MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: lee 358 140 gr swc mold

Boolit Buddy

lee 358 140 gr swc mold

I would like to hear some input on the lee 358 140 gr swc mold . ive been thinking about buying it and was wondering if it was worth the time and effort ? I need another 38 cal mold like I need a hole in my head but for some reason I'm really wanting to try this one out . I already own a lee 6 cav 158 tl swc mold ,a 6 cav 158 tl round nose mold ,a 6 cav 148 wc mold ,a 6 cav 105 swc mold and a lyman 358 430 2 cav mold . I'm thinking of selling the lyman though cause I never use it anymore . so do I need the 140 swc mold ? am I missing out on a good shooter ,or should I just stick with what I have ?I'm not a hunter just a plinker so it would only be used for paper punching and recreational shooting in 38spl and 357 loads .
    Last edited by sandman228; 05-19-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

A double cavity Lee is only $20.00 , complete with handles....need has nothing to do with mould buying. I have more 38/357 moulds than you can shake a stick at !
    I didn't need a single cavity Lyman 358432 160 grain wadcutter mould when it came up on ebay, bought it anyway and soon discovered it was THE most accurate boolit in all my 38/357's.....And I certainly didn't need a NOE 3 cavity mould in this exact design when I saw it listed and in stock at NOE ...I wanted it , I ordered it and I love it.
    Forget that needy business...order one ! This is not called an addiction for nothing.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Both my 357's love this mold. Make me look like I know what I'm doing at the range!

Its like a heavier 105swc. Both shoots great in my sw686.

Boolit Master
    sandman228
    I use the Lee 358-140 SWC. I first bought a 2 cavity to try the boolit in my S&W 14-6. It worked so well that I then bought a 6 cavity.The 6 cavity shot even better than the 2 cavity. When I compared the two boolits I then could see the difference.The 2 cavity drops from the mold at 134 grains and the 6 cavity drops at 140 grain casting both at the same time from the same pot of metal.Both measure .360 diamenter. The difference is in the nose length.The 2 cavity nose measure .198 long and the 6 cavity nose measures .245.The nose of my Lee 105 gr. measures .234.

Both of these 358*140 SWC molds shoot very well in all of my 38 and 357's both rifle and handguns.

If you are thinking about buying the 140 gr.I would go ahead and get a 6 cavity so whatever nose length you get you will be able to cast a bunch at one time. I have not had much luck in buying 2 identical molds and having both make the same boolit............Terry

Boolit Buddy
    tcfan I know exactly what you mean . I have the lee .452 200 gr tl swc molds in 2 and 6 cav and they almost look like 2 totally different bullets . thanks to all for the input I think I'm gonna order one . I may even order the lee 358 125 gr mold while I'm at it lol .

Boolit Master
    I bought the 6 cavity about a year ago and really like it. The mold is easy to cast with and the bullets are really accurate. The only downside I have encountered is that the sharp edges of the SWC do not feed into my Marlin lever action. However they shoot great out of my Ruger and S&W's.

Moderator Emeritus

If you buy it to use on game it has the smallest meplate ever.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Work great. Accurate.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin