RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Robert Heinlein Fans Here?

Boolit Master

I always liked his work too.My most memorable is Stranger in a Strange Land.Been a long time though.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy

Actually, the major change in Stranger in s Strange Land makes me think it was one of his lesser works, I got started on SciFi by reading Andre Norton. She wrote a lot more than just SciFi, though. I remember a lot of Heinlein books I liked. Hard to pick a favorite. I need more of his books, but unfortunately I have a couple thousand books in my library already ...
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Buddy
    I still have the hardback copy of Starship Trooper that a family friend gave me in the late 50's. Turns out that is a second edition. Will be keeping that one for my grandson.
    ASFAIK have all of Heinlein's works and read each of them several times.
    Chill45100

Moderator Emeritus

I have several autographed Heinlein first editions. Those are my treasured library and reside in the gun safe(with the dehumidifier!). I forgot about Andre Norton, quite a few good reads! At one point my paperback scfi library was well over 3,000 books. I got tired of moving them and donated all the common copies to the library. So many are available free online now so I load up my Kindle app...

This thread started getting me nostalgic to read Heinlein again. I checked on Amazon and his books are up there with the cost of a paper back copy.

I believe Norton was the first Science Fantasy I ever read way back in the third grade. Lay the foundation for all the other SciFi to come.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have several autographed Heinlein first editions. Those are my treasured library and reside in the gun safe(with the dehumidifier!). I forgot about Andre Norton, quite a few good reads! At one point my paperback scfi library was well over 3,000 books. I got tired of moving them and donated all the common copies to the library. So many are available free online now so I load up my Kindle app...
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I didn't, care for Stranger in a Strange Land. Tunnel in the Sky and Starship Troopers are some of my favorite books.

Heinlein's work was what got me to learn that reading IS fun.Hated reading and only did it when made to or wanted to learn something.Starship Troopers...HAH....read that while on leave between boot camp and jump school.Talk about perfect timing.Read all the novels,some multiple times, and a good many of the shorter works too.I'm sure he had a profound influence on the way I see things.

Banned
    I also have read all his books & shorts, many, many times. Just bought Glory Road again, just cause I wanted to read it again & couldn't find it in my mess. Same thing on Poul Anderson's "High Crusade". "Farnham's Freehold" may be just around the corner!

Boolit Mold
    My signature line is a dead giveaway.

I am a fan like my father before me.
    Now that my dad's passed it's like a connection to him through some of those books.
    Yeah I am a fan.
    “Nothing of value is free. Even the breath of life is purchased at birth only through gasping effort and pain... The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself--ultimate cost for perfect value”
    Robert A. Heinlein

Boolit Bub

My favorites:

“Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”― Robert A. Heinlein

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

“A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

“God created men to test the souls of women.”― Robert A. Heinlein

“If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

“Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them going past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

“Government! Three fourths parasitic and the other fourth Stupid fumbling.” -- Robert A. Heinlein

“A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Boolit Master
    Lon,

You forgot "No 'Department of Defense' ever won a war."

He was investigated in the early 1940's as a possible Atomic Spy, because he had written a story about a fission bomb. Must have gotten a look at some of the Manhattan Project research reports, they thought. But all he had done was extrapolate the open literature work of the 1930's to its logical conclusion. A very prescient man.

Moderator Emeritus

Look at his book Friday... corporations are running the planet, not governments. Corporations are fighting, not governments... we have the first part already and you could argue the second because wars are to enrich the 1% and the bankers.

Boolit Master
    Definite Heinlein fan here, started reading his works when I was about ten... I can say one of the best moments in my life was handing my well worn copy of Starship Troopers to my son. He loved it!

Heinlein's writing definitely had an impact on my life. I am a better husband, father, and man because I keep trying to live up to the standards of his characters.

Boolit Master
    He's the best of the lot ,had his books in the seventies his political views match my own.

I haven't read all his works yet, but I'm working on it.

I've got a 10 year-old Great Nephew who loves to read (AND shoot) who's probably at the right age for 'Tunnel in the Sky', might be a bit before he'll appreciate 'Starship Troopers'.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Last words of Major General John Sedgwick, Battle of Spotsylvania.

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Started with "Stranger in a Strange Land". Then started reading almost all he wrote. I still love the statement from Starship Troopers about the murderer and his being put to death, this is paraphrase, and how if he is a sane man he will commit murder again and if he is insane and cured he would not be able to live with what he has done. So therefor death is the only alternative.
    This i s also my fav. Read this book in ROTC back in college it was on the reading list. If you read starship troopers then you know why.

Next is the forever war.

That man saw the future when he wrote.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

This thread prompted me to track down a copy of Starship Troopers. I just finished it last night. I did enjoy it. I paid less than $4 on Thrift Books. I also bought "Fart Proudly" by Ben Franklin and the 1st Game of Thrones book so I had over $10 and got free shipping.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I recently re-read the Heinlein short story "The Man Who Traveled in Elephants" for the umpteenth time. Still gets me choked up.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Master

have 87 of his in .mobi format.

read the 'unabridged' version of stranger in a strange land recently.
    liked it a little less than most of the other titles of his so far.

i'll get through the collection eventually i think

'monkey

Fan???? Check out my Sig line.
    Have read everyone of his works (including the shorts and "kids"). "Moon is a Harsh Mistress", "Friday", all of the Lazarus Long series are just a few of my favorites. Revolutionary author with a very prescient idea of what was to come.
    Silver Eagle

TANSTAAFL
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    - Robert A. Heinlein from "The moon is a harsh mistress"