Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: S&W Model 69 Grips are brutal

S&W Model 69 Grips are brutal

So I went out to the range to test my new M69 and shoot Skeeter's 44 special loads and the rubber grips tore the webbing of my hand up pretty badly. I assume sweaty hands and these rubber grips don't mix, giving extra tackiness to rub my skin raw. I have to admit their size is nice for packing in the bush, but I would like to have a different set for range sessions.

I understand that grips are very personal and subject to one's preference/hand size,but curious to what you folks prefer on the L and K frame Smith's. This is my only wheel gun with rubber grips and I think My hands don't agree with this material.

The common answer here is going to be to pick up a set of Hogue grips made for the 500S&W. Can only get them on the S&W website. They have padding on the back strap, and this is a common upgrade for the '69. I'm planning on picking up a 69 in the next month or two, am really looking forward to it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post
    The common answer here is going to be to pick up a set of Hogue grips made for the 500S&W. Can only get them on the S&W website. They have padding on the back strap, and this is a common upgrade for the '69. I'm planning on picking up a 69 in the next month or two, am really looking forward to it.
    What he said.

My 3 inch Smith & Wesson 629 currently wears the 500 S&W X-frame Impact Absorbing Hogue grips (with the cushioned padding on the back strap) for the same reason.

Took me a while to find em on Smith's website the first time, so here's a link for you.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_N

They don't look pretty like wood grips, but they do what they are supposed to.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master
    I have the Smith 500X frame grips on my 329PD and I love them. It's my understanding that the 500X frame grips will also fit your Smith 69.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 500 X frame grips on all of my K, L, & N frame round butt S&Ws including the M69 and 329. Recoil and the bone at the base of my thumb don't get along, the X Frame grips solve the problem for me.

Buds also has them:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...lurq5a0dgsqcb6

FWIW,

Paul

Wrap some electric tape around the tacky grips, that should allow them to slip without tearing skin.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

I had the same issue. Ordered a pair of Herrett Jordan Trooper's. The M69 is now my favorite revolver. Those grips were made perfectly, and really help me shoot that firearm even better. I don't care for synthetics as well, so that made wood grips the best choice for me.

Here are the X frame grips on my 629-3 and it makes it actually fun to shoot, no matter what load. They would be perfect for your 69.

Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Boolit Grand Master
    I slapped a pair of Pachmayr Compacs on mind but am waiting for my cylinder to come back from Doug Guy to shoot the darn thing again. So far, I have been under whelmed. Mediocre accuracy, heavy leading and severe recoil make for less than satisfactory shooting. I have polished the bore, and am having the cylinder throats expanded, but this has not been the gun of my dreams.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Herrett will also make a set to your specific hand. You trace the outline of your hand onto the order form, from that outline they make the grips to fit your hand.
    Another maker , Ahrends , work extremely well on my two S&W's , a model 58 41 magnum and a model 64 38 special , both guns are stocked with matching Retro Combats .
    If you prefer rubber I have come to prefer Pachmayer's , they come in many different styles and seem to fit my hand the best.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Yep, either Hogue 'rubber' or the Jordan grips in wood.

When I got the Python from my FIL I used the factory grips. 50rds of 158gn .357 loads and finely checker grips do not go together! Put the Hogue grips on and it is a joy to shoot.

I still love the looks of the factory grips, just can't use them on range sessions. They are stored away for safe keeping.

Vendor Sponsor

Bullwolf: Thanks for that direct link. I bought a set for my 696. I already had a set of the rubber grips on the gun but like all S&W's the gun still hit the web of my hand hard. These new ones will tame it down immensely.

The M69 is the beefed up version of the 5 shot .44 Spec. 696 with a longer cylinder and a bigger spigot on the barrel. A little heavier gun but still lighter than an M29. I love mine but it does wear on you after about 25-30 shots. Great carry gun for offroading. Love the Mernickle Holster!

Here's a before pic with the rubber grips will post one with the new X Frame grips when they arrive. You can see they left the Backstrap completely exposed.

After X Frame Grip install Pic Posted, with Orange Match Box. Easy to see the extra padding in the upper portion of the grip.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-06-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Bullwolf: Thanks for that direct link. I bought a set for my 696. I already had a set of the rubber grips on the gun but like all S&W's the gun still hit the web of my hand hard. These new ones will tame it down immensely.

The M69 is the beefed up version of the 5 shot .44 Spec. 696 with a longer cylinder and a bigger spigot on the barrel. A little heavier gun but still lighter than an M29. I love mine but it does wear on you after about 25-30 shots. Great carry gun for offroading. Love the Mernickle Holster!

Here's a before pic with the rubber grips will post one with the new X Frame grips when they arrive. You can see they left the Backstrap completely exposed.

Randy
    Glad I could be of some help.

Nice looking pictures Randy and stu1ritter.

My photography skills aren't nearly as good, but here's my old Hogue grips with the open back strap, (off of the revolver) and the padded/cushioned 500 S&W X-frame grips mounted on my Smith 629-4 Backpacker.

I'm glad to hear the Hogue X-frame grips work for others, as well as they did for me. The exposed metal back strap on my short barreled (3 inch) 629 would really slam hard into my hand. It quickly became unpleasant after a few shots.

The Hogue X-frame grips with the covered padded back strap made my 629 shoot-able, at least for more than a cylinder or two full of magnum loads. I actually enjoy running a box of ammo or two through the 629 with the X-frame grips.

Other than the shooting discomfort, my Backpacker is a convenient size revolver for me for Ranch duty. Stuff like bush hogging with the tractor, driving the ATV, cutting firewood, or sitting in the truck while driving around the farm. I know many here like longer barreled revolvers more, but for everyday use I prefer to have nothing longer than a 4 inch barrel on my belt. Not saying that I don't like longer barreled revolvers, because I do... I just don't like to do much work while wearing one.

I don't live in Alaska, and other than my fondness for the 44 magnum caliber, a 357 Magnum or 45 ACP would easily do just about anything that I'd ask of a pistol.

It's surprising the difference a few extra inches of barrel makes in felt recoil.

I find a 2½ inch barrel even on a large frame 44 Dan Wesson revolver to be unpleasant for me to shoot, but a 6 inch or longer barreled 44 Magnum (or even 445 Supermag) I can easily tolerate.

To me an 8, or 10 inch barreled 44 Magnum feels downright polite, but unless you like wearing a chest rig, it's awkward and unwieldy for to carry around something that large, and still do everyday stuff.

I don't know how folks manage to shoot the lightweight alloy frame short barrel 44 Magnums more than a couple of times either. If I owned one, I suspect I'd only practice with it for extremely short shooting sessions, or it would likely only see 44 Special loads. Bet one would be a real featherweight to pack around though.

- Bullwolf

Vendor Sponsor

Bullwolf: I got those grips off the S&W website that you linked for us, and they had a list of all the guns they would fit, which was essentially all the L, N and X framed guns with round butts.

The existing grip on my gun is a little small for my hand and the extra thickness of the new grip will help fill it out, so to speak.

I can't wait to try them out and will post my impressions as well as pics when they arrive next week.

As far as the 329's go I almost bought one a few years back as I could have gotten a real deal at $750 for the gun thru a FFL Buddy. I already knew at that time that shooting full house magnum loads would be really painful in a matter of 1-3 shots. I was glad I hadn't bought it as that early generation of guns didn't have the SS Blast Deflector above the forcing cone and thus had problems with eroding the top strap of the frame. I just looked at a new one the other day, and it had a pretty substantial piece of SS imbedded in the frame there to prevent erosion. Still priced at $1050 which I don't intend to spend as I have my 696 which is a dedicated .44 Special, and a Ruger BH Bisley .44 Special as well.

The 329's are not very good .44 Magnums IMHO because of their light weight, but they are pretty damn good .44 Specials, and as a carry gun, weight really matters.

When you pick one up your first thought is,,, "Is it Real?" 26 oz is pretty light for a gun this size...

All of my shooting with that gun would have been with Midrange Special Loads any way as the .44 Special can be loaded to compete very closely to Midrange Magnums, and even those are more than I'd need in 99% of my shooting. Anyone who thinks getting hit by a 240 gr boolit at any speed is not going to hurt is a fool. It would probably go clean thru a man at 600 fps anyway, but who's counting?

Any Opinions based on Real World experience in this area are welcome. And as our world is changing before our eyes,,, knowing the real world effects of our weapons is valuable knowledge to have.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-30-2016 at 05:38 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Vendor Sponsor

Got my X Frame Grips today. Installed in a few minutes. Dry Practiced for about a half hour from the Kydex Holster.

Night and day difference in the grip acquisition. These grips are slightly larger in the palm area. (obviously the same area that was lacking in the open strap grips.) and that small difference fills my hand a lot better.

Also the Extra Padding in the web area is going to be very beneficial at cutting down the Traditional S&W D/A hit to the web of your hand we all grew up with.

I'm really glad Bullwolf posted the link as these grips made this gun. Here's a pic and I also posted this pic in my previous thread so you can see a side by side comparison. Well worth the $35!

Randy

Groo here
    I have Hogue x frames on my 3in 44 629 , Trr8, and Pack's on my 3in 657 41,625 45acp and 325 TR.
    I find the Hogue's are quite large and only use the on a heavy kicker[44mag]
    The Pack's are smaller,get the thin ones that cover the backstrap[ the compacts are thicker and bulker]
    The main reason I go the Hogue grips is to put a lanyard on the gun [ using the ring screw that holds them on]

Grips don't need padding to handle recoil. They just have to fit the hand and not stick to the material. Here is my 629 with Herretts smooth Roper grips made to measure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smith and Wesson 629.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.