Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st leveraging,what caliber?

As far as a scope goes,which models eject to the side?
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Master

Win 94 Angle Eject & most Marlins

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    Win 94 Angle Eject & most Marlins
    You left out Savage 99s and BLRs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by edadmartin View Post
    Thanks for the great input, I do reload 45acp and like the idea of 45 colt.we rarely see them locally,in Colorado Springs. I've never bought unseen online, so I'd probably see more 30 30 than anything.

Someone mentioned the new Rossi 92 at walley world but I've heard very mixed reviews,they are either the best ever or lemons. My gun smith does have a 45 70 he offered me but that seems pretty big to kill paper,but maybe steel or bowlin pins, hmmm.
    If you all see something online or my local please give me a pm or email.
    You can always shoot round balls to cut down on your lead usage. Also, pistol and shotgun powders will work quite well in the .45-70 for lower velocity loadings. You can shoot rounds that can take a rabbit or up to ones that can take a moose, elk, or even grizzly. Very versatile caliber for a reloader.

A Marlin 30-30 for ease of cleaning from the breach, sheer fun at the range, and effective hunting tool. Then on your next birthday, decide that you need to add a Marlin 45-70 in case you ever go after something really big. Then on the birthday after that, go for something different, a less common caliber, commemoratives, or rarer collector item, etc.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You left out Savage 99s and BLRs.
    My bad! Forgot the Henry's too
    Last edited by clum553946; 04-12-2016 at 02:05 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The lever gun I am using in my avitar is a Rossi 92 in 357Mag. It s a brilliant rifle, I feed it with 38s pretty much exclusively and it is as cheap as chips to run and a whole lot of fun.

If it was to be a target rifle only, I'd try for the longer barrel, but I wouldn't sweat it.

If shooting a diet of 38 Specials, there is a chamber scraper out now called Slix Scraper, which is made by SlixSprings. Worth buying.

Old Winchester 94s are pretty common and usually reasonably cheap, but not as cheap to feed.

With a Rossi shooting 38Specials, you will burn a bunch of ammo, they are really fun.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 04-12-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Yes they are - especially suppressed

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Good stuff!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Man

I have Rossi 45 LC and 44 mag Oct barrel.... love them both..... if I had to choose I would go with the LC...... will be getting a 38/357 when budget allows,.... the price is great, and they never disapoint....

I forgot, I also have a SS Rossi 92 in 44Mag, nice little rifle and very accurate, but I'm not fond of the sights. The foresight is brass and hard to see. It is not overly fond of 44Specials, but feeds the mags slicker than frogsnot.

A lot of good advice/opinions here. I reload & plink with my Marlin Guide Guns & Outfitters in 444, 45/70 & 450.

I also love playing with my Marlin 410 Lever Gun!

Or this Marlin Trapper in 44 Mag

A 38 special or 45 Colt would also be great!

1895gunner
    http://1895gunner.com/
    Reloading | Shooting | Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I forgot, I also have a SS Rossi 92 in 44Mag, nice little rifle and very accurate, but I'm not fond of the sights. The foresight is brass and hard to see. It is not overly fond of 44Specials, but feeds the mags slicker than frogsnot.
    I have since had the 44Mag Rossi 92 at the range for a couple of plinking sessions and it went well. The foresight is brass or bronze and I found it difficult to see before. Thinking back, I used it at two ranges for cowboy shooting and it was summer and out doors. Under the covered range we have in my town, the front sight wasn't a problem. I will have to blacken it or replace it.

As I am unlikely to use it again for cowboy action, a peep sight and a new foresight might be in order.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    And exactly how much research have you done with respect to the nasal secretions of frogs?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    And exactly how much research have you done with respect to the nasal secretions of frogs?
    An expression I picked up here whilst being led astray by boolit casters!

I had the 44Mag Rossi at the range again today. It is a sweet unit.

Boolit Buddy
    I would go for the 357/38 because of the ease of using carbide dies. Cases are cheap and last a long time. With Lil Gun powder it performs better than ever. If you want to do volume shooting it can't be beat.

With a Dillon Square Deal B and a five cavity NOE mold you can really have a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by edadmartin View Post
    As far as a scope goes,which models eject to the side?

Using a Scout Scope setup it don't matter which way the ejector works. The fine folks on the Rossi Rifleman forum were the reason these particular mounts came to be.......thank you Ranch Dog and NOE......
    I have one..... and am fixin to order a second.
    On my Rossi, the rear sight conceals the pre-tapped holes that this mount fits onto.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewto...27&hilit=scope

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE scope mount on Rossi SS-45 Colt-16 inch bbl.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	167459
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 05-08-2016 at 05:27 AM.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

If you never expect to use it for hunting, a marlin 39 in 22 rim fire would be nice, a mdl 92 or clone in pistol caliber would be nice, mdl 92 in pistol caliber would be nice. I had a mdl 94 in .357 mag got rid of it because it would not cycle safely. I prefer used or older stuff as it works just as good as new stuff sometimes better and is sometimes cheaper and yes I like to keep as much as I can of my funds with me for other stuff I might want
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I certainly agree that a Marlin Model 39, 22 rifle would also be a great choice. This one is a Model 39AS with a 3 X 9 Bushnell on it. One sweet rifle for sure. I've taken a lot of squirrels & rabbits with it.

1895gunner
    http://1895gunner.com/
    Reloading | Shooting | Hunting

Annie Oakley's fav rifle!