RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Loose Checks. Thicker material or add paper? Need .015

Boolit Buddy

Loose Checks. Thicker material or add paper? Need .015

My Freechex III came in. I found rolls of .014 flashing. Made a bunch but they were tight on the Lee 155gr but loose on a Lyman 311413. The 311413 has a long tapered shank. Some of the checks fit tight but most were loose.

I don't know where to find .015 material locally. So I placed a post it note on top of the strips of .014 and punched out a dozen. They fit snug on the 311413 and a 311291. The paper bring them to .01597 thick.

Sizing to .310 too.

Anyone know where to get .015 material?

In Remembrance
    Charlies new FCIII's will work up to .019. Get you some Amerimax .0167. Then you can cap any bullet mold and size up to .318 on the .303. I think Yonky has .015. http://www.coilandfoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post
    My Freechex III came in. I found rolls of .014 flashing. Made a bunch but they were tight on the Lee 155gr but loose on a Lyman 311413. The 311413 has a long tapered shank. Some of the checks fit tight but most were loose.

I don't know where to find .015 material locally. So I placed a post it note on top of the strips of .014 and punched out a dozen. They fit snug on the 311413 and a 311291. The paper bring them to .01597 thick.

Sizing to .310 too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush7 View Post
    Charlies new FCIII's will work up to .019. Get you some Amerimax .0167. Then you can cap any bullet mold and size up to .318 on the .303. I think Yonky has .015. http://www.coilandfoil.com/
    I'd bet they are not NOE quality like molds. -tj

Boolit Grand Master

Check with tool suppliers copper or aluminum shim stock may be available by .001 increments. We had steel, hardened steel, some plastic and brass shimm stock in .001 increments. Stock suppliers may have it also but the amount you need to buy here would be prohibitive.

In Remembrance

I found that the box box store material got reduced in thickness. The stores require that the manufacturers reduce price every year (2% on average) , so the best way to reduce cost/price was to reduce rolled thickness on the aluminum. It's roof flashing, as you know, and thickness doesn't really matter.
    I couldn't find anything near .015" anywhere.

I went to Yonky and he is supplying wonderful thicker material for my Freechex tools. I suggest that you buy it slit to the right width, in a roll. Less waste that way.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance
    If you want to use flashing aluminum or copper go here http://amerimax.com/catalog.html Scroll down in the bottom left hand corner to Flashing. Pick your thickness take the model number and do an internet search. Lot of deals out there because construction is down! I made a copy of page three and keep it handy for continual searches . I have found that certified 3003 has less nickle content and is better material for smaller calibers.
    James

Boolit Master

The reason most of us get uneven fit results making checks from flashing is that the thickness varies from place to place on the roll. Sometimes 2or3 thousanths. It's the price you pay for using inexpensive material. I always bring a mike to the store but it just tells me if I'm in the ballpark.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post

Sizing to .310 too.

Another thing to try for a boolit with a undersized GC shank, is to size the boolit without a GC, sometimes that will increase the size of the GC shank, then install a GC and size again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001