WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use online load info? Like Loaddata.com from the rifle/Hanloader mag folks.

Boolit Master

Anyone use online load info? Like Loaddata.com from the rifle/Hanloader mag folks.

I've always been a real stickler about what reloading data I use, mostly out of fear of blowing myself up. So I've stuck to the usual sources, almost always from the particular bullet makers manual.

Since I've been a long time subscriber to Rifle/Handloader/Hunting magazines I'm somewhat tempted to try Loaddata.com. It's not a fortune at $34.95 a year. What do you folks think of it? Does it offer anything extra?
    [

I use the powder manufacturer's data. But then I use 3 powders only - all Winchester ball powders - 231, 296 and 748. Make life easier.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I also use the powder manufacturers data. Unless it's a light load I would approach anything an individual post with caution.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I use loaddata.com the data is from published sources and each source is labeled. It combines data from Handloader, rifle, powder companies, bullet companies and several reloading manuals.

I am not aware of any random no authoritative info on there.

Think of it as a whole library of those individual caliber load books.

Boolit Master

I always use the manuals, online data to me is just another thing that could go wrong. Why types it in and did they hit the wrong key? I use Unique, Bullseye, 2400 and occasionally 4227 for heavy loads. There's a ton of information on these 4 powders in the manuals.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gsdelong View Post
    I use loaddata.com the data is from published sources and each source is labeled. It combines data from Handloader, rifle, powder companies, bullet companies and several reloading manuals.

I am not aware of any random no authoritative info on there.

Think of it as a whole library of those individual caliber load books.
    I guess I misses the part where the Handloader articles used pressure testing equipment. The authors are individual like us and worked the loads up. W/ no pressure data it's non-authoritative data that's in print. Just because it's printed in a magazine doesn't mean it's safe.

I use powder and bullet manufacturer's data. This date is pressure tested and a good starting point. If I go off book I use Quickload and a chronograph. I've found Quickload to be an invaluable tool. But like all computer programs it's GIGO.

Moderator Emeritus

I've been a subscriber to Loaddata.com for quite a few years and have never had a problem with any of the data published there. They give you the source, and you can look it up for the loading notes, etc. I have the complete collection of Handloader Magazine in binders, so it's easy to go to the issue referenced and read the loading notes. The rest of the data comes from published loading manuals.

Sometimes it's the only way to find published data on a certain combination. Just the other day, I was looking for loading data for 160 gr. cast bullets in .38 Super, but none of my loading manuals had anything listed. I went to Loaddata.com and found about a dozen loads listed, along with the referenced article by one of their authors. It saved me a bunch of time and effort in working up a load myself by the seat of the pants.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I've loaded for 300Blk when their was little load data to be had. Now I'm starting on the .277 Wolverine, and again I'm starting with online data and working my own loads.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

I subscribe to Loaddata.com they have a lot of good information. Never had any trouble with the data.

Boolit Mold
    Been with them since they started load data . The way I look at it is you can't have to much information!

Boolit Master
    I've used online sources for load data for the newer powders that aren't in my old manuals. I generally verify it by the powder manufacturer to make sure it is within the min/max load. I'm guilty of picking the Lee disk that is closest to the actual charge I want and trying it.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; Not knocking anyone, but I pay very little attention to any forum expert, range rat, pet loads website, gun counter clerk or gun shop guru when it comes to load data. For 30 years I've used published load data 95% of the time and powder manufacturer's sites for the rest (ecept I did get some load data for mu Garand from a site listing "NRA Load Data for the Garand". I looked into loaddata.com but didn't care for spending $35 and just double checking the data there against my manuals in my shop...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I reload for 32 different US & Metric calibers, smokeless & black powder. My Go to Sources for loading data are:

* Lyman 49th Reloading Manual - common current calibers, bullet weight specific
    * Complete Guide to Handloading - without a doubt the most definitive caliber/bullet weight/multiple powder reference manual... http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide...FW1GE0JDRFH7FA
    * Ideal Mold Vintage Manuals - caliber/ bullet weight specific - because I have close to 100 old Ideal molds in various calibers & bullet weight
    * Reloading Pages of MD Smith - caliber/ bullet weight specific for current popular calibers
    * Goex Load Chart for vintage BP calibers that were developed by Curtis's & Harvey in Great Britain
    Plus the SAMMI Chart of caliber pressure and COL standards for comparison to the fps of the various powder charges
    Remember also ... a chronograph is 'Your Best Friend'

I have found that the powder vendor's loading data in many cases is a small sampling of the many caliber powder charges by bullet weight
    Last edited by John Boy; 05-21-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    Regards
    John

Banned

I have been using Load Data for a few years now and I like it a lot. Have a lot of manuals as well and use powder manufacturer on-line data. I recommend it. For example, it was really useful when I went looking for published data for heavy, 155 + grain 9mm cast bullets. aside from what has been mentioned, it has Pet Load data and is constantly evolving with additional data. If $$$ is an issue, get a subscription once every few years and print out whatever data you need and then drop it for a while.

Boolit Master
    I use data from a variety of places, books, magazines, software and subscription services. I shoot mainly wildcat and/or proprietary cartridges. Also I email powder companies with a particular case and bullet companies. It saddens me when powders are dropped from a line. Worse is trying to incorporate new powders as any form of data will be years down the road from me.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

I use load data. When I got started it was $29.95/yr. so I'm locked in at that rate. I've always been satisfied with it.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Does load data have any other useful information or articles? Or is it just strictly an online reloading manual?
    [

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Does load data have any other useful information or articles? Or is it just strictly an online reloading manual?
    There is other information and articles - some for everyone and some for members only. I think articles are added on a monthly basis, load data is continually added.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

I use the powder, bullet and Load data for my sources of powder and bullet combinations for starting loads and work them up from there. I generally cross check and look/confirm load data with a second source and average out max loads and psi. Load data without psi/cup data from one source without any other manufacturers simular data is a **** shoot.

Boolit Master
    Why pay for something that is free? The powder makers offer data online, at least the powders that I use, free of charge. Now, if they offer other informaion in addition to data that is useful then perhaps it might be worthwhile, but I'll just keep doin what I'm doin.