Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Dillon Square D or 450??

Boolit Bub

Dillon Square D or 450??

Hello,

I have an opportunity to by either one at the same price, both in good condition.
    I reload all my rifle stuff on a single stage and intend on continuing doing it that way.

The Square D comes set up for .45 ACP and the 450 is set up for .38 Spc

I will be reloading for .45 ACP, .38 Spc, 32 S&W Long and perhaps 9mm

I have no experience with either loader, I have owned a Lee Classic Turret and several single stage loaders.

For those with experience with both, which one should I get??

Thanks in advance,

Rudy
    "It's a good day for something"

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    As long as you are not left handed.....

Get the 450!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

might want to call Dillon tomorrow and ask if they carry replacement parts for 450. I'm thinking it takes many of the 550 ones but there might be some parts that aren't carried any more.

I love my SDBs but then I've had at least one since early 70s so pretty much everything is second nature to me by now
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Dillon RL450 presses are covered by their no BS guarantee. That said, they don't have some of the early manual priming parts. There are at least 5 different versions of the manual primer system. They can replace worn out primer parts with the latest version based on the RL550 priming system. They can rehab or replace just about everything else.

As for the OP question, since you already have dies, the RL450 might make more sense. The Square Deal requires Dillon unique dies. You'd end up replacing what you already have.

One other point... the Square Deal is a very compact press. Folks with larger hands, or stiff from injury or arthritis may have some trouble feeding it cases.

Have a 450 for sale right now. Replaced with 2 550s. The only difference I see is the removable tool head. And maybe a couple parts that could be added to a 450 if needed. Never had a square deal before but the look like a pretty good machine.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 450 that I bought years ago. I have since change it to a 550. the only thing it doesn't have is the removable tool head.

Boolit Master

I have large hands and do fine with SDB though I do know a few that can't handle the smallness of the press. One had to send his back and get a 550 because of this.

Since I started out on SDBs I didn't have to by regular and machine specific sets of dies for the same caliber.

Brian Enos' website has a good comparison of the Dillon machines
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I had a SDB in 45 ACP and it was excellent for that cartridge.

Like was said, it is not really that good for multi calibers and the price has risen (to me) where it has priced it's self out of it's nitch!

For the money comparable just go a littlec more and get a 450 or 550!!!

I'll keep my 300's! (smaller,tougher, and multi task!)
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.