Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: First thread, first COWW melt.

Boolit Master

First thread, first COWW melt.

Howdy all -
    Just as so many others, I have been lurking here for a couple years. I actually registered several months ago, but have never posted. Here goes...

I was reloading back in the 80's, mostly jacketed 9mm. Never really gave much thought to casting, was really too busy chasing skirts and drinking beer. Got married some years back, and as most guys know, there is nothing like marriage to change the way the money (not YOUR money....THE money) gets spent.

Well, life goes on. Now I'm getting back into reloading and want to cast. Mostly because a 7.5" Super Blackhawk Hunter stuck to my hand at a recent gathering, then a 5.5" .44 Mag Stainless SBH got stuck in the other hand a week or so back. Couldn't shake either loose, had to bring them home. Now I gotta feed 'em.

I picked up 2 buckets of wheel weights ( well, it was 2 buckets, but I didn't pick it up until it was split into 4 buckets...jeez, that stuff got heavy over the past 25 years....). I already had a turkey fryer burner.

I was at a buddies mechanic shop, and saw a stack of R134a canisters, empties. He must of had 50 of 'em stacked in a corner. I snagged one and turned it into a melt pot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homemade pot 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	167650 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homemade pot wlid.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	167651
    I cut it above the weld, then cut about 3" off the top end, welded it to the bottom to make it stand up. For the lid I just took the leftover top piece, cut 1/2" slits in it every inch or so and hammer-bent the edge out to sit over the bottom. Don't look too closely at the welds, my welding is so-so at best, and that metal is thin.

Made 2 ingot molds from some steel left over from another job -

Name:	Molds.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	167652
    Ain't no such thing as scrap steel - just steel that's the wrong shape for what you want.

Fired it up last weekend - had to put up the wind-break I made for the grill. I live where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain.... Third pic shows my pan of sawdust, I do have enough I think. Used wax from cheese as the reductant.

Name:	Pot w-weights 3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	167653 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On heater 2.jpg 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	167654 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Setup pic.jpg 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	167655

Ended up with 200 pounds of COWW, and 20 pounds of some range scrap I had picked up in my back-yard range many years ago. COWW in the back, range-scrap in the left front.

Name:	Finished 1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	167656

Took about 6 hours, from start to wore-out-and-in-the shower. Not a bad day.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Good Show! Congratulations
    Regards
    John

It looks like you are doing an excellent job. Please keep us up to date.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Man
    Just did something similar recently. Got the temp figured out to float the sink clips. Once I quit worrying about that it was real easy. I did 1 bucket load in about 3 hr pot looks good.
    Learning by breaking something every day!
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Grand Master

You're off to a good start! Now you need a permanent way to mark your ingots. Sooner or later they will get mixed up. Yeah, I know, always something else!

Boolit Master

So far, I am merely stacking the WW and the range-scrap in different spots. However, I can see that won't work long term.
    I think I'll just use a black marker. Cheap and easy.

Boolit Master

Your showing is better than a lot of veteran casters. My hat is off to you for your nice workmanship and attention to detail. It is clear that your enjoying your shooting hobby. Hope to see your future posts!
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    these work good and don't rub off http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...CategoryExpand

everything looks great

Boolit Bub

Great day

Vendor Sponsor

Git R Done hand!

There is a sticky thread about using Mars Staedtler pencils for a hardness tester, good cheap way to test your ingots if/when you need to. That is, unless you have a better way..

50% coww + 50% pure lead + 2% tin is one of your better alloys for a Ruger revolver, and a popular mix with a lot of folks here. Felix or other soft lube recommended..

Welcome to the forum!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Mitch - very good idea on the stamps. I believe I'll do that.

DougGuy - I will look up that sticky, thanks for the tip. Also, I think I need to get hold of you for cylinder work. The Ruger and I are getting along somewhat fitfully....

Boolit Master
    Bookworm, since you have access to a welding shop, just make different shaped molds for the various alloys. Make a mold with channel iron, and use it for let's say COWW. The angle iron would be used for SOWW, etc. You get the idea.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Bookworm, since you have access to a welding shop, just make different shaped molds for the various alloys. Make a mold with channel iron, and use it for let's say COWW. The angle iron would be used for SOWW, etc. You get the idea.
    Not a bad idea. since the COWW is already cast, maybe I'll find some channel for range scrap. Already have a "vintage" aluminum muffin pan that I plan on using for the SOWW.

As for the welding shop.... it's just me, a 1960's era Lincoln A/C buzzbox, and my delusions of competence. I can generally make things stick together, but pretty it isn't.

As they say -"a bit of grinding, a bit of paint, makes a welder what he ain't..."

I really appreciate all the input, advice, and kind words.

Bookworm
    Rather than standing all those panels and pallets up as windbreaks, get several more cylinders and make a chimney out of them so most, if not all the heat goes up along the melt chamber. You'll find that it speeds up the smelt, which will save you gas. The chimney doesn't have to go all the way up to the top of the chamber but you should extend the chimney several inches down below the burner so the breeze doesn't steal away the flame.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Master

RoGrrr

Those panels are a hinged 3-panel screen I threw together to use with the gas bbq grill. No trouble to just fold it open....

However, I have a buddy that is a tin-knocker. I have considered allowing him to supervise (make fun of me) whilst I knock together a truncated cone of some kind to act as a windblock/chimney when next I do this melting.

Boolit Master
    http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...CategoryExpand******************** I use this stamp set. the 1/4 inch set. It is well worth it.