri Meerschaums, as already said, no break in, very inexpensive, cool & dry smoke, whats not to like.

Boolit Buddy

Wow, some very nice collections here. I have about forty pipes with a definite bias to Savinelli. I have only one corncob. It's OK, but far from my favorite. I lean to straight or slight bends. As to tobacco I like 1Q, Midnight Smoke, Frog Morton, yeah, even Prince Albert.

Boolit Master

1Q is good, some of the Captain Black offerings are good as well. I like Virginias, some English and some Aromatics. Some of the tinned pressed Virginias are my favorites. LL-7 from Lane Limited (Tucker GA) is good. Lane provides Captain Black. I also like the Old Shenandoah from Captain Black as well. There are some good blends coming in tins from Captain Black, it's not just the old gold, white, and blue from the drugstore.

Just for Him has the "Middle Earth" blends that are really good too. I have been puffing on "Shortcut to Mushrooms" for a few years now and it is good.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

The aluminum stemmed pipe with replaceable bowls in post 37, is the most expensive pipe I could afford during my younger years. It and Captian Black was as safistacated as I ever got. The replaceable bowls and a stem cleaners took care of "letting it rest".
    My wife loved the aroma and allowed me to smoke it indoors. Gave it all up when she first got pregnant and haven't smoked one since.
    I gave up smoking Marlboro gold when the price of a carton passed $10.
    Only vices I have left are guns and love making, but at 74 I have to be satisfied with gun smoke and not even that very often.

Ahhhh Yes the mention of Cherry Blend and Borkim Riff brought back very fond memories.
    Last edited by mold maker; 07-20-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I always bought my pipe tobacco from the Tinder Box pipe store.
    I have a Peterson pipe and a Danish made pipe that were my two favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    I always bought my pipe tobacco from the Tinder Box pipe store.
    I have a Peterson pipe and a Danish made pipe that were my two favorites.
    Excellent tobacco store, we still have one in South Bend, In.

Boolit Bub
    I also enjoy the slow blue smoke of a good pipeful tobacco. But I really don't know many of the tobaccos you mentioned it seems if they are not available here in good ole germany.
    To keep on going this thread: I mostly prefer smoking english mixtures an flakes, even if my wife banns me far away from her when I smoke Latakia
    But I also love to smoke a good pure Virgina or Virgina/Perique Flake.

Wish you all a nice evening,
    Timo

Boolit Master

Samuel Gawith- Full Virginia Flake is good, Orlik Golden Slice, Capstan Original Flake, Dunhill Flake, Mississippi Mud

Moderator Emeritus

I'll never forget the times I made it to Macon, Ga. and the mall there - usually Christmas shopping was the excuse to go. They had a "Tobacco Shoppe" there in the mall. WONDERFUL cigars, and I'd occasionally order some of their stuff via mail, mostly their wonderful tobacco blends. That's where I discovered latakia. Pure, it's awfully strong stuff! I don't see how folks smoke it pure! But blended as a "spice" with other tobaccos, it was truly great.

And I got an Uppman cigar there, medium length and diameter, and lit it up as I got in my truck in the parking lot, and smoked it all the way home until I got to my exit off the interstate a few minutes from the house. That was over 2 hours of one of the finest and most enjoyable and relaxing smokes I'll ever have in this life. I wish I could kick the cigs, but I'd love to be able to have a pipe or a really good cigar now and then. Great experience. And very different from cigarettes! VERY different!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    I'll never forget the times I made it to Macon, Ga. and the mall there - usually Christmas shopping was the excuse to go. They had a "Tobacco Shoppe" there in the mall. WONDERFUL cigars, and I'd occasionally order some of their stuff via mail, mostly their wonderful tobacco blends. That's where I discovered latakia. Pure, it's awfully strong stuff! I don't see how folks smoke it pure! But blended as a "spice" with other tobaccos, it was truly great.

And I got an Uppman cigar there, medium length and diameter, and lit it up as I got in my truck in the parking lot, and smoked it all the way home until I got to my exit off the interstate a few minutes from the house. That was over 2 hours of one of the finest and most enjoyable and relaxing smokes I'll ever have in this life. I wish I could kick the cigs, but I'd love to be able to have a pipe or a really good cigar now and then. Great experience. And very different from cigarettes! VERY different!

Why not kick the cigarettes and go to the pipe? No inhaling and still enjoy the time spent puffing. I smoked cigarettes from 10 YO till about 30 YO. I quit a time or 2 in that time frame. It was very hard. It is the one addiction that gets a free pass in society (not so much nowadays though) so it makes it hard to quit. I know pipe smoking is healthier (no inhaling, less frequency) than cigs, but probably not the best thing for you. There is something about burning tobacco that I enjoy and I can't put my finger on it. I always have.

I only have one pipe, a bent stem that I don't know much about. I really don't know anything about pipes in general, but I do enjoy it. Looking mostly for a good or several good tobaccos. Shooter, would you be willing to part with a sample of Frog Morton? Be glad to pay for a bit to try. They won't ship to WA address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Grand Master

Before it closed I used to stand outside "The Tobacco Shop" in the mall and just enjoy the aroma that wafted out the entry. It closed when they banned smoking inside the whole mall. Problem now is the stench and cig butts outside the entries.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Bub
    The Samuel Gawith stuff we can even buy here in germany.
    I prefer the Best Brwon Flake over the Full Virgina Flake because of its sweetness.

Boolit Master
    Do you guys have tobacco ropes? Here in Brazil, in the country, it's pretty common still, but you can find in big cities too. It's sold by weight and the seller cuts a piece of the rope. The older guys used a pocket knife to trim small bits and made straw cigarettes no filter of course and they put that into their cob pipes. The smell is terrible from some types while some are acceptable. But none is ever close to the pipe tobacco aroma.