Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: what do you do or did you do for a living?

ER Doc in small & medium size hospitals and livestock farmer.

Boolit Buddy
    Machinist and buggybuilder (horse carriages)

Boolit Master

grew up working for neighbor on his farm-7yrs, worked at VW dealer-2yrs, Army(combat Engineer Instructor Site chief-5 sites)-7yrs, civil engineer for 38 years, looking to go back to work as a mental health counselor for our military folks, they need someone who has been there and understands just what it means to be in the wrong place at the right time
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Forgot ambulance work when in college-2yrs
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    Scientist

Boolit Master

1. High school teacher of English, psychology, history - all but one class remedial students.

2. Copy editor for St. Louis Globe-Democrat.

3. Advertising copywriter for "Giant Octopus Conglomerate."

4. Junior college instructor in psychology and English - resigned when force was applied to change grades by department head, Marcus Hess (a pox on his name!)

5. Manuscript editor-book designer until health-forced retirement.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    WOW, some great back grounds we have on this site!

Mines a little of everything, gas station work until I got out of high school, a move to So Cal got me 8 years in production machining, then 8 years in the Paper Industry, GAF blue print paper I made the chemicals and applied the coatings, then a layoff of a few month then went to work for a dealer of cleaning equipment, sweepers and scrubber.

Hope a link is not out of line, www.marcoequip.com been here since January 18, 1985 and moved from service Mechanic to senior Salesman since "93" been a good ride, like the business and I'm cleaning up Los Angeles "One floor at a time", LOL!

Job gets me into many places the average Joe doesn't get to go:

#3 reactor San Onofre ( I actually leaned against it) 1988

watched the last Camero come off the assembly line in Van Nuys 1992 (?) now it's a strip mall.

Watched a space shuttle hit the run way at Edwards while installing a scrubber at the parachute packing hut 1994 I think.

Sat in a small flying wing, a 1944 Northrup prop job wing not the "new" one. That was in 88 I think when it was being restored, it's now at the Chino air Museum.

Lots of other stuff: Best One was being Mistaken for Dennis Franz while demoing a sweeper to 20th century fox in the mid 90's, I was actually running the unit on the street set when security came looking for Dennis!

That was a fun 15 minute!

Mechanical / Metallurgical Engineer. Worked in: Ammo / bullet industry, heavy steel fabrication, machine design, structural design, welding.

Boolit Master

Spent my first career doing what I wanted as photographer. I did some news including on screen nightly news in a small market. Met lots of interesting people there and later as the publicity stills photographer at a PBS station and some celebrities as well. I'll take interesting over celebrity any day. I knew my job at that place would go away due to changing technology so I started teaching myself about computers, back in the DOS 3.1 days. I had been putting up with indecisive people with impossible deadlines for 15 years and chose to not look for another job in photography when that one ended. I got some great new skills working on aerobatic aircraft the next few years and was offered a full time job in a computer shop by someone that knew me. In the 3-1/2 years at that job I learned networking and landed my current computer analyst job almost 19 years ago due to the networking learned and implemented at the small shop. I intend to gunsmith when I grow up.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Cabinet maker/Installer, counter top laminator/Installer, millwork and all around woodworker for 29yrs, nowadays I spend my days riding around and pissing off drivers at RR crossings as a conductor, after working like a madman this new job is like being retired with good pay.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    26 years as a Controls engineer for a large auto company (CNC machine tools, PLC control/ operator interface). Fun for a good while but I've got about 5 years left to serve of this sentence, has become more agravation than fun. 8 years before that with several other companies. Once retired, I plan to NEVER have to look inside another stoopid computer(or programmers head) or any other electronical contraption again! Can't really complain, 34 years making a pretty good living because fancy hi tech stuff dosen't work ALL the time, and when it dosen't they need folks like us
    Raised 2 great kids and just celebrated 34 years with my bride, hope to start that Grand Dad job sometime in the future!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Proud to say that I take money from lawyers! I have been a self-employed Law Office Consultant for 33 years now. I work on the business side of the practice, not the legal side. Technolofy, billing, accounting, practice management systems, etc.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Mold
    Pipefitter for General Motors, retired 10 years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I started working for my Grandpa when I was in 5th or 6th grade. It was a scrapyard. I wish I was into reloading and casting way back then, because I seriously can't imagine how many TONS of ww and pure lead I would have accumulated by the time I left there.

Now, I sit in my ladle crane and move liquid steel, 170 tons at a time.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Grew up on a dairy farm, Taught high school science for 25 years, retired and bought a sawmill.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kwwms View Post
    Pipefitter for General Motors, retired 10 years ago.
    So, you're the one responsive for the exhaust leak in the Chevy truck that I owned?

Boolit Mold
    Nope, we built Gran Prix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I'll tell ya one thing. Casters and reloaders never cease to amaze me with the breadth of knowledge they have over nearly every industry that has built this country. All seem to have one thing in common: imagination and working with their hands and minds with the need to always try something new "just because Heck, I can do that".

Kind of puts a very large dent in the "redneck hicks clinging to bibles and guns trailer trash" thing the left wants to depict us as. From what I see the average caster/reloader is far above the average American in every aspect
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    Retired Marine @ 40 , now have a Marine Electronics businesses.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Mowed lawns, worked at a drive in movie, pumped gas, harvested wheat, greens keeper asst. on a golf course, laborer in a carbon plant, nuclear ballistic missile crewman in the Army, volunteer fire Capt.,/EMT, then Forest Ranger until retiring in '04. I started casting in 1967 and still use the Lyman 45 I bought then. Enjoyed it all and still remember being astounded at getting paid holidays and paid sick leave when I started with the US Forest Service.
    NRA Endowment Life Member