RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Fermenting pickles ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Fermenting pickles ?

Well this is really not much of a topic with no more than I have to report but what tha heck .
    I have always wanted to try making the fermented pickles . The topic was discussed here not that long ago and spurred me to attempt it .
    The farmers market opened last week and had some smaller cucumbers so on an impulse I got about 3 lb . I had saved a good gallon jar to do in with at work but on looking for it discovered one of the people I work with had thrown it away thinking it was junk . Sooo had to improvise , I'm using 2 big plastic Folgers coffee cans . Cleaned em good . Had to get dill at the grocery store , used 14 tablespoons of kosher salt (I have seen many different recommendations on amount of salt)in a gallon of distilled water with 3 big cloves of elephant garlic in each can (quartered) . One teaspoon of pepper corns in each . I split the cucumbers in half as they are about 4'-5'' long . Washed good and cut the ends off .
    This is a simple recipe compared to most I have seen but this is more or less an experiment . They have been in the brine 3 days and judging by the foam on top I'd say they are 'cooking' .
    There are many thoughts on how long to let them ferment . Any suggestions ?
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-08-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Time can vary ,things like warmth,cold ,lightness, darkness all plays a part,I'm guessing that you're trying for the lactose fermented pickle barrel type as opposed to the kind that is usually referred to as "refrigerator pickles" ,I've had more luck ( by luck I mean people can't get enough of ) than with the true fermented ones,my biggest problem is even after I keep any scum removed I still taste the scum ( it may be all in my head combined with an acute sense of smell/taste )
    Usually when they stop being 'active' they're done ,or conversely when they've attained the flavor you desire putting them in the fridge will end the 'activity'
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    My wife salts some every year , she uses a glass jar , whole cucumbers, and a rock to keep them submerged in the brine . If they contact the surface that go bad , good luck

Moderator Emeritus

I did some last year, down to 4 pints in the fridge where I put them to stop fermenting. Getting really good as they age. Have that old fashioned pickle flavor.

Day 4 , cleaned the scum off the top . Brine is really cloudy . Dug one out and ate a cucumber half . Didn't taste rotten/bad but was really soft just about mushy . Taste ain't all that great , could use more dill . I'll let them sit a while longer . If I don't post in a few days I have died of fermented pickle poisoning . In that situation ;

To MaryB I bequeath my full set of Mirro stainless steel pots and pans . Although she may have been partially responsible for me coming to a terrible and premature agonizing death I harbor no ill feelings .

To Dougguy I leave my Lodgeware pots . Yep , all 3 of em . Having been inspired by your cooking wizardry with many spices I never even heard of . I still wake up calling out when I dream about the bacon wrapped pheasant you made last Christmas . I wish I had lived long enough to get a smoke stick for the smoker but heck ....can't have it all I guess .

I'm sure by the time I croak I'll figure out a few more to honor that didn't tell me not to do this pickle thing when they knew I wasn't smart enough to pull it off . But no reason to worry I don't owe anybody here any money......I think ?
    Last edited by Boaz; 05-09-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Lactic bacteria are good for you! But don't over do before you get used to them! Or you will be reading in the bathroom for a day or two!

I appreciate that tip or possibly sharing of experience . Gonna let em sit a bit longer but they really ain't looking like a winner at this time . Time will tell .

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Day 4 , cleaned the scum off the top . Brine is really cloudy . Dug one out and ate a cucumber half . Didn't taste rotten/bad but was really soft just about mushy . Taste ain't all that great , could use more dill . I'll let them sit a while longer . If I don't post in a few days I have died of fermented pickle poisoning . In that situation ;

To MaryB I bequeath my full set of Mirro stainless steel pots and pans . Although she may have been partially responsible for me coming to a terrible and premature agonizing death I harbor no ill feelings .

To Dougguy I leave my Lodgeware pots . Yep , all 3 of em . Having been inspired by your cooking wizardry with many spices I never even heard of . I still wake up calling out when I dream about the bacon wrapped pheasant you made last Christmas . I wish I had lived long enough to get a smoke stick for the smoker but heck ....can't have it all I guess .

I'm sure by the time I croak I'll figure out a few more to honor that didn't tell me not to do this pickle thing when they knew I wasn't smart enough to pull it off . But no reason to worry I don't owe anybody here any money......I think ?
    That's pretty funny!
    My dad tells everyone the way he tests a batch of kraut. When he thinks it's done, he eats a handful right out of the crock. Waits three days, if he doesn't die, it's good to go!

Well ............pickles were a fail . Edible but didn't amount to much . Did something wrong I guess BUT we will try again later .

I'm no expert but I remember my Mom adding Alum to keep them crisp?
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

I made some last year with great success. The brine gets cloudy and off putting, but I'm still here to tell about it. This is the direction I went with the.

http://www.myhumblekitchen.com/2013/...ented-pickles/
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Moderator Emeritus

I still have 4 pints of homemade fermented pickles in the fridge, brine is white but they taste sooooo good! Old fashioned pickle flavor I remember from my grandmother!

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierlogger View Post
    I made some last year with great success. The brine gets cloudy and off putting, but I'm still here to tell about it. This is the direction I went with the.

Looks like a good link and pretty simple . I am going to give it another shot soon . Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Looks like a good link and pretty simple . I am going to give it another shot soon . Thanks !
    It was, they were really tasty too.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierlogger View Post

This is a very interesting site! Put it in my favorites for future reference! Thanks!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.