RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    I made a Dillon 1050 tool head holder.

i tried to maximize the space as the Dillon stand sit flat on the bench. I decided to go vertical to save some space, but still keep them readily accessible but safe from damage.

Wanna trade even for a 650?

Those 1050s are slick. I really want to be able to justify one, especially with a Mark 7 on board.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Wanna trade even for a 650?

Those 1050s are slick. I really want to be able to justify one, especially with a Mark 7 on board.
    Lol, no thanks!

It's a really cool setup and I'm really happy with it although Dillon has not been the best to work with lately.

Boolit Master
    Lol, no thanks!

It's a really cool setup and I'm really happy with it although Dillon has not been the best to work with lately.
    I have a Hornady LNL that has worked very well for me and Hornady has been awesome to deal with. I have been looking at getting a Dillion. What do you mean they have not been the best to work with?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I have a Hornady LNL that has worked very well for me and Hornady has been awesome to deal with. I have been looking at getting a Dillion. What do you mean they have not been the best to work with?
    I have an LNL as well and hornady has been great to work with, I have a few Dillon products as well and was always treated pretty good.

This purchase was a pretty big one and I had a lot of questions before purchasing, they seemed annoyed to answer my questions and then when I placed my order I needed confirmation on something and no one wanted to help me. It took a while to give them a couple thousand dollars. The attitude seemed to be they didn't care if I ordered from them or not.

Then the press came in and I have a few adjustment questions, again they were annoyed to have to help me. And then there was a warranty issue that needed to be escalated to manager and they dropped the ball on me again, and I was trying to order another $800 worth of accessories.

I ended up having to deal with a third party company who was more then willing to help with the Dillon issues that Dillon was not willing to

The customer service was one of the worse companies I have ever dealt with, unfortunately they know if you want a product like the 1050 you are stuck buying from them. It's a great machine, but the customer support fell short of my expectations.

i was planning on buying a 650 but think I'll add another lnl to the bench.
    Last edited by Weber; 05-07-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I actually moved away from the LNL after having to tinker with something constantly to keep it running right. The concept of the press was wonderful, and the indexing was silky smooth, but I could never get consistent ammo out of it. I think the problem was the floating dies and the locking lugs for the inserts and bushings; if the locking lugs aren't all perfectly paralel on the same plane and height, it will allow the die to cant under pressure leading to inconsistencies. The problem will magnify itself if you swap the dies around regarding location or if they're not inserted the same direction into the same station each time. I really wanted the press to work, but after the problems I saw people having with the case feeder (and the price of that sucker!) I decided I'd rather move to the blue koolaid for not that much more money. The kicker for me was Hornady flat out refusing to sell the feed and shuttle pieces for their case feeder seperately to me. In an effort to force me to buy their $350+ case feeder they lost me as a customer for most things - if they had sold me the $70 or so of cast zinc parts I probably would still be running a Hornady.

Plus the aftermarket support on Dillon is amazing compared to Hornady, and I'm a big tinkerer. For support, I won't buy Dillon stuff from anybody but Brian Enos, his support has been amazing and helped me pick the correct accessories for my needs without spending unnecessary cash. He's been really patient with me picking his brain about everything from reloading, to what benefits .38 Super has over 9mm Luger in certain applications, and if those benefits still hold true today. Great books too.

At the end of the day the 650 has been more reliable and produces more consistent ammo for me. That's not even touching the production rates, but that's apples to oranges (case feeder vs. no case feeder).
    Last edited by jeep45238; 05-07-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Every press I own has required tinkering, but the lnl always produced great ammo for me.

Brian is great to work with, I dealt with him on my recent order and he was very helpful. I only order through Dillon because I get the military discount which I don't get through him.

Boolit Grand Master
    dryflash3, I'm envious of your wood working skills. Very nicely done.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The 9mm is as cheap as chips, but the 38Super is a much nicer cartridge. The slighty longer case makes it so easier to handle and to charge mags, etc. I have Colts in 9mm, 38Super and 45. I shoot 9mms by the thousand and am starting to get back into 45s (I'm going to shoot Wild Bunch), but I really have a soft spot for the 38Super.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    Every press I own has required tinkering, but the lnl always produced great ammo for me.

Brian is great to work with, I dealt with him on my recent order and he was very helpful. I only order through Dillon because I get the military discount which I don't get through him.
    How much is their discount? I go through Brian for his service, but I know he'll take off 5% for check/money orders since he doesn't have to do the processing.

If it's more than that, I may have to order direct and save some more bucks.

How much is their discount? I go through Brian for his service, but I know he'll take off 5% for check/money orders since he doesn't have to do the processing.

If it's more than that, I may have to order direct and save some more bucks.
    It's 10%, but only available to active duty or service connected injured retirees.

Boolit Bub
    No worries there. Do they need a copy of orders or will a CAC work?

No worries there. Do they need a copy of orders or will a CAC work?
    Anything that proves it should be accepted.

Here's sort of a reloading tool I made. This can be easily made with simple hand tools. A drill, hack saw, files, and a vise. I have an old Ballard schuetzen rifle set up as a breech loading rifle, and this tool seats the bullet into the bore, so a case of powder can be chambered behind it.

This picture was taken during mock up to ensure it would hook on the frame and function:

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Here's sort of a reloading tool I made. This can be easily made with simple hand tools. A drill, hack saw, files, and a vise. I have an old Ballard schuetzen rifle set up as a breech loading rifle, and this tool seats the bullet into the bore, so a case of powder can be chambered behind it.

This picture was taken during mock up to ensure it would hook on the frame and function:
    That is a ram. Nicely done.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    That is a ram. Nicely done.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk
    Thanks! It's actually a breech seating tool. Unless a "ram" is a complimentary term?

Boolit Bub
    My little homemade mount for my baby press. A kind soul donated a Lee classic press to me, and it just so happens that the front mounting bolt for the strongmount of my press mates up to the rearward most hole of the press and allows the ram to clear the table top.

I'm not sure if I"ll be keeping it there, I have a feeling this little cast press needs the load spread out a bit more for full on sizing. It did pretty well sizing without being mounted up to anything though.

Quick Change Press Plate

Hi guys,

I was always bumping my elbows into my presses on my loading bench when trying to work on something other than reloading, so I decided it was time to make my presses "Quick Change" in an attempt to free up valuable bench space. I uploaded a YouTube video of the finished product.
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member GOA, NAGR & Life Member OGCA
    CCW OH & PA

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Pretty slick JV.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Well done Johnny V

JV, Very nice.