RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: PC success (with a question)

Boolit Buddy

PC success (with a question) UPDATE

I did my first PC batch. 121gr, 9mm RN. 2 PC applications (HF red), shake & bake. 400°F for 30 minutes in the old toaster oven set on convection bake.

They measure out at 0.365" so I picked up about 9 thou with the PC. Should I load them as they are or should I resize them to say 0.357"?

I don't know if it matters, but I use the Lee FCD for all my pistol loads. Would crimping with that squeeze them down enough once they are loaded and eliminate the need to resize before loading?

I have multiple 9mm pistols so I would like a "one size fits all" solution.

UPDATE
    Sized to 0.358", loaded over some Red Dot, and factory crip applied (lightly), they ran well. One thing I did discover is that if your powder measure gets stuck on your progressive press and you get rounds with no powder, PC boolits get stuck WAY harder than lubed plain lead. And you would be surprised how far the primer will push the boolet into the rifling. Thankfully not far enough to allow another round to chamber, but I knew I was going to run into this so I went to the range prepared.
    Last edited by daschnoz; 08-30-2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Update added
    7.62NATO - because shooting something twice with 5.56NATO is just plain silly.

Boolit Buddy
    Only one coat of PC is necessary. The easiest to obtain a good coating with shake & bake for me has been Smoke's clear that goes on white and turns clear in the oven.

I would try sizing to .358''.

The Lee FCD does size the boolit down excessively in the brass case at times. You can drive the carbide sizing ring out of the Lee FCD as many do. I seem to recall a few people lapping out the carbide post sizing ring to a satisfactory diameter, but the ring is tough stuff.

I remove my pistol barrels and every round I make now is dropped into the chamber to make sure it seats in the chamber adequately. Saves surprises at the range and since I have started doing that I have had 100% reliability from my hand loads.

Mike

Banned

well you'd be about right for a 9m Makarov round.
    .006 is gonna be a workout, even with the slippery stuff on them,, eat your Wheaties.

Boolit Master
    Oh my goodness. Only use one coat and DO NOT FOR ANY REASON use your FCD to size a bullet that is already in the casing.

The reason is simple. The brass has spring tension this is what creates what's commonly called neck tension. When you seat your bullet into the casing the brass stretches around the bullet.

If you squeeze the brass down around the already seated bullet the spring tension of the brass will make it, well, spring back but the lead bullet can not spring back so you will end up with ZERO NECK TENSION !!!!!

If you don't believe me just try it but don't crimp because it may give you a false result.

Your 2 coats are probably not a problem and should still size down ok in a typical push through size die.

Like the last post suggested I also suggest .358" and don't use the FCD if you can feel your bullets rubbing the post sizing ring as they pass through it.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    One coat is all you need. And 30 minute bake is a total waste of your time & electricity!!!!!! 10 min @400°F after the powder turns shiny is all that is needed.

I use 358 on all my 9mm guns with excellent success.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    One coat is all you need. And 30 minute bake is a total waste of your time & electricity!!!!!! 10 min @400°F after the powder turns shiny is all that is needed.

I use 358 on all my 9mm guns with excellent success.

banger
    That's 30 minutes into a cold oven. About 20 in a preheated oven. This way I don't need to babysit the oven until the coat gets shiny before I start my timer.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never use a "COLD" oven. I preheat it to 400F before even sticking in the 1st tray of boolits. Then only 10 min after the powder turn shiny. You can bake for an hour if that gives you the warm fuzzies, but 10 is all it takes for perfect boolits every time. And many MANY thousands of them prove that for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manwithnoplan View Post
    how long do it be take for powder to turn shiny? is it 5 minutes and than 10 minutes on top for totil of 15 minutes?
    However long it takes! Don't get hung up on this timing thing. Totally dependent on how cold your climate is. You gotta warm up those little buggers to 400F. Best indication is NOT time-based at all - - but turning shiny.....ALL of 'em.

But it IS only 10 min AFTER they turn shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwithnoplan View Post
    so about 15 minute total?
    In a preheated oven, 15m is all I bake. One coat, HF red or any of Smoke's, good results & they only get about 0.0015" larger. I size all my bullets but that is just me trying to be uniform.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Perma-Banned

In a preheated oven...15mins works fine...I don't even check...put them in and set the timer for 15mins...when it dings, they are ready.

Boolit Buddy
    Bump for update.