MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming cases.

Boolit Master

Trimming cases.

Today I lubed sized deprimed, trimmed and chamfered inside and out 60 30-30 shells. It took me 40 minutes to complete the task. I used the Lee case length gauge trimmer with the benefit of a 4 volt drill driver. Set up time for each process was included in the time. I don't want this to be a contest but was just wondering how long it would take to do these tasks using other trimming systems. I have used other systems in the past and I personally feel the Lee tools I used are the fastest I have used especially using the 4 volt drill driver. The shells were all within .001 to .002 in spec for trim to length numbers. Any and all comments are welcome.

In Remembrance

I agree.

Boolit Master
    Lee should have put a 1/4" chuck shank on all those cutters. I put one on the shell holder plug and used it with power screw drivers, a drill press and various battery powered drill motors.
    They work ok if you don't want any adjustment. I much prefer a Forster driven with a drill. It is just about as fast and is adjustable to leave the brass longer for a better chamber fit.
    EDG

I too use the Forster. It is extremely fast and as EDG points out, can be adjusted for over length chamber trimming. I trim lots of .30-30 cases for lever action rifle competition. Shooting cast bullets, I want the cases to exactly fit the chamber.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a gracey trimmer for 308, 243, and 223 when I was competeing in NRA High power. it was fast if I didnt have a couple hundred cases to trim It wasnt worth getting it out. It trimmed chamfered and deburred all in one pass. I also have a homemade drill press trimmer similar to the forester stand and cutter that works pretty quick. One thing that speed up trimming is to turn the cutter so case can be changed with out waiting for it to stop spinning. Ont the gracey case is inserted into caseholder turned 1/2 turn and done pull out and drop in finished bucket. The drill press trimmer the cutter pilot is in the spindle and trim let raise change case while cutter is still running.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Lee should have put a 1/4" chuck shank on all those cutters. I put one on the shell holder plug and used it with power screw drivers, a drill press and various battery powered drill motors.
    They work ok if you don't want any adjustment. I much prefer a Forster driven with a drill. It is just about as fast and is adjustable to leave the brass longer for a better chamber fit.
    I have three chucks and two of them have the 1/4" chuck and one is round, it was difficult to use the round one
    I either had to chuck it up in a heavy drill or hold it in my hand. To use the 4 volt drill drive with the 1/4" chucked ones I rap a little duct tape around the chuck and the drill shank to keep it from pulling out each time I trim a case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I too use the Forster. It is extremely fast and as EDG points out, can be adjusted for over length chamber trimming. I trim lots of .30-30 cases for lever action rifle competition. Shooting cast bullets, I want the cases to exactly fit the chamber.
    I have several 30-30s and my son has one and three of my grand sons have 1 each so I find it much easier to trim to factory specs and I know those shells will fit all 30-30s, nothing wrong with custom trimming though. As for my self and my 30-30s I think boolit seating depth is ( one or two thousandths off the lands ) of most importance.

Boolit Master
    Lee trimmer works for me ,use it in an electric drill .

Boolit Grand Master

I have used the Lee trimmers and if you want a special length set a new pin in the pilot and grind to length desired shorter is even easier since all you need to do is shorten the pin. They can be modified and changed. Depending on thickness a shim of desired aditional thickness could be fitted under pilot also. I use the drill press trimmer alot but you need a drill press with good accurate stop, most of the newer plastic stops have to much spring in them

Boolit Bub
    Forster in a table top drill press.
    For some reason, Islamists are the only racist, sexist, homophobic theocrats the media can't summon outrage against.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have used the Lee trimmers and if you want a special length set a new pin in the pilot and grind to length desired shorter is even easier since all you need to do is shorten the pin. They can be modified and changed. Depending on thickness a shim of desired aditional thickness could be fitted under pilot also. I use the drill press trimmer alot but you need a drill press with good accurate stop, most of the newer plastic stops have to much spring in them
    Wrong Lee trimmer

Boolit Bub

I use a Hornady trimmer and it goes pretty fast once the right length is set. But, it can sometimes take a bit to get to that right length.

Boolit Buddy

I trim with the Lee, as I usually don't have more than 100 or so. I'm retired so time is just a play thing.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

I prefer exact sizing to how many I can whip out.

I have used an L.E. Wilson case trimmer since JFK was pres.
    I have 400 1972 Lake City match brass that are all the same size. .001+/- is acceptable.
    My new arbor press will be here on monday, then I can do handgun cases

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	276092.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	167728
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I have Lyman, Forester, and Redding case trimmers, and prefer the Lyman out of the three. But mainly because of the universal shell holder, and how quick it is to put a case in it. The universal shell holder has a live ball that centers on the primer pocket, and then a handle that locks the rim with a 1/4 turn. I changed it to a 1/4" shaft, so I put my drill motor on and zip the excess metal off in seconds. Never timed it, but would guess if the cases don't need major trimming (like when I'm reforming .405 Win. to .40-70SS) I can do a case every 10 seconds, and probably spend a few more seconds cleaning the mouth.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...720/720825.jpg

Boolit Grand Master

Trimming cases.

60 cases would take me about 10-20 minutes. The FL sizing would take the most time. I have three Forsters. Two of them have three way cutters, 22 and 30 cal. They all have the drill attachment on them. I don't do it for speed as you can screw up cases it you don't pay attention when tightening the collet. The three way cutters make make it so the brass is ready to load after one pass. Well worth the money IMO.

I've used the little cheapo Lee trimmers for a long time...I like to trim my brass (bottle neck rifle brass) about .008 to .010 shorter than the "trim length"...not too short...so that I can get lots of loads without trimming again for a while...I also neck size several calibers so never have issues with the brass growing..I find most of the lee "length gauges" are just a bit on the short size so they work well for me....I do check Lee's stuff with a good caliper when I get a new tool as there are some cases when the Lee stuff might be off just a hair. I've had a couple of the length gauges where I needed to just dress the tip to get the trim length I want...I put my electric drill in my bench vise and off we go...I also do the deburr and chamfer operation at the same time.

I use the WFT trimmers in an AC power drill. Put the drill into a bench vise and have a Harbor Freight foot switch. I can run about one case every 10 seconds. The only problem in doing a bunch of cases is that my fingers get tried holding the cases.

Got a RCBS prep station to clean up the brass but most of the times it does not need any cleaning up.

Boolit Master

I use a hornady Cam-Lock trimmer but only trim one small-caliber tapered cartridge. Bought it because of the quick case lock in & remove feature. Set up was easy, I used a micrometer to find a brass that was the correct length, set it in the shell holder w/o tension, pushed the shell holder shaft & brass up tight to the cutter head, lock the brass into the holder and set the shell holder shaft lock knob. It works ok BUT i think the shafts are not perfectly aligned. If I mike the case after trimming one side is 1.290" but miked at 360 degrees it can be 1.291". To get really consistent length while trimming I crank cutter handle several times (only need to trim about 20 cases at a time so didn't get drill adapter), loosen cam lock lever slightly so case can rotate with cutter, lock lever again, crank again and repeat process one more time. Then length is consistent 360 degrees.
    This sounds like a lot of work but can be done faster than reading my how-to. Trimmer is new so I will be emailing Hornady to express my displeasure.

Boolit Bub

I found on the Hornady to get square you have to insert the pilot before locking down the cam.
    I did 500 38 sp. cases yesterday. Trimming goes fast but deburring by hand goes very slow.