RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
MCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision

Thread: Shout Out To Cannon Safe Co.

Boolit Bub

Shout Out To Cannon Safe Co.

The electronic lock on one of my 4 Y/O Cannon safes kept giving trouble. I constantly was having to remove the battery and reconnect it. They talked me through the troubleshooting on the phone. We determined the inside lock mechanism was going bad.

They sent out a new lock & keypad. No charge. All I had to do was Tap the predrilled horizontal holes in the door w/ an 8-32 tap. The old keypad used the vertical holes.

The door has all 4 holes drilled from the factory. My original keypad was the older one.

Great customer service @ Cannon!
    Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. Sherlock Holmes

Boolit Master
    I have a Canon Safe (from Costco) it was a deal, is several years old and is giving me excellent service. Canon has a lifetime warranty.

Boolit Master

They just gave me the run around when I called them complaining that my key pad was junk - to this day I have to enter the combination 15 to 20 times before it decides to open.

Boolit Master

Great to hear this and will have to check them out. Looking to add another safe myself.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    They just gave me the run around when I called them complaining that my key pad was junk - to this day I have to enter the combination 15 to 20 times before it decides to open.
    When I was looking to buy a safe I had my eye on a giant cannon for a great deal. When I asked the dealer why....he took me to the back and gave me the code. I couldn't get the damn thing to open either. Thank goodness you got that faulty keypad replaced!

Moderator Emeritus

I've had no trouble with mine that I bought at Tractor Supply about 4-5 years ago. It lives in an unheated damp shop, too. I change the 9 volt battery once every year or two...

I have to keep a 75 watt light burning inside the safe or the firearms will rust. I hate rust! Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    I've had no trouble with mine that I bought at Tractor Supply about 4-5 years ago. It lives in an unheated damp shop, too. I change the 9 volt battery once every year or two...

I have to keep a 75 watt light burning inside the safe or the firearms will rust. I hate rust! Treetop
    75 watt? I would think that would keep it hot! I once put one in an old refrigerator to keep welding rods dry. Three days later I grabbed a hand full and burned my hand.

Boolit Master
    I think investing in a dehumidifier made for a safe is a lot better way to go, it works for me. My Cannon safe is 6 years old and the electronic lock has never given me a problem, no problems with anything else either.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I think investing in a dehumidifier made for a safe is a lot better way to go...
    I agree, Dragon and I started out with the biggest gun safe dehumidifier that Tractor Supply carried, but it just didn't ever produce enough heat to keep condensation from forming on my firearms, so I added a 75 watt light bulb, in addition to the dehumidifier, and that seems to have done the trick.

We should be finished with our new house, up here in the central Brazos valley sometime in July, then the safe will be "safely" in a controlled environment again! Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master

electronic locks on safe's, its a matter of when not if its gonna fail.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    electronic locks on safe's, its a matter of when not if its gonna fail.
    If I really need to get into my safe in a hurry I will take that chance.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    75 watt? I would think that would keep it hot! I once put one in an old refrigerator to keep welding rods dry. Three days later I grabbed a hand full and burned my hand.
    I have the 48 gun (I think) size Cannon safe and my guns stay warm to the touch but definitely not hot. Your refrigerator (good idea, BTW) is probably much better insulated than this gun safe. I agree that 75 watts is probably too much in addition to the dehumidifier, but that's what we have a lot of right now. Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master

You have not changed it to a better lock????

Boolit Master
    Would a warm to the touch stock not dry out enough to damage it? Just wondering!
    Aaron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
    Would a warm to the touch stock not dry out enough to damage it? Just wondering!
    Aaron
    Kiln Dried wood is to remove excess moisture and quickly stabilize the product for manufacture, but taken too far the wood starts to crack as some moisture is required, ever wonder why the military used to oil their gun stocks, that's the reason.

My safe will not open unless the door operator is 'fully clockwise'...there's about 5-10 degrees of slop in it, just enough that you can leave it turned 'counterclockwise' just a tad. You can enter the combination till the cows come home and it sill will not open...handle must be fully clockwise to the stops.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    My safe will not open unless the door operator is 'fully clockwise'...there's about 5-10 degrees of slop in it, just enough that you can leave it turned 'counterclockwise' just a tad. You can enter the combination till the cows come home and it sill will not open...handle must be fully clockwise to the stops.
    Hi OS,

Yes, mine does the same it says so in the programming instructions and I am sure everyone here has read the instructions..........yeah right!

Morning Rich...
    Yeah...don't try to re-program mine with instructions in hand to enter a new combination...tried it once and it didn't work, scared me when I thought I might have just removed the original number...I was in luck that day, didn't try again either.
    Oh...by the way...I posted that Gun Control E-Mail you sent...already getting the dogs barking on this one!

L8Tr...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    I got my Cannon at Tractor Supply. It's a great safe for the money.

Boolit Master
    From time to time Costco has Cannon Safes on Sale, our club has them in stock, but I think it is best to buy online so they are dropped off at your door.