Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog convulsions

What's his name? Let us know how he goes. It's terrible when family or friends gets sick.

Boolit Master
    There are just too many explanations for what we have heard here. Some may be things he can go on forever with, and others easily cured. But it really does need a vet's diagnosis to be safe.

Boolit Master
    Any blue tailed lizards around? Twice I've seen cats go into convulsions so severe it damaged their spines, and a friend's collie ate one and became permanently mentally disturbed.

Our old Bulgarian herd dog was bitten by a spider once and an hour or less later he collapsed and could not get his hind legs under him.
    I took a large beach towel and folded it to slip under his belly and pull him to his feet so he could practice walking. It took weeks but he finally recovered full use of his hind legs.
    To get him up the back steps I'd get behind him and raise one of his hind paws at a time to position them on the steps then raise him a bit with the towel. His fore legs were unaffected.

Boolit Master
    Too much salt can cause seizures in dogs. Happened to one of ours. Too much salt can be fatal to them. Mine love popcorn and that's what happened. (chihuahuas)

Boolit Master
    My Irish terrier has a thing for microwave popcorn. It only takes a piece down the side of my armchair, and I don't get any peace for half an hour. But he is several times Chihuahua size, and I don't think he will come to any harm on the share he gets. It is salt shaken liberally over things that is most harmful to them.

Boolit Master
    Our lab cross is epileptic started when he was 4 .epifan from the vet works but make him a bit dopey but very rarely has a fit now .he's 7 now .he was a rescue .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Our lab cross is epileptic started when he was 4 .epifan from the vet works but make him a bit dopey but very rarely has a fit now .he's 7 now .he was a rescue .
    Just like in humans, that can happen, apparently randomly, to anybody. It really angers me, though, that boxer dogs, in addition to a long list of other inherited disorders and a very high rate of death in puppyhood, have a high rate of epilepsy due to irresponsible breeding.

A few years ago the BBC ran a documentary "Pedigree dogs exposed", on the frequency of serious health problems caused by breeding for shows. The breed standards mostly contained fine-sounding words about activity and normality, but the trouble was, you didn't win shows if you did it. It produced a combination of denials and at least partial cleaning-up of acts, just like politics, which I suppose it is.

I had an extremely professional second mother, the daughter of Lanty Hanlon, my grandfather's Kerry Blue terrier, whose blood runs in champions around the world more than sixty years later. I could have tracked down a descendent, but the gene pool is very limited, and they do have health problems - not very grave ones, but the worrying thing is, they are the same health problems as in the early 50s. Kerry Blues are a big grooming problem, and I think they tend to be fighters - which Lanty was, of the most fatal kind. I still think he was probably fine with humans and non-combatant dogs, but I didn't fancy the risk.

So the 21st century Lanty Hanlon is an Irish terrier, for they're as healthy as a mackerel and he loves everybody. He has as good a pedigree as the other, and bred by a veterinarian, for we have done very well so far with farm dogs, casual breeders' dogs and a thirty-shilling petshop dog, and the last dog we might be young enough to cope with seemed no time to run out of luck. But we don't tell him that, so he thinks he is just a dog.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...es_convulsions

Look this over, Feeding Chocolate may be the cause.

Good shooting

Lindy