Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Loading gate non-alignment on Ruger

In Remembrance

Loading gate non-alignment on Ruger

I am sending my BlackHawk 357 to Ruger with a transfer bar problem. I am going to request they correct the cylinder be corrected to index correctly at the loading gate Any chance they can do that? If so is there is a need to send the 9mm cyl with it, or is the problem unrelated to the cylinder?

Banned

What is the transfer bar problem?
    Now Ruger does have guns with a ball detent to align cylinders for extraction but most SAA's are by sight. You turn by hand to align to see where the chamber is.
    I don't see what the problems are. Loading is the same, turn too far and just go to the next.
    You can buy a hand so you can rotate both ways like a BFR.

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger will tell you that's how it's designed and to deal w/ it. Install a free spin pawl if you want to have control over it.

In Remembrance

It has a free spin pawl but it clicks into a detent that holds it in position. That position is not aligned with the chamber of the ejector. The problem with the transfer bar is that the bar slides up until it hits the firing pin and stops. If aiming downward it happens every time. If held level it happens half the time. If pointed up it works normally. I bought the gun used off by broker and it took me a while to figure out the problem.
    Ruger is sending a box for shipping. Good company, why I buy Ruger.

Banned

There is a pawl and spring in the cylinder pin to push the bar back. If missing or damaged or the pin was replaced lacking one, that is the problem.
    A pin that walks out will do it too.
    Ruger will fix but might change the free spin hand.

Boolit Buddy
    Why Ruger made the new revolvers to load this way is beyond me, it drives me nuts because it so easy to go too far and when you hear the click you went to far, the old style loaded on the click like all single action revolvers. I made mine to free spin forward and backward so it made loading a lot easier. If you have a click than you don't have a free spin paw in your gun because if free spin there will be no clicks when you spin the cylinder. you can buy the paws or make it yourself is so inclined.

Banned

I'd let them fix it back to factory then shoot it before I made any mod's to it.

Boolit Master
    As .44man suggested, it is a center pin problem. The spring loaded center piece is what keeps the transfer bar away from the bottom of the firing pin.

Banned

I understand some Rugers had a ball somewhere up front that falls in a detent to align the cylinder to the ejector rod. I think he has one of those.
    That would be the click he hears.
    I never seen one though.

In Remembrance

Ok guys. It was a matter of dirt holding the small pin back in the cylinder rod. A little cleaning and no more problem. I can live with the loadong gate situation. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Master

I hated that on my 45/45 convertible so I installed and fitted a free spin pawl, no problem now, it free spins either direction when the loading gate is open.

What is the loading gate situation? Just that the chambers don't line up?

In Remembrance

Yes, the chambers line up in between a click of some sort and easily rotates with the slightest nudge to where the round can't be inserted or the ejector rod will not enter the chamber. Then you can't back up but have to turn the cylinder another revolution. Not too difficult once you get accustomed to it.

Banned

If you can't back up you do not have a free spin hand. All my BFR's have them but not my Rugers. My BFR's spin the cylinder both ways when the gate is opened. Rugers need turned all around again.
    Someday I will fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Yes, the chambers line up in between a click of some sort and easily rotates with the slightest nudge to where the round can't be inserted or the ejector rod will not enter the chamber. Then you can't back up but have to turn the cylinder another revolution. Not too difficult once you get accustomed to it.
    So, if it's doing that with a freespin pawl installed, you still need to fit it. All of my Blackhawks get a freespin. I have one that required a considerable amount of material to be removed to get it to operate properly. The first one I did required very little, and was easy to get in order. Just file a little more material off of that pawl. I think the factory original pawl is only around $11 if it gets completely messed up, however, I think that a situation like that would border on impossible.

Boolit Buddy
    I you don't want to take the gun apart and file the paw, Midway sells free spin paws for rugers.

Even with those freespins, fitting is sometimes required. Not usually, but occasionally.

Boolit Master

Mine required quite a bit of fitting.