Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Need help !

Boolit Bub

Need help !

I was shooting my raging bull with 300 grain Lee bullets over not enough h110 and I had a bad hang fire/squib . The gun went pop then.....boom. The cylinder opened hard and was full of brass colored unburnt powder. I brought it home and pulled the crane off and cleaned everything thoroughly but the cylinder still closes hard and rotates hard. I triple checked for powder between the cylinder and extractor. My next step is to pull the cylinder off the crane and check for residue there. Any help ?

Boolit Bub
    the only times I have had cylinder stick like that is when the ejection rod unscrewed from the cylinder due to recoil. I had to rewind the rod before I could open the cylinder. I used a small screwdriver.

Banned

Sounds to me like the crane bent. You had high pressure about like an SEE event in a rifle.
    Sounds like a .44 and several things cause it, too little powder and too much airspace. A magnum primer that moves the boolit soon increasing airspace and not enough case tension to resist the primer but that is hard to do.
    I have seen it with a few S&W's and never needed a tool, I straightened them by hand. Very soft!
    One fella bent his by whipping the gun to snap the cylinder shut.
    You should see one end of the cylinder near closing with more to go on the other end.
    I don't suspect the ejector rod. But it could have bent.

Boolit Master
    You said you cleaned everything but you said there was a lot of unburned powder. Check under the extractor for powder granules as that can cause binding also but since it sounds like this was the first cylinder full that my not be a factor. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    You said you cleaned everything but you said there was a lot of unburned powder. Check under the extractor for powder granules as that can cause binding also but since it sounds like this was the first cylinder full that my not be a factor. Hope it's nothing too serious.
    Seems he did, 3 times.
    The first POP was from the primer, driving the boolit into the barrel, Then powder went off with a bore constriction. Saving grace is the gap that bled off pressures. But still a hair away from a blown gun.
    Revolver shooters shoot stuff all the time that would destroy a rifle. I don't know what to do!
    I read all the time that "I DO IT ALL THE TIME" and hate that stuff. NEVER fool with H110 or 296. The powder is safer with overloads.
    That gun has damage that might be fixable. We do not know if the cylinder expanded or the frame was damaged.
    Why would anyone reduce H110? I bet the gun has a bent crane.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, missed that last sentence. Yeah, sounds like something's bent.

This old Boy oughta give you a good understanding of what may have happened. That's a complicated area of a revolver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRvNOCaWXM

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned

Very good video, thank you for that.
    It gives an idea how easy stuff bends.

Boolit Master
    Didn't realize they bent so easily. Going to get my Smiths out and check them. Thanks for posting.

Banned

good luck getting that Taurus fixed.