RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from CA to TN, Transporting Powder, primers ect..

Boolit Master
    Breath the free air my friend

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    I'd load it all up in whatever I was using to move with, and keep my mouth shut, and drive carefully.
    This. I would also try real hard to move as much of that stuff, guns included in whatever vehicle I was driving. It's not like we have check points (yet) in the country. Mind your manners and you won't have problems.

I did have commercial movers move guns and reloading stuff to and from Alaska and didn't have problems. Seems Canada allowed you to move 1,000 primers, 1,000 rounds of ammo and ten pounds of powder at the time and long guns were no problem. I drove right through and had no problems, the Canadian authorities were actually a lot more courteous and easier to deal with than US customs coming back into Montana. Niether side searched the truck, I was honest with them about what I had, and apparently I didn't look threatening. Military orders probably helped.

Now, I wouldn't let a mover move my guns, even if I had to pay out of pocket for a U haul to move them myself. Too much likelihood of theft and I personally get nervous about detailed inventory lists of anything I own, guns included. I'm glad I'm retired from the Army, the only other move I'll ever make is to the cemetery a few miles north of here.

Boolit Master

My experience with commercial movers is that you are paying someone to damage your property instead of being able to do it yourself. They will try to manhandle a safe even if you tell them that they need a lift gate on the back of their truck. They will side it on it's side and you'll have scratches through the paint and into the metal. There is no way I would leave my firearms in a safe that was being moved by commercial movers. They will lay it on its side, back, upside-down, whatever is necessary to move it and they don't care what damage is done to it, much less what might be rattling around inside of it. And then when you try to claim damage, they will refuse the claim. Avoid these crooks if at all possible.

Boolit Master
    Second and third on the proposal to drive the guns and hazmat yourself. Rent a U-Haul if necessary. Let the movers take care of the safe and the other tonnage.

Sadly, the fact that you are asking the question indicates you have spent too much time in California already. I was there for 24 years, and when I returned to the United States I was astounded at how much I could do without having to consult a statute book, an activist, or a lawyer. I'm still a lot more timid than my friends here, but I'm gradually getting better.

Yesterday, a guy at the rifle range took his tactical sniper rifle out of its case, screwed a big ole silencer on the end, and proceeded to "pop" away at the 500m gong! I was astounded at first and then remembered I was back in the Land of the Free.

Best advice is to go about your business keeping as low a profile as possible. Be a little more "defensive" in your driving than even what you do normally and you should get there in good shape.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TybrneRyan View Post
    Thanks Jupiter! East TN, about 45 min East of Knoxville.

I appreciate all the input everyone.
    I'm in Kingsport, so you cant be too far away and be 45 minutes east of knoxville.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    i lost my 125 pounds of powder in a tragic boating accident, along with every thing else.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes movers can "lose" a 1000 lb 6 ft high gun safe. After I assured them it was empty, they "found" it ( took a couple weeks). Major carrier too!
    Ed C

Boolit Master
    There is some good advice in this thread: that you move the guns, powder and primers yourself, drive conservatively and keep your mouth shut about it. I would add, don't have anything visible that suggests guns. I would also research which states are "must inform," and try to plan my trip so as to avoid those.

There are also some comments that you would be well advised to take with a grain of salt: references to Tennessee as a "free state," claims that we don't have checkpoints (yet), etc.

Tennessee has no state income tax, true. They miss no trick when it comes to making up for that "shortcoming" (as they see it), especially when they see out of state tags. Lots of Tennessee cops will dream up all kinds of excuses to pull you over, primarily to see if you are carrying anything worth stealing. They will claim suspicion of wrongdoing so they can take everything of value in your vehicle. Theoretically you can get the stuff back if you are somehow found not guilty. Guess what? You can't be found not guilty if you are never actually charged with anything. Podunk sheriffs and DAs are well aware of this, as are the state troopers.

As for checkpoints, Tennessee has a propensity for huge, multi-jurisdictional road blocks where they stop everyone passing through, looking for anything that brings money to the state and various agencies involved.
    If the stuff you are moving is worth very much, I would research TN lawyers and try to find one who is not corrupt (good luck with that) and make contact with him/her before you make the move. Then have the lawyer on speed-dial. Keep stuff out of sight, don't answer stupid questions, don't consent to any search, don't exit the vehicle if pulled over unless you absolutely have to (and even then try to get your lawyer on the phone, and lock the door behind you), and preferably just stay on I-40 all the way through the state. Although they have been known to have their illegal road blocks on Interstates.

I'm sure this will upset some of the TN residents on here. Oh well. Just trying to help you out, lest you actually believe all the hype about Tennessee "freedom." TN is a beautiful state and has lots of great people, yes. But the things I just warned you about are also true.

Boolit Master
    Decades ago, GONRA done this with Really Bad Stuff.
    Drive carefully, don't stop except to fillup with gas and take a whizz,
    carry peanuts and apple juice to eat, keep yer mouth shut....
    Last edited by GONRA; 06-11-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    In 50 years of driving in Tennessee, I have never seen a roadblock on an interstate; I'm not saying it's never happened but it's certainly not likely to happen. Also been through damn few sobriety or license checkpoints on secondary highways. If I was that paranoid about driving through a state I would drive around it.
    Last edited by higgins; 06-11-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Mr Higgins I have a small business in east Tn at the foothills of the Smokies and I can assure you that road blocks are conducted in the local areas around here on a regular basis. In town and in the rural areas. I am usually informed when it is going to happen and can alert my workers. Some of our freedoms have gone missing.

Boolit Master
    Here are the posted Tn Highway Patrol roadblocks just from this month: https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/s...heckpoints.pdf

They list two of them as being Interstate off ramps. They're known to lie about that though, and lots of other things besides.
    http://www.copblock.org/137023/tn-hi...bad-headlines/

Here's one of their major roadblock events a few years ago. My dad was stopped and questioned during this one, where they had the Interstate blocked and were stopping everyone. He was not driving a commercial vehicle.
    http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/201...vehicle-check/

And here's a video about what's going on in TN:
    https://youtu.be/WTeH9D_tN-k
    Last edited by Tracy; 06-11-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Here's another one:

https://youtu.be/2aI2nNr9Tik

Breathe the free air, indeed.
    Last edited by Tracy; 06-11-2016 at 11:39 PM.

Banned

Didn't realize Tennesee had that kind of situation.

Maybe move to Kansas? Gotta tell you, we have it pretty good here with regards to gun friendliness and just general level headedness of the populace here including state and local governments.

Boolit Master

Congrats & good luck on your endeavor! I'm still stuck here!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Didn't realize Tennesee had that kind of situation.

Maybe move to Kansas? Gotta tell you, we have it pretty good here with regards to gun friendliness and just general level headedness of the populace here including state and local governments.
    That's good to hear. I've been across Kansas a couple times and liked it, but I had started avoiding it because Kansas didn't honor my state's CCW license and there was no state preemption on open carry. I hear that has changed for the better this year.

Kentucky, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi are all ahead of Tennessee in the gun rights thing. Well, except for Alabama's refusal to allow unlicensed, loaded carry in a vehicle. Hopefully they'll get with the times soon. Even Tennessee charged their law for the better, on that one thing.

Boolit Master

Obviously, Tracy has had a bad experience in Tennessee. I have never encountered a roadblock on an interstate highway. About a year ago, I was stopped because I had forgotten to renew my vehicle tags. When I showed the trooper my driver's license, which had to be removed from the holder, he saw my carry permit which was behind the driver's license. He asked me if I was armed. Since I live in a small town and was near home, I wasn't. He asked me "Why not? You should be".

BTW, all the info about which states to avoid in a move will probably help those escaping from CA and similar states but is of little use to me. Despite what Tracy says, I'm staying in Tennessee.

OH! I don't think he asked the question so he could confiscate my weapon. Most troopers are pro carry.
    John
    W.TN

We escaped CA a year and half ago, used commercial mover for house hold and a U Haul truck and trailer to moved a second car (wife drove first one) plus tools and work benches. Drove through TN a lovely state and no problems.

Boolit Bub
    I'm from TN also. I grew up in MS and they seemed to have a lot more roadblocks there, actually. I've been here over a decade and have only seen a handful. I do usually stay out of the smaller towns, though. Some are notorious for corrupt local sheriffs. The big city cops have pulled me over a few times, but I act cool and they usually just give me a warning. Almost every time, I had my rifles and ammo in my car.

Thank you everyone for the input.

I planned on taking all my firearms,powder primers ect with me in either my vehicle or Uhaul and let the movers move the bulky stuff.

Going to be a long drive.