Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd problem with Accurate Mold

Boolit Master
    In my opinion it is a venting or fill technique problem. I'd clean out all the carbon smoking introduced into the cavities. I believe smoking causes way more problems than it solves, and is just a band aid solution for a real mold problem. I doubt Accurate cut a cavity that produces that divot on the boolits, in fact I doubt it's possible, It's a big air bubble from poor or clogged vents, a cold mold, or too slow of a pour is my take on this one. Clean it well, skip the smoking, run it hotter and don't dribble the lead in. Let us know how you make out.

Boolit Buddy
    The lead isn't dribbled in, its streamed in under the force of a full pot. Having said that I did notice that the pore holes, in the sprue plate, are not centered over each cavity but rather offset nearly to the edge of each cavity. I doubt that is a problem but its worth mentioning? I'll scrub the mold and inspect the vent lines later today. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've filled it first and last and it makes no difference.
    ... but you haven't done this!
    So, heat the melt in the pot and the mold to a temperature so ALL 5 CAVITY SPRUE PUDDLES FROST IN 8 - 10 SECONDS
    Am also betting that you are drizzling the melt into the cavities ... STUFF the pot spout into the cavity and hold it there during the COMPLETE pour for each cavity
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I received a reply from Accurate Molds and they suggested the problem may be a small bit of residual contamination in that cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Having said that I did notice that the pore holes, in the sprue plate, are not centered over each cavity but rather offset nearly to the edge of each cavity. I doubt that is a problem but its worth mentioning?
    That is not normal. The sprue plate cannot be positioned right. It would need to be adjusted.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
    In the land of the disarmed, the one armed man is king.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    The lead isn't dribbled in, its streamed in under the force of a full pot. Having said that I did notice that the pore holes, in the sprue plate, are not centered over each cavity but rather offset nearly to the edge of each cavity. I doubt that is a problem but its worth mentioning? I'll scrub the mold and inspect the vent lines later today. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    No offence meant, and in fact "dribbling" the lead in is only 1 possibility. I have molds that actually need a slower pour to fill well. Accurate is likely right, clean the mold again very well, I use an old toothbrush and dish detergent myself. I do suggest skipping the smoking, it can mess up venting or produce undersize boolits.

Boolit Master
    It's Al Gore's fault
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Mold
    That's so funny!! I have the same mold but in a 4 cavity and mine does the same thing from time to time, it goes away after the 20th fill or when the mold heats up, adding tin helps out a lot. But even then, it happens from time to time,

Boolit Master

from Maxx's reply I 'could' entertain the thought that with all the other cavities hot with lead the lack of a lube groove causes this.
    But remember I'm only cleared for rumor and gossip.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

think about it.
    if the sprue hole is off center and the alloy is rushing in there then rolling up the wall of the cavity from the bottom it's cooling down before the cavity is full and air is getting trapped right there.
    this is creating the void.
    I have seen pigs of linotype do the same thing from being filled too fast and they are open ended molds.

try pouring that cavity first and slow down the fill speed you need to let the air out.

Turns out the holes are off center because I mounted the sprue plate backwards.

I think the culprit has been found!

Banned

Tom.....
    your accuracy level just went down to 99.99%,,, c'mon man