Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-40 Krag

Boolit Grand Master

Sad News

I come with sad news; I bought the 1895 as a collector piece and it appears it's all I got. I slugged the barrel and the muzzle end is quite tight but grooves are very shallow. Bottom line, the first round @ fifty yards hit sideways. Next two rounds unaccounted for. Bummer.
    Still studying on this a bit. I'm really interested in this cartridge, almost bought an 1898 Springfield custom rifle (very nice custom stock!) tonight just for a chance at a better bore.
    I'm kicking around a .314 boolit but pretty sure that won't help. As I said, I think I just need to study on this a bit more. May have to sacrifice another buckshot round for slug material. If it wasn't for the collector value it would be off to JES to return as a 35-40 or whatever he calls it.
    Rough day at the range!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear that TX. I hope that you find an answer with the larger diameter boolit. I have an 1898 Krag and a 1903 Springfield with a slightly oversize bores and they will shoot boolits sized to .313" pretty well.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    TXGunNut: I don't recall if your 1895 in 30/40 has a load of special features as issued,but if not,I'd say it has somewhat limited collector value...Assuming that, and what all Jesse O. has available, anything from 8mm/US Krag,through 33 Krag and on to the 35 Krag should yield you a fine hunting/et al rifle..In days of youth I saw more than one old 1895 that spent some time in Russia,that had ruined barrels replaced with 35 caliber Krags..one had an "Ackley improved" Chamber...Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Grand Master

I think the only feature is sling swivels but it's an 1896 vintage (flat sided) first model and serial number is under 1500. Not really sure how much collector value it actually has but I'd rather not modify it.
    I fondled a beautiful custom 1898 last night but just couldn't get interested. Has an old Unertl scope that's at least as interesting as the rifle.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Every other thing equal, than the "flatside" is a "value added" item for a way out there collector,so your thoughts are well founded...Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

TXgunnut,

i have a rifle like yours, a flat side that went through a flood and was then retired to a barn for a few decades... it was given to me, i drug it along as a wall hanger for another 10 years... then i had it repaired... no collector value, but with new wood and the rust removed and re blued, and the action repaired, it is a shooter again after forty years of dust collecting... my barrel is rough, with pits along one side, but it will give 2.5 to 4" at 100yds with a 215gr fp sized to 0.310 over 20gr of 2400... it dose look as if the barrel is cleaning up from shooting and cleaning and it's still improving... it loves long, big, boolits! they are wonderful rifles....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I come with sad news; I bought the 1895 as a collector piece and it appears it's all I got. I slugged the barrel and the muzzle end is quite tight but grooves are very shallow. Bottom line, the first round @ fifty yards hit sideways. Next two rounds unaccounted for. Bummer.
    Still studying on this a bit. I'm really interested in this cartridge, almost bought an 1898 Springfield custom rifle (very nice custom stock!) tonight just for a chance at a better bore.
    I'm kicking around a .314 boolit but pretty sure that won't help. As I said, I think I just need to study on this a bit more. May have to sacrifice another buckshot round for slug material. If it wasn't for the collector value it would be off to JES to return as a 35-40 or whatever he calls it.
    Rough day at the range!
    I feel your pain. I bought an 1895 musket years ago only to find the chamber was severely ringed. Time marches on and I decided I did not spend a few thousand to see it sit in the corner looking pretty. I decided to have it rebarreled so I could shoot it. Looking on the net I found Turnbull Mfg who works on winchesters and do gun restorations. Getting a new barrel is not cheap but I think it is worth it to get an old gun back on the line.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/

It is due back to me the middle of June. Will shoot you some pictures for a post rebarrel report if you want.

Boolit Buddy
    Have an 1898 US sporter , cast are #111284 & C312-185-1R...also a Ruger No.3 ; cast loads are 20.5gr. AA5744 , jacketed loads also shoot well

Boolit Bub
    I have an 1898 Krag with a 30+inch barrel in a cut-down, carbine-like stock. I keep poking that long barrel into things. I am considering having the barrel cut down, re-crowned and the front sight put back on. Any suggestions as to what a good barrel length would be (ballistically, aesthetically, and maneuverability)?

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw4u View Post
    I have an 1898 Krag with a 30+inch barrel in a cut-down, carbine-like stock. I keep poking that long barrel into things. I am considering having the barrel cut down, re-crowned and the front sight put back on. Any suggestions as to what a good barrel length would be (ballistically, aesthetically, and maneuverability)?
    I have three cut down Krag rifles. One is 22", another is 24" and the last one is 25". Of the three I prefer the 22" barrel. Here is a pic. It wears an old Pacific receiver sight and a Redfield Sourdough in a 1903 Springfield front bank. I have had this rifle since 1960, killing my first deer with it that year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krag Rifle.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I like that little rifle, Char-Gar. I think I can see why you've kept it around.