RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: I gave it a try BUT.

Red face I gave it a try BUT.

The sand colored "bacon grease" yellow powder (from SMOKE) doesn't work for me. In fairness to him, I questioned whether I can use the liquid/slurry with the product he sells. He basically said he never does his coating this way. So i risked about 20 bucks. for a finer smoother "better' coating.
    I have coated many thousands of my 135 grain 9mm, and Lee 180 grain .40, and a few hundred 225 grain Lyman 45s always using a slurry . My powder coat is HF white mixed with some black and my medium is acetone. The color I mix comes out a Navy ship gray, almost glossy after baking.

The yellow powder mixes funny pours funny and dries flat almost flourescent, and sticks to the screen, the pail, and the baking rack. I am staying with my old ways. Like my Dad said, the enemy of good is "better".
    BTW shipping was fast and the product expertly packaged. Thanks for your services Smoke!
    "If you are finished: unload, show clear, if clear, hammer down, holster". CLEAR!

Boolit Buddy
    There are several formulationS. Of PC. One or two will work with your slurry technique. HF seems to work that way. Smoke'S powder will not. It also blendS better between colors. Did you use all the yellow up? Might take it off your hands.

Ed C

Boolit Mold
    I have the "Bacon Grease" yellow now, going to try ESC with my Harbor Freight set up.

I usually buy powder from a "local" E-Bay guy (afterhoursmech) and it's outstanding. Lots of good reviews on Smoke's stuff so here's my opportunity.
    “Nothing of value is free. Even the breath of life is purchased at birth only through gasping effort and pain... The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself--ultimate cost for perfect value”
    Robert A. Heinlein

Banned

why not use it like he recommends. The failure seems to be your altered process.

Boolit Master
    I used the "piglet" method to good success when I was still experimenting, but the ASBBDT seems more effective with coverage if a bit slower. I used lacquer thinner instead of acetone though. Pigment was a bit patchy in spots and this was when I was just dumping them on the wire tray and baking away. I'd get a handful of rejects with each batch and just toss them back in to remelt. Then I discovered hitek for the dump method, and started standing up the PC boolits.

I never tried smokes powders with the slurry, just HF red.

Quote Originally Posted by edctexas View Post
    There are several formulationS. Of PC. One or two will work with your slurry technique. HF seems to work that way. Smoke'S powder will not. It also blendS better between colors. Did you use all the yellow up? Might take it off your hands.

Ed C
    I handed off my yellow Pc to a friend who ESC's his pills. I got back a supply of all purpose spray-paint that he was willing to swap, and I needed.
    "If you are finished: unload, show clear, if clear, hammer down, holster". CLEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    why not use it like he recommends. The failure seems to be your altered process.
    Really?

Thumbs up YES..Really...

Quote Originally Posted by duhbob View Post
    Really?
    ^^^Most all of us here Tumble Powder Coat=DRY..

I know that, although I do not use Smokes PC (All Powder Paints), I coat dry and always get a GREAT-Slick coat just with the Air Soft BB's and powder coat paint in a #5 container, baked @ 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or so...Bill.
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the post duhdob, I'll have to read up on the Slurrly Method.
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
    Thanks for the post duhdob, I'll have to read up on the Slurrly Method.
    Aaron
    The "PigletMethod" is all I was referring to. At about 125 boolets 180grain( or 150 135grain) dry, in a plastic pail, pour about a half ounce of (pc/acetone mix) liquid and quickly agitate and pour onto a hardware cloth tray and bake @ 400 for 20. Yes you can get a one-coat application that does a good job making volumes of finished bullets in a fairly short time. My sport calls for shooting A's with urgency, not long distance. A quick 20 yard hit on steel is accuracy enough. My "Piglet" stuff works well.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The piglett method is an old (failed) attempt to plastic coat boolits back when people refused to buy ESPC guns. I have 2 of them. But I played around with the wet method with ever solvent (I have a LOT of them in my shops!!) and powder I could find and none of them worked worth a tinker's darn. Then we all came up with and developed the BBDT method that gives almost perfect coats for most people. I use it and ESPC all the time.

I would highly suggest to forget the wet method and stick with what many hundreds and hundreds of us have develpoed and proven to work over the past almost 4 years.....BBDT.

You will be happy with BBDT and ESPC!