Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Rounding Out Beagled Bullets

Boolit Master

Rounding Out Beagled Bullets

If I Beagle a mold to cast bullets over the desired size, say .002 - .003 over, and then push them nose first through a LEE or Star die, will the lead from the larger diameter be moved over to the smaller diameter and thus become round and at the size I want? Or, will it end up round but the center of the body no longer in line with the center (or point) of the nose?
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master
    If you lube them first that will support the lube grooves and perhaps prevent collapse. As to the movement, you might find something similar to driving the bullet through a barrel, where the lead moves to the trailing edge of the casting. You will sometimes find this on fired bullets as well. I would not know if the amount of lead you need to move would have any affect on this or not. Try it and see.

Banned

the lead has to move somewhere.
    unfortunately the open front of the die generally means the boolit will get longer not fatter.
    if you want .002 more use a beagled boolit to lap the mold out to the wide dimensions.

Boolit Master
    Why size at all?

Banned

Molds expand at the parting line but close the other way with heat so to Beagle can make a boolit more round. I would not worry.

Really, it's a non-issue. Beagled and non-Beagled bullets fall in the same group out to 200 yards - the maximum range I have available.

Boolit Master
    It looks like I have a lot of testing ahead. Thanks

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    It looks like I have a lot of testing ahead. Thanks
    Beagled bullets shoot fine...don't over complicate this...has been done many times with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Molds expand at the parting line but close the other way with heat so to Beagle can make a boolit more round. I would not worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Really, it's a non-issue. Beagled and non-Beagled bullets fall in the same group out to 200 yards - the maximum range I have available.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Beagled bullets shoot fine...don't over complicate this...has been done many times with great results.

Yeah....what they said.
    Don't try to make it any more complicated than it already is.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    If I Beagle a mold to cast bullets over the desired size, say .002 - .003 over, and then push them nose first through a LEE or Star die, will the lead from the larger diameter be moved over to the smaller diameter and thus become round and at the size I want? Or, will it end up round but the center of the body no longer in line with the center (or point) of the nose?
    Not to any extent. The moved lead will wind up in the lube grooves. Won't be an issue until you close off the lube grooves, and a few thousands won't do it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

You might want to consider how much mucking about with a mold is possible without mucking up the mold.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    You might want to consider how much mucking about with a mold is possible without mucking up the mold.
    Beagling uses alum TAPE...no mucking about with the mold. Just put the tape on the mold and use it. If you like what you get...leave the tape on the mold for the subsequent casting sessions...if not satisfied, just remove the tape.

For me, it has worked well every time I have ever done it.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 06-11-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Boolit Master

always thought when the bullet started through the barrel it would end up round. Barrels are a lot longer than sizing dies
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

When you enlarge the mold via tape or grinding and enlarge the cavities you always risk producing a slightly out of round bullet shoot even factory new molds can be slightly out of round, sizing can often correct some of this sometimes, sometimes its not perfect...... but assume pistol bullets at ranges of 50 yards or less. Unless you are a world class shooter with a target gun, the eccentricity of our cast bullets will simply not be a issue. Keep in mind what is happening with an out round bullet the center of mass can be shifted away from dead center of the bullet, as mentioned sizing my help a little. Some asked if the going down the bore fixes this (answer no) what happens is the slight eccentric bullet rotates around the axis of the bore whiles its in the barrel. Once the eccentric bullet leaves the bore, it now rotates around its own center of mass, which as we discussed may be off center. Think of the bullet spin and flying in cork screw type flight path.

For rifles at long range eccentric flight path can be an issue, but at 50 yards or less it simply doesn't effect most of our pistol shooting.

Last tip, if you are so out of round that when you size the bullet you entirely wipe out the opposite side lube groove, then I would say at that point you definitely are too eccentric, anything less you will be fine. for pistol are <50 yards.
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master
    I'm actually working with a schuetzen rifle which has shot .300 groups at 100yds. I also shoot at 200 yds. I wanted to try this on an Eagen nose pour mold which is too small.

Boolit Grand Master

Try it with your equipment and look at your results. Our opinions are exactly that and don't reflect your circumstances. What causes me a problem, might correct one in your use or visa versa.
    Information not shared. is wasted.