Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Winchester M 94 questions

Winchester M 94 questions

A local gunshop has a 1942 specimen that catches my attention.

1. For those of you shooting a Model 94 from that time period, what have you measured from a lead slug for groove and bore dimensions?

2. Which cast bullets have you found to be most accurate in your M 94?

3. Assuming good bores, do Model 94's from one particular time era or period of manufacture seem to shoot better than those from other periods? I'd prefer to stick with a pre-64 gun, but if more recent production guns are known to be more accurate I might revise my thinking.

Thanks. PBSmith

Banned

accuracy depends on the gun itself.
    I have shot 20" carbines and 24" rifles in both pre and post 64 and AE versions.
    the gun was accurate and worked well or it didn't/wasn't.
    the boolit mainl used here is the rcbs 30-150 fngc [I hear the heavier version does right well also] and the 311041.
    1800 and 2200 fps [measured in the 20" carbine] is where I keep mine depending on boolit weight.
    I mostly shoot the 150 and rarely shoot the 041.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1949 Model 1894 in 32 Winchester Special, and it slugs at 0.3208-0.321. I use CB at 0.322-0.323 and they shoot very accurately. I'm not completely certain of the slug measurements, but I use the same measuring calipers for slug and CB, so I'm confident my boolits are 0.001-0.002 oversized (oh-- and usually I use plain-based as I 'm working down around 1000 fps and have no leading issues). Comparing different time frames, my two are 1949 and 1968 and I am not a good enough shot to find out if one or the other is truly superior-- they both shoot better than I can see. They're both great rifles.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I'm sort of new to the 94, so my experience pool is pretty shallow. It is a 30 WCF.

I cast the RCBS 180 grain RNFPGC bullet of an approximate #2 alloy and load it over 15 grains IMR4227 and have obtained really good accuracy. I seat the gas checks, dip the bullets in lube, and size in a Lee 313 sizer die. I haven't measured "as cast" bullet diameters, but it was my intent in using the sizing die to crimp on gas checks without sizing the bullet itself. No lie, I have obtained 1 1/2" 100 yard group using a tang sight the other day.
    Last edited by stubbicatt; 04-24-2016 at 06:51 PM.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    I have many pre-64 94's every one I have shot shoots good unless it has a major problem. like a rotted bore I hunt with a post 64 nd it shoots just as good and saves on the old ones.

Boolit Buddy
    My Model 94's have ranged from 1904 to 1970's production, solid frame and takedown, 20" carbines to 26" rifles, open sights and receiver sights. In .30-30 caliber every single rifle has done very well with the Lee C309-170F. I cast these using 50% wheel weights 50% linotype metal (BHN about 18). Hornady crimp-on gas checks. NRA-Alox lube applied in a .309" lubri-sizer die. Standard large rifle primers. 30.0 grain H335. This is essentially a duplicate in velocity to factory 170-grain loads.

Accuracy will vary from one rifle to the next, and from one shooter to another. But I don't recall any of the Winchesters that would not deliver 3" groups or better at 100 yards, and that is plenty good enough to put the venison in the freezer.

Boolit Master

I've had a few Pre-64 Model 94s and with the exception of one, they have all been good and accurate rifles. I still own two (30/30 and 32 Special) and I'll probably hand 'em down to my son when I check out.

The older Pre-64s can slug a bit below .308" diameter and in fact, some of the commercial jacketed bullet makers offered a .307" diameter 30/30 bullet for them back in the day.

I'd not hesitate to buy the circa 1942 Model 94 if it is in good shape and the bore looks to be good. You can slug for its diameter and then proceed to cast and size for it once that datum is known.

While later 30/30s shoot well, I'd recommend staying away from any Model 94 made between 1964 and 1968 as their receiver finish is very prone to degradation and their followers and firing pins are prone to breakage. A couple of my high school buddies had major issues with this particular genre of Model 94 with routine trips to the Winchester authorized gunsmith to get these parts replaced on virtually new carbines.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-27-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf