RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: PCed boolits for suppressor use - coat front or back end? Other thoughts?

Boolit Buddy

PCed boolits for suppressor use - coat front or back end? Other thoughts?

Hey all - PCing has given cast a whole new life for me since I largely shoot through suppressors, and only one of mine is user-serviceable. Thus, being able to coat boolits and replace lube is a lifesaver! I'm using the HF PC gun.

I'm about to coat a batch of 9mm, and I'm wondering if I would be better off standing them on their bases to coat or putting together a setup where they sit nose-down in a smaller diameter case, which would fully coat the base and leave the tip exposed lead. Any idea which of these would ultimately deposit less residue in the can?

Seems to me that having the tip of the nose exposed would be the safest bet, but it would be simpler to leave the base exposed - thoughts welcomed!!

Anything else you care to share that deals with PCing, cast, and suppressors would be great as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks popper! So were that to happen, I'd just notice leading in the barrel? Will give it a shot!

Boolit Master
    I've always been told that the exposed lead on the base is what is vaporized and deposited in my suppressors. This is supported by evidence of leading in suppressors when firing standard FMJ where the only exposed lead in the base. I've thought about coating standard FMJ to see what happens, but in any event I would coat the base for suppressor use.

Boolit Master

Don't discount dry tumble pc for that application. Covers bases well and don't have to balance them on a case. This one was fired vertically into a 5 gal bucket of water, and I still had to dig 16" into the clay under the bucket to find it. Note the pc on the base.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150315_144601.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	166623
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Vendor Sponsor

I shoot many dry tumble PC bullets thru suppressors. anywhere from 900 FPS up to 1900 FPS (no gas check) So far I have not seen any PC or Lead buildup inside one .. Just the STD carbon buildup.. Keep in mind I did say Dry tumbled so my bases are all square (sorry old video game reference) my bases are all covered

Lots of them at 900 to 1200 FPS just a few Hunting rds at 1600-1900 (maybe up to 200-300 with all the load development)
    This would include 9MM, 300 blkout, 308, and 458 socom

one word of advice .. Make SURE your bullets are not tumbling BEFORE firing any thru the suppressor

Poppers advice is dead on .. make sure you have NO leading in the barrel after firing 50 or so bullets down the barrel ONLY ..
    Then add suppressor ..
    If using 147's in the 9MM you should be subsonic and absolutely have no base leading issues spraying and base not covered
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Shake, bake, load and shoot. Repeat as needed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Well, there is a lot of info here - thank you very much! I confess I'm still torn. I've read a lot about people wondering if there is any lead buildup at all from an uncoated base - normally it wouldn't matter in the least and wouldn't be noticeable but in a suppressor it's a whole different story - that means shortened service life. My 308 can was $1000 - not something I can replace easily if at all.

And I've got the HF ESPC setup, so naturally I'm inclined to talk myself into saying it's the best way - but tumbling does coat all the way around, problem solved. So then I suppose my question would be this - in several of the tumble threads, I've seen some pretty thin-looking coatings compared to the beautiful, even coat of ESPC - can I trust tumbling to give me a thick enough coat? I imagine so since so many people are doing it. I've got a few jugs of HF matte black if that makes a difference.

Many thanks, all!!

Vendor Sponsor

The other way to use the spray gun and cover the base is to spray nose down.
    Tryed that and it worked great
    Took some trays glued rows of hex nuts then covered with non stick foil.
    Used a bullet to punch holes where the nuts were.
    This worked very well.
    Nose is uncovered. There will be a line around the bullet with a buildup of powder.
    This did not affect my accuracy at all.
    Even had a few with lines at 30 to 40 degrees.
    Again no accuracy issues.

This is also an easy way to do real long bullets
    Pc is so light it seems to not affect/ cause an inbalance
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!