Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lee 158 gr. SWC-GC load to replicate Buffalo Bore Non+P 158 SWCHP

Boolit Bub

Lee 158 gr. SWC-GC load to replicate Buffalo Bore Non+P 158 SWCHP

Today was my first attempt to replicate the Buffalo Bore 158 grain SWC-HP non +P load. I need something to practice with that is close but not any where near a expensive.
    In my S&W M60-15 with a 3" barrel I get an average velocity of 906 with the BB loading.

Today I used the LEE C358-158 SWC (which were actually closer to 162 grains), lubed with BLL only and 6.0 grains of HS-6 powder. My average velocity was 819 fps. Very mild leading. Max for HS-6 is 6.3 grains and I can't find any load info for +P with a LSWC bullet.

I am looking for suggestions on powder to get up to the 910 fps velocity and still stay in safe pressures. +P is not an issue since this is a .357 revolver. But that said, shooting .357 out of this 3" barrel is not a lot of fun.

Thanks

Boolit Master

In a .357, it owuld be much easier to do what you want with mild .357 loads than hot .38 loads.

But if I wanted to do what you are asking about, 800-x and 2400 are two powders I'd look at. I have used both of them, just for kicks, to work up +p loads in my 2" snub-nosed .38s.

You might try CFE Pistol. I use 5.0 grains with 158-165 grain boolits with excellent results. They chrono at 950fps in my 6" model 14.
    That should at least get you close. The data I found on Hodgdon web site shows 5.3 for max.

Boolit Master

You've got a .357 revolver, why are you worried about max .38 spl loads? If you like the HS6 just keep adding it till you get to 950 fps. As long as you are below a .357 load you're safe. You can easily get where you want to go with unique,Power pistol, BE86 etc.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

4227 would get you right bout there in the shorter case and the shorter barrel..

Boolit Master
    I did extensive load development on this load that is known as "The FBI Load". With HS-6 I used ArchAngelCD's load of 7.0gr, which with your 3" barrel should net you about 900fps. Using AA#5, I found 6.4gr to be the sweet spot. And with Unique, 5.6gr works well. All of these are with 158-160gr hard cast bullets. Hope that helps.

Don

Boolit Bub

Thanks all,
    I have Power Pistol as well as AA#5, and 231. Have yet to locate some Unique locally but will keep looking.

Boolit Grand Master
    7.5 Power Pistol in a 357 case will launch your 158 grain boolit at around 900 fps. 5.4 grains might be about what you want in your 38.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-09-2016 at 02:49 AM. Reason: 38 not 357.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    To essentially duplicate the Buffalo Bore load, at levels of pressure that Alliant claims not to be Plus P, load 5.4 grains Power Pistol and a 158 grain SWC of conventional seating depth in 38 Special cases.....that way you'll be duplicating the Buffalo Bore load, which is put up in 38 rather than 357 cases. In my 1 7/8 inch 638 velocities approximate 840 fps, which is within a short hailing distance of the BB load. This will attain the 900 fps you desire in your 3 inch.

Since you have Power Pistol, and since it will attain the velocity you want at the (claimed) lower pressure levels, it seems to me to be the way to go.

In terms of velocity variation, especially with the powder forward agains the bullet, going to a longer 357 case to duplicate 38 loads is kind of a mistake unless you make some reasonable effort to keep the powder level or near the primer when shooting. Since this is not necessarily a problem at the range, if you want to load .357 cases up the powder charge about 0.3 grain or so.

Boolit Bub

Today I tried some Hodgdon CFE Pistol. 5.0 grains. It shoots right to the same point of aim as the Buffalo Bore SWC-HP Non +P load. I really like this powder and 5.0 grains seems to be just right for my 38. I may bump it up to 5.2 grains to see how it does with the 140 grain FTX bullets I also have. This 5.0 load should be good practice for use with my Buffalo Bore carry ammo.