Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use cankered bullets?

Boolit Master

not to sound like a broken record but melt and recast. Course I enjoy casting as much as shooting
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Vendor Sponsor

I would tell the person many thanks
    then I would melt and recast .. making sure I fluxed well to remove sand/dirt/grit
    That way you have a known good quality product to shoot without hurting your barrel
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

I'd have rejected most of them from the beginning.
    RE-DO..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    I'd probably melt them down and cast something fresh. They'll be oxidation and ding free. It'd be the easiest way to remove all of the oxidation and dried out lube. Boiling in water will get the lube off but then you have a pot of leaded water. I know this is a toxic hobby but at some point....
    Big Plus One - melt 'em down...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

just me, I'm kind of picky about my cast bullets, so rather than invest time "cleaning up" those, I would just melt and recast and make nice new bullets out of them
    μολών λαβέ

I'm all for remelting and fluxing, I enjoy casting myself.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by havfun View Post
    melt recast why risk it
    risk WHAT?

Tumble lube and shoot them...they will shoot fine as I have shot piles that looked like them and never had a problem. This thought that only perfect bullets shoot well at handgun velocities...is BUNK.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    risk WHAT?

Tumble lube and shoot them...they will shoot fine as I have shot piles that looked like them and never had a problem. This thought that only perfect bullets shoot well at handgun velocities...is BUNK.
    ----------------------------
    Perhaps this reader failed to notice the fact that the lubed bullet had been contaminated?

2. The lubed bullets have some of the lube missing and have been exposed to some dirt and grit. Could/should I melt the lube off with a heat gun and re-lube, or is there something else I should do?

Boolit Bub
    Let me clarify a bit.

These bullets were not rolling around in a bucket full of dirt, nor were they dug out of the ground. They have accumulated "stuff" that has stuck to the lube. The were in a bucket with other bullets (about 5 to 8) that were dug out of a dirt backstop from the looks of them.

Once I got all of the bullets out of the bucket, there was some dirt/dust/unknown material in the bottom, but not like it was ready to plant tomatoes. More like you put your finger in the bottom and say, "Hey, this is dirty."

So I guess to clarify, the were exposed to the atmosphere having no lid and accumulated dust etc. as could be expected sitting open in the front corner of your garage. Anything that is on them could be wiped off easily with the exception of what is stuck in the lube, which is why I asked about ways to remove lube.

I believe I agree about boiling water, seems like there would be a better way. What about cleaning with brake cleaner? How about cleaning in a automotive parts cleaner? How about using Gunk Engine Degreaser?

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bradley.moss72 View Post
    Let me clarify a bit.

These bullets were not rolling around in a bucket full of dirt, nor were they dug out of the ground. They have accumulated "stuff" that has stuck to the lube. The were in a bucket with other bullets (about 5 to 8) that were dug out of a dirt backstop from the looks of them.

Once I got all of the bullets out of the bucket, there was some dirt/dust/unknown material in the bottom, but not like it was ready to plant tomatoes. More like you put your finger in the bottom and say, "Hey, this is dirty."

So I guess to clarify, the were exposed to the atmosphere having no lid and accumulated dust etc. as could be expected sitting open in the front corner of your garage. Anything that is on them could be wiped off easily with the exception of what is stuck in the lube, which is why I asked about ways to remove lube.

I believe I agree about boiling water, seems like there would be a better way. What about cleaning with brake cleaner? How about cleaning in a automotive parts cleaner? How about using Gunk Engine Degreaser?

BW

Brake cleaner or acetone would be fine. Let them dry, tumble and shoot.

I am talking about something that I have DONE...not something that I have thought about, or heard about...I have done this with no problem at all. I have even shot most of them without any cleaning, just a light tumble...but it will only take a minute to clean them up.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for clarifying the condition. It would have helped to have that early on. Did you ever mic them to see if they are of suitable size to shoot?

Boolit Bub
    They measure .452, .452, and .314 .

BW

Boolit Master
    Well then, your only decision now is whether to follow the majority of responses or not. Either you like their answers, or you do not like their answers. Look at your equipment. Old rattle battle 45 ACP shooter, or Gold Cup? It is a shame to ask for directions and then turn the opposite way.
    Good luck.

Boolit Bub
    Well, not that it really matters but I have a 45 ACP High-Point that I can use the 45 cal. in. I am not real sure the bullets in the middle of the picture will feed. The .312 bullets can be used in my 7.62x39 or possibly my 30 carbine.

I thought that showing pictures would have made things plain but I guess that it did not.

I will probably do a mixture of what was discussed here. The worst I will re-cast. If it turns out that the ones won't feed, they will be recast. The better ones I will salvage by cleaning the lube off and re-lubing. The better ones that have no lube will be lubed and loaded, provided they feed.

BW

Use cankered bullets?

Well, not that it really matters but I have a 45 ACP High-Point that I can use the 45 cal. in. I am not real sure the bullets in the middle of the picture will feed. The .312 bullets can be used in my 7.62x39 or possibly my 30 carbine.

I thought that showing pictures would have made things plain but I guess that it did not.

I will probably do a mixture of what was discussed here. The worst I will re-cast. If it turns out that the ones won't feed, they will be recast. The better ones I will salvage by cleaning the lube off and re-lubing. The better ones that have no lube will be lubed and loaded, provided they feed.

BW

I would do exactly as you are planning. I don't load hot loads generally so I wouldn't be afraid of shooting the better looking ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1989toddm; 04-26-2016 at 02:09 PM.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master
    I'd remove the old lub relube & use them there may be grit in the lube & that could ruin your bbl. The oxidised ones I'd run through the lubrisizer & lube then use them too. The reclaimed ones would go into the casting pot? I love having things I can use given to me.
    Congratulations.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    Melt um

Boolit Buddy
    I'd look at a gift like that and be pleased to have more scrap to melt down. Unless you're absolutely without boolits to shoot, and have no time to cast anything new, why would this even be an issue? Shooting boolits of unknown origin, with possible contamination....

I'll give you 80 cents a pound for them.....
    Cogito ergo sum ego iacio (Google Translate)
    ------------------------
    Reloading and casting are like approaching a black hole; once you pass the event horizon there is no turning back.

Boolit Bub
    The biggest problem is that I don't have a mold for 45 ACP yet, so I can't just cast them into similar bullets. These just happened to be something I could use. I found out that the SWC bullets were 250 gr. and I can't find any reloading info for them even though they feed great. They will go into the scrap bucket. I have plenty of bullets for the other calibers I cast for. That is the reason I would like to use these bullets.

It is obvious that some of these don't need to be used, I get that. I guess I expected some kind of criteria to go by.

So some of ya'll seem to say recast even if they were able to clean up. If you had a box of bullets all lubed up and ready to shoot, that somehow got dumped out on your bench or in a drawer and got contaminated, you would just scoop them all up and start from scratch without even looking at them? I kinda find that hard to believe.

Wouldn't you at least try and salvage them?

BW

Last edited by bradley.moss72; 04-27-2016 at 08:34 AM.

The biggest problem is that I don't have a mold for 45 ACP yet, so I can't just cast them into similar bullets. /.../

So some of ya'll seem to say recast even if they were able to clean up. If you had a box of bullets all lubed up and ready to shoot, that somehow got dumped out on your bench or in a drawer and got contaminated, you would just scoop them all up and start from scratch without even looking at them? I kinda find that hard to believe.

Wouldn't you at least try and salvage them?

BW

That's EXACTLY what we're saying. Not worth the time and effort to clean contaminated boolits and re-lube, hoping that all the grit got washed off. Bullet lube makes great flux. Not having a mold is a correctable deficiency. Welcome to the asylum. Time to get your OCD on.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.