Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Beer can chicken

In Remembrance

Beer can chicken

I decided to give this a try this weekend. Got a can of beer from a friend and a rub recipe off the internet, fired up the grill. I chose a rub without brown sugar as sweet chicken doesn't sound right. Grilled at 375 for two hours. Doesn't taste like beer at all, thankfully, and was really moist. Next time I will put the chicken with the rub on it in a plastic bag in the a few hours to maybe get more seasoning into the meat. It was good as is, but will experiment.

Boolit Grand Master

The beer keeps the chicken moist, that's all. I smoke mine, no rub, and use a beer 'n butter injection. Doesn't impart any beer flavor but does give it some hotness depending on how much Tabasco I use.

Put some crab boil in with the beer...awesome!

Boolit Master

What exactly is your technique? How do you set everything up to cook?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    yep or tony cachers. drink half the beer too . I found my best results if i put the dry rub on the night before on anything i bbq. time is what you need for the salt to get pulled in with the flavorings. The other benefit to beer can chicken is the vertical roasting with all sides exposed, you get even cooking and a crispier skin.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    What exactly is your technique? How do you set everything up to cook?
    I use a gas grill, light one burner turned to low, and prop the chicken upright on the unlit burners side with the can in the cavity. Use vegetable oil on the bird, inside and out before applying the rub.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Next weekend I will definitely be trying that. Have made beer can chicken many time but am always up for new things.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

A holder like this makes things easy and the bird stays upright.

Bayou Classic 0880-PDQ Stainless-Steel Beercan ChickCAN Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYR8..._mWmvxbTMXJ780
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYR8..._mWmvxbTMXJ780

Moderator Emeritus

Waste of a beer! Apple juice or even water with aromatic herbs will do the same thing.

Moderator Emeritus

Try cornish game hen and a can of pineapple juice.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I like it using a can of coca cola.
    Cast Boolit Shooter and Caster

Banned

any soda works fine too. Probably water with some seasoning would work just as good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Waste of a beer! Apple juice or even water with aromatic herbs will do the same thing.

Boolit Mold
    Newb to this site. Love cooking. Been lurking for awhile. Here's how I do mine.
    I start by washing the bird. Then slather on yellow mustard. Yea it sounds gross but the vinigar in it helps tenderize the meat and then it really browns nice for appearance. No mustard taste either. Then season heavy with your favorite rub/spice. I like a spicy cajun seasoning. Open a beer, soda or what ever you want to use in 12 oz beverage can. Empty (drink or other use) about 1/4 of it. Sit bird on can on grill. I cook them at 210-250 degrees until they are 165 degrees internal temp. If you want crisp skin increase temp for last 20-30 minutes to about 350.
    Pulls apart, tender and moist.
    Enjoy.

Blake

Anybody ever try "spatchcocking" a chicken? No idea where the term came from.

You take heavy kitchen shears/scissors and cut up the back along each side of the spine, and take the whole spine out. Then, using a butcher knife, you split the breastbone from the inside just enough so you can crack it and lay the chicken flat - like a steak. Then season/smoke/grill however you want to.

My new favorite way to cook whole chickens!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160313_170856.jpg  

Boolit Master

We just bought 2 whole chickens for this very purpose.
    I will trying it soon....dale

Boolit Grand Master
    Thats what the beer does. Keeps it very moist. A hint of beer as well.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    We do this a lot. So, I have a dedicated beer-can chicken roasting pan w/can. All stainless.
    Fill can with about 4 oz. beer, 2 oz. lite soy sauce, tablespoon of Asian spice mixture (use whatever sounds good to you) and 3/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper.
    I usually plug the neck hole with a chunk of fruit or vegetable. Keeps more steam going into the meat.

If you don't like spicy, keep cayenne pepper down to 1/2 tsp.

When chicken(s) is/are done (I always do 2), I strip the carcasses, put meat in a big bowl and pour the liquid from the can over the meat. Leftovers are always gone by lunch next day.

Another favorite around here is to marinate chicken in Italian dressing.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    If you're doing a beer can chicken make sure you watch your temps to be sure you bring your bird up to temp quick enough. The beer can can act as a heat sink and keep the interior of the bird from cooking thoroughly. That's ok for beef but a no no for poultry.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Anybody ever try "spatchcocking" a chicken? No idea where the term came from.

You take heavy kitchen shears/scissors and cut up the back along each side of the spine, and take the whole spine out. Then, using a butcher knife, you split the breastbone from the inside just enough so you can crack it and lay the chicken flat - like a steak. Then season/smoke/grill however you want to.

My new favorite way to cook whole chickens!
    This is my preferred method of cooking a whole chicken. And if you want it moist, brine it.
    You can read all the stuff online, in the magazines and in books and buy into the hypothesis but if you don't actually load up and test them then you know nothing until you do.