Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rcbs pro melt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    The Lee, in my opinion, is potentially dangerous!
    A leaky pot is definitely dangerous, and don't assume it can't happen to any bottom pour. Put a cookie sheet or some piece of metal underneath the pot on the work surface and it really minimizes the chance of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    a Pro Melt paired with a PID is casting nirvana IMHO
    I cannot agree more....+1+1+1

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rr2241tx View Post
    There's no manufacturing defect in your Lee 4/20. If it is leaking, then empty it, clean the crud out that should have been fluxed out before you filled the pot, maybe spin the metering rod in the spigot a few times with some polishing compound then refill it with clean alloy. If you can't get it to hold water, then Titan Reloading will sell you a new metering rod and spigot. Whether the RCBS is worth the additional money depends on your finances and attitude, it will leak too if not kept clean.
    I'd politely disagree. Mine dripped from the start. I then smelted clean lead in a propane tank pot and fluxed it, added it to the Lee and it still dripped. Finally I casted until near empty, cleaned it out, polished the rod and the spigot hole best I could. I then cut the handle screw down to bring the weighted knob closer AND I added a cut down spring to the top bracket screw. So it requires a little more effort to lift up but the spring will force the rod back down and keep tension on it. Works a lot better, the drips nearly subsided. Still drips a here and there but at least 75% less dripping.

I'll post pics of the spring mod later.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    let us work on the problems . 1 lee is as good as it gets --BUT they never made the rod heavy and it will float in lead. if you use a weight on the lift it WONT drip. same for RCBS if the pot is full it will drip too.
    Steel will float in lead. so understand that the drop rod will float in lead. put a weight on the handle and you wont have a drip
    RCBS has easy fix , the way the arm lifts you can use a spring under the pin. lee have to use an extra weight on handle
    Funny, My RCBS pro melt has never dripped in 11 years, and I do nothing more than clean it every few years.
    The very young do not always do as they are told.

My Pro Melt has never dripped either.