Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart goes P.C.

In Remembrance
    Wallmart going pc, say it ain't so. The very first store with the aisles labeled in spanish that I ever noticed was a wallmart, in the Seattle area no less. This was a couple of years before the one on the border at Laredo Tx was labeled in spanish, go figure.
    How many years was they bragging in the news about the wallmart in iirc Dearborn Mi, being redesigned to look like a middle eastern market when you walked in. Gots to give the sheetheads a homey feeling you know.
    So Ammo at wallmart, why would anyone here care??

Boolit Grand Master

I don't buy groceries at a gun store, I don't buy guns or shooting supplies at Wal-Mart. It's hard to beat WM for groceries, household supplies and even socks and underwear. My WM even has a pretty decent produce section which seems to be the exception to the rule. I don't agree with large corporations bowing to the PC gods but it's not my call to make. They'll be facing the consequences, not me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Wally World would go broke if they depended on my funds,I buy a little from them but not much.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

Many things actually cost more at wall Mart now. But dog treats made in the US are still cheaper.
    Carol shops all the stores and knows where to buy what.
    I try to support my LGS but $21 and change for 100 CCI .22's is not going to happen, I shoot my .44 for a dime a shot. This store deals mostly in carry guns and will not go into reloading stuff at all. Prices are so bad I could buy 2 somewhere else.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Many things actually cost more at wall Mart now. But dog treats made in the US are still cheaper.
    Carol shops all the stores and knows where to buy what.
    I try to support my LGS but $21 and change for 100 CCI .22's is not going to happen, I shoot my .44 for a dime a shot. This store deals mostly in carry guns and will not go into reloading stuff at all. Prices are so bad I could buy 2 somewhere else.
    Similar results here, prices never adjusted back down to "pre-panic" levels in LGS. markup is typically msrp + 100 for the convienence of them stocking it and no deals to be made. List price is list price. Still, they happily transfer my FFL needs and are pleasant to deal with so I buy things on occasion that aren't ridiculously out of line. 10ring in particular has a good selection of hornady and lee parts in stock that make waiting a week on the mailman a bear. I've blown more money on dumber things that I try to support them when i can justify it in my head. 50% markup just aint going to happen...I know the cost of a lb of hp-38 or bullseye now well enough to feel the reach around.

Walmart *used* to be the cheapest option until they got a majority. Then the shelf selections started slimming down and prices creeping up. If you comparison shop you will find typically they aren't the cheapest on a lot of items, but the staples (milk, sugar, flour, eggs) *are* cheaper than the alternatives which if you aren't paying attention can make it seem like you get a great deal. Heck we have 3 "super walmart" within driving distance and only one of them carries the size diapers we need in a case. All the others expect you to come in 2-3 times a week and grab the smallest pack. All about getting return shoppers and impulse items to increase the bottom line.

I assume if we switched to a fair tax and stopped subsidizing their employee's they would be in for a rude awakening.

Moderator Emeritus

The market and marketing of guns, ammo & accessories has changed drastically, and it favors the big box stores very much now. It's all about "buying power" now, and the big box stores have the advantages. Where's this leading? The big box stores will be carrying what they can move rapidly, and the specialty market will dwindle down to nothing. If you like your guns set up just the way you want them to be, and that performs optimally for YOU as an individual, they I have a sense that you'd better get them customized to your liking ASAP, because much of the nice things we like to add to or add onto our guns will likely disappear over time because of the small size of the specialty markets. THAT is what the big box stores eventually will do for us. There'll be one standard, and it'll be "also ran" quality, and we'll have to make-do with what we can get, and what we want won't matter to the inurred marketing execs that run the big box stores.

I like dealing with the smaller shops. They know SO much more than the idjits in the big box stores that are almost always there just to get a check at the end of the week. They're competent to advise you, give you answers on their experience with various guns, etc., etc., etc. If we lose them, it'll affect our PRACTICAL ability to exercise our rights under the 2nd Amendment for an awful, and awfully long time, I think. Keep supporting your LGS's. It matters. Maybe more than we even realize.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    The market and marketing of guns, ammo & accessories has changed drastically, and it favors the big box stores very much now. It's all about "buying power" now, and the big box stores have the advantages. Where's this leading? The big box stores will be carrying what they can move rapidly, and the specialty market will dwindle down to nothing. If you like your guns set up just the way you want them to be, and that performs optimally for YOU as an individual, they I have a sense that you'd better get them customized to your liking ASAP, because much of the nice things we like to add to or add onto our guns will likely disappear over time because of the small size of the specialty markets. THAT is what the big box stores eventually will do for us. There'll be one standard, and it'll be "also ran" quality, and we'll have to make-do with what we can get, and what we want won't matter to the inurred marketing execs that run the big box stores.

I like dealing with the smaller shops. They know SO much more than the idjits in the big box stores that are almost always there just to get a check at the end of the week. They're competent to advise you, give you answers on their experience with various guns, etc., etc., etc. If we lose them, it'll affect our PRACTICAL ability to exercise our rights under the 2nd Amendment for an awful, and awfully long time, I think. Keep supporting your LGS's. It matters. Maybe more than we even realize.
    LGS are hit or miss here. Some are run by a non-existant owner and with high school level assistance. Some are run by veterans with a wealth of knowledge. Some just know it is "Texas gun capital of the world" and think they can get by ripping off the occasional consumer. I understand the buying power of larger companies and the extra expense of having a brick and mortar store. Had my favorite place "Tactical Firearms" been more concerned with helping me find what I wanted not pushing a 2k+ AR at me they would probably be in business still. The "sales staff" and "gun range staff" even when in the same building are a night and day difference.

Do you order from powdervalley? They aren't exactly doing small business either anymore. Graffs and Wideners are now owned by different people as well if I recall. Did the prices reflect in the changes? Has the customer service changed? I'll continue to support them as I am able but like i said, I can smell a ripoff now and don't give in. If I ask a question and get a decent answer I generally walk out with *something* to support them. When they start denigrating something I know better about and instead want to push the latest whizz bang with a higher profit margin I walk out.

Boolit Grand Master

Many items at Walmart in the sporting goods and auto sections are made especially for Walmart. Usually of lesser quality or in some other area. A few years ago I needed a new electric trolling for my boat. Walmart had what I wanted but with a 1 year warranty. Bought it at Cabela's with a 2 year warranty for close to the same price. Just had to drive farther to get it at Cabela's.
    The Walmart cans of brake cleaner and such may seem cheap by looking at the shelf price but they contain way less product than a name brand which is usually cheaper by the ounce. The effectiveness of the product is usually not as good for the Wally brand either.

Banned

I have bought guns from Dick's and after selecting one, They took it away and carried it to the check out. They carried it outside the store to give to me. What did they think, that I had a pocket of loads for the gun? I hate the "NO TRUST JUNK today."
    Old days are gone. I lived in gun stores and fishing shops. But I went into a store in Winchester VA for some bore brushes and they were the worst I seen. Old Dominion was the place. They looked at me like a criminal with hands on guns. I just wanted brushes.
    I will NEVER go back in that store. I was an old man with my United Airlines uniform on.
    We had Sparks in Martinsburg until they retired. Great store. Had powder, primers, etc. I would order a gun on Fri and get a call on Sat, gun is in. 10 minutes and out the door. They gave me good prices. The loss of the store is still felt. They would get me a pound of any powder.
    You know trust is important too. to make friends in many stores does not happen today.
    I got my .500 JRH direct from MR sent to my shop. Young guy made my paper work. I said I made a mold and have some ready, want to shoot it? He asked his boss so we went into the underground range and shot. He loved it. Yet it does not equal what I had when young. Hart Arms in Cleveland. Many, many shops I hung out in to learn a lot and get gunsmith tips and where to get guns blued cheap. polish a gun and get it blued from Cleveland black Oxide for $16.
    Avon Hardware sold me guns on credit with no interest. .300 Weatherby for $300. I was a kid with a paper route. Browning Superposed. You don't know today.
    Biggest pain I have is I know my friends are long gone. But to make new today does not happen unless you SPEND. Worst thing in big box stores is they do not know you.
    I continue to live the old ways. Need something fixed and a bottle is enough. Maybe nothing at all. I refuse to cheat anyone. I just don't need stinking money. I want you first.

I really hate to going to Walmart! I drive out of my way and shop anywhere except Walmart! When that CEO of Sam's club came out and made some racist statements I gave up totally. I know that I sometimes pay more but it is a last resort for me!

Boolit Master

China-Mart has gone downhill ever since old Sam died.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I step into a WM **maybe** twice a year if I absolutely cannot find something I HAVE to get like right now. After Pillow-Tex was eventually forced into bankruptcy by them I was done. Aldi's has MUCH lower prices, (no Aldi's? Look around, I'll bet you find something similar in your area) and has been said, the only reason they all haven't been turned into Basically a big Target store is the bottom line, and they are caving by inches and feet.

A while ago I ran across a Western Auto sale flyer from 1978. Every single price on every single item was within a few cents of what it is today.

The difference?

EVERY single item was made in America and now they're almost ALL MADE OVERSEAS.

WE did that.

It is what it is. Wal-Mart caves, you either put the monetary screws to 'em and hope there are enough of us, or you don't. WE put it to Dick's and CTD in recent memory,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

I don't like many things. Bought a big GE fridge and it failed FAST, froze up and no help. I replaced it with a Samsung that works but MADE IN MEXICO. Maytag has been nothing but scrap. Replaced with LG but no idea where made. I bought a new Kenmore stove and micro wave. No idea where made but they work.

Boolit Master

I've not been in a Wal-Mart in over 10 years now,so I have no idea what they carry or don't carry???
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned
    i remember back in the early 1990's, wally mart made AMERICAN products for AMERICANS. now its more c**p from china. i haven't been in a wally mart since around 2000. it don't cost me anything, i refuse to shop there. i give my money to local mom and pop stores. wally world has closed down hills, k-mart, gee bee(mom and pop k-mart that sold apples to guns to zenith's, the first wally mart) and value city. gun shops have been closed down in my area since 2011, we have basically a gander mountain( we go there just to laugh at prices) and dunham's. there are a few small gun stores, but to buy a gun, we have to go 45+/- minutes there and 45+/- back.

i don't even care if wally mart sells 22 lr at $5 for 500 rounds, i would NOT go.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i remember back in the early 1990's, wally mart made AMERICAN products for AMERICANS. now its more c**p from china. i haven't been in a wally mart since around 2000. it don't cost me anything, i refuse to shop there. i give my money to local mom and pop stores. wally world has closed down hills, k-mart, gee bee(mom and pop k-mart that sold apples to guns to zenith's, the first wally mart) and value city. gun shops have been closed down in my area since 2011, we have basically a gander mountain( we go there just to laugh at prices) and dunham's. there are a few small gun stores, but to buy a gun, we have to go 45+/- minutes there and 45+/- back.

i don't even care if wally mart sells 22 lr at $5 for 500 rounds, i would NOT go.
    You might wish to check the country of origin of the products you buy from where you shop. Even turn your PC over to see where it was made!

Not much is actually "made" here.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

WalMart is big one store that allowes my wife & I to live as we do.

To all of you who do not shop at walMart, glad to hear you do not feel the need to save money!

Boolit Master
    I quit shopping at walfart when I found out they give money to Planned Parenthood. I don't want my money going to kill babies.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    You might wish to check the country of origin of the products you buy from where you shop. Even turn your PC over to see where it was made!

Not much is actually "made" here.
    it doesn't matter where it was made anymore. i am disabled(stroke) who gets his check from the gubbermint. cheap prices are not what wally mart does, matter of fact, its cheaper to buy from other stores.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    it doesn't matter where it was made anymore. i am disabled(stroke) who gets his check from the gubbermint. cheap prices are not what wally mart does, matter of fact, its cheaper to buy from other stores.
    Point that statement out with facts!

Lets not cherry pick either!

So where else you can buy a new auto battery for $8.99. Opps, $48.99. Course it only has a 1 year warrenty, but hey, you pay another $50 bucks for the extra 4 years which you likely won't need anyway.
    A 5 quart of synthetic oil for $12.00
    A fram oil filter for less than $9.00.
    A 50 inch TV for less than $300.00.
    A Laptop for less than $300.00.
    A gal. of 2% milk for less than $2.00.
    Magazines for 10% off list price.

I can go on and on!

Sorry to hear you are disabled, but then so am I. I live on a VA pension. I also get my check from the Government as well as my total health care!
    Last edited by jcwit; 07-09-2016 at 06:43 PM.