Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean excess lube from loaded rounds

Banned

I make a mess when I lube, gets all over everything, bench and press.
    I don't really size, just use the Lee dies to remove excess lube since my boolits are the right sizes.
    That leaves a film on boolit sides and the noses.
    After brass is shot in some calibers, I get lube blown back on it, .44 the worst for that. Others come out so clean they don't even need tumbled. The tumbler will not remove that lube and I don't use solvents in the media, tried once and just made muck. I would rather pour dry media out of brass. I tried commercial polish added once and won't do that again either.
    Many things just make more work and I hate work!
    I like lube on my boolits so to make loaded boolits shine is akin to weighing every boolit, MAKE WORK! Sometimes you stare at the mower and watch grass grow instead.

Boolit Master
    I've thought of adding some wax to my Felix lube to help keep it less messy, but that stuff works so good as it is I hate to change it. I've been using it for six or seven years and have had great accuracy from my 38, 40, 44, 45-70 and now 45 acp... and no leading.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Banned

True, I have shot hundreds and hundreds of lube tests and it is amazing how just a lube change can go from 3" at 50 to 1/2". There are a few that shine and Felix is one.
    The mistake is to look for no leading only. Many do that but what about accuracy? Lube is vital.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't think that lube would change accuracy, but I have tried others and always run back to Felix lube.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    I clean up excess lube using mineral spirits on a rag or paper towel when I'm the only one home.

I've also found that Johnson's Baby Oil, which ladies sometimes use as a make up remover also removes excess lube pretty well, and it smells much nicer than mineral spirits.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

I just put them in my vibratory tumbler and leave them until clean
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Bub
    Old hand towel misted with rubbing alcohol. Lay flat put shells on half fold other half over and rub till clean.

I've kept my loaded ammo in coffee cans un wiped for 50 years and never had a problem.

Boolit Bub
    I spray a little Gun Scrubber on a T shirt patch and have yet to find a lube it won't wipe off. Use with adequate ventilation especially if you're wiping a lot of rounds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I make a mess when I lube, gets all over everything, bench and press.
    I don't really size, just use the Lee dies to remove excess lube since my boolits are the right sizes.!
    That leaves a film on boolit sides and the noses.
    After brass is shot in some calibers, I get lube blown back on it, .44 the worst for that. Others come out so clean they don't even need tumbled. The tumbler will not remove that lube and I don't use solvents in the media, tried once and just made muck. I would rather pour dry media out of brass. I tried commercial polish added once and won't do that again either.
    Many things just make more work and I hate work!
    I like lube on my boolits so to make loaded boolits shine is akin to weighing every boolit, MAKE WORK! Sometimes you stare at the mower and watch grass grow instead.
    My exact thought. The less I have to mess with my loaded roundsl or brass the better.

Boolit Master

tumble with mineral spirits and media
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    The reason that I am even concerned about this at all is that I want to run an experiment. I recently bought a Walther .45 and am casting 452460 200 gr SWC with a OAL of 1.185. I finally worked out the issue with many failing to go into battery all of the way by crimping down to .469 which was suggested by a few folks.

My next challenge is to find out why each magazine ejects at least one live round, although another live round often chambers successfully at the same time. How can a magazine strip off two rounds? So... I am very thoroughly wiping down 100 rounds tonight... they are all getting very polished with a very thin layer of beeswax as I wipe and wipe them clean.

I really hope that this resolves the issue, although I also wonder if it has to do with having to seat to an OAL of about 1.185.

I will report back.

Randy
    Post a few photo's of your loaded rounds , there is a certain spot on that bullet that the case mouth needs to be located to to feed properly. I don't know the OAL , but I can tell you if you are too deep or not deep enough . There is a sweet spot .
    That was my NRA Bullseye Match boolit for many years , still my favorite all around 45 acp .
    Gary

Perma-Banned

Shoot it off of'em.

why each magazine ejects at least one live round, although another live round often chambers successfully at the same time. How can a magazine strip off two rounds?
    The lips of the magazines need adjustment. But others online have said its caused by a weak magazine spring. Reducing a maximum load may also fix it, by changing the slide timing/speed. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=455184 OAL.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 04-26-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Anyone have a quick and easy way to clean excess lube off of reloaded rounds without the chance of contaminating them?

I use Felix lube (beeswax/lanolin), and although I'm careful when handling the lubed boolits, my hands and therefore my loaded rounds tend to get a bit sticky.

Randy
    Try an old sock with a little mineral spirits added to the toe Dump in your loaded rounds and roll them around in the sock with your hands for a a few seconds. Dump them out on an old towel or T shirt and let them dry off. Only takes a few minutes and works great.

D

I just use paper towels. Takes the sizing wax off the brass and the lube off the bullets/necks just fine. But the is using single stage press, and just taking it easy. In the past when I would load on a progressive, 5 minutes in the tumbler with worn out media and all was good to go. -Somehow the media makes the bullets look dull, not nice and shiny like a couple twists with paper towels does.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I give them to my wife and she gives them back clean.
    same as my laundry.
    Does she run both through the washer and dryer?

Just askin'

Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I started using Hi-Tek coating and really don't miss the lube mess.

Banned

I am only concerned with lube on brass because it will increase head thrust. NO lube on brass. Lube on a boolit is what it is for.
    yeah there was some crazy stuff that needed lubed but they went away.

Boolit Grand Master

I lube with a Lyman sizer and the only excess lube is sometimes on the base. When I load these I will have an old towel on my knee and wipe the base off. I just touch the bullet to the towel and give it a twist. Sometimes there are a few bullets that get lube all over them when I have to readjust the sizer due to a longer or shorter bullet. These go back into the melt for next time.